U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 PM

11 posts, read 34,230 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will both need to commute into NYC, so that is a major consideration in where we decide to look for a new place to live. Also, we have children so the best education is very important. One of the children is a special needs student, so that is also important. We want the nicest (though not necessarily the most rural) areas to look in. But, I can't decide if Pike County (Dingham's Ferry, Milford, etc) is farther from the city than Monroe (East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg, etc.). Can anyone help? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:08 PM

31,629 posts, read 71,950,629 times
The Greater Stroudsburg Area would be the closest for your commutes. Personally though I would recommend the Pleasant Valley School District, which is just southwest of Stroudsburg in the suburbs of Bartonsville, Saylorsburg, Effort, and Reeders to you. My partner lives in Bushkill, Pike County, and why on Earth anyone would want to live so far from amenities with gas prices so high is beyond my realm of comprehension.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 PM

13,320 posts, read 21,311,774 times
Also the PV school district has a good program for special needs children from what I have heard here on City Data.
You'd be just off of 33, an easy access to 80 to NYC. Plus there is bus park and rides in the area. People do have to get up very, very, early to have a spot in line though.....so that is not a good thing.
The ride is long, and it can get very tiresome from other posters comments about that task.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Also the PV school district has a good program for special needs children from what I have heard here on City Data.
You'd be just off of 33, an easy access to 80 to NYC. Plus there is bus park and rides in the area. People do have to get up very, very, early to have a spot in line though.....so that is not a good thing.
The ride is long, and it can get very tiresome from other posters comments about that task.
Nevertheless over 10,000 people from Monroe County commute into NE NJ and NYC daily, so apparently it is possible. I wouldn't by any means recommend it to anyone with young children though. When kids are young they need their parents in their lives more than anything.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 34,230 times
Luckily, my husband works odd hours (he leaves about 3 in the morning) so the commute should be OK. Also, I may try to work partitime for a while I look for full-time employment in the area. I am not worried about the commute-it is doable. I am worried about making the commute even longer than necessary, however, and not finding the best place to live. Is the PV school district very small, however? Is this a good thing? Aren't those areas very rural. We are OK with rural, but not too rural. Any more info? Thanks everyone!!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianmom View Post
Luckily, my husband works odd hours (he leaves about 3 in the morning) so the commute should be OK. Also, I may try to work partitime for a while I look for full-time employment in the area. I am not worried about the commute-it is doable. I am worried about making the commute even longer than necessary, however, and not finding the best place to live. Is the PV school district very small, however? Is this a good thing? Aren't those areas very rural. We are OK with rural, but not too rural. Any more info? Thanks everyone!!
You're not very far removed from urban conveniences. The Stroudsburg area continues to swell outwards and now has many national chains like Target, Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. From Brodheadsville to Stroudsburg is probably about a 15-minute drive (Summering can correct me if I'm wrong). I also know that Summering heads to Easton a lot to do some of her shopping, so apparently that is somewhat convenient as well. The Pleasant Valley area continues to grow, and with that growth will come more shopping, dining, etc. in the coming years.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,877,378 times
Quote:
Personally, I would venture out for the weekend and check both counties out for yourself. Pike County is beautiful and commuting in to NY can be acquired in many different ways. If you set up residence in the Milford area you could always commute about 15 minutes to the Port Jervis Train Station. BTW, ridership has soared West of the Hudson, probably most obviously due to rising fuel costs. If you did not mind a further drive where trains were frequently available you could drive across Interstate 84 for access to the Beacon or Poughkeepsie Train Station.

In the Milford area including Dingmans Ferry, you have access to the Galleria Mall in Middletown NY or the Rockaway Mall in NJ - just off Route 80.

Moving to an area is a big committment especially when one family commuties, consider your options and do take the time to check things out - neighborhoods and all - you won't be sorry.

Best of luck.

Hat

Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 AM

13,320 posts, read 21,311,774 times
Quote:
No the school system is big.........The schools are not in the least small.
When I discovered the other elementary schools down in Polk all lined up, I was awestruck. I didn't know they existed for years

The schools on 115 have a nice big football field, now getting the new artifical turf. The outside areas are always full of kids playing soccer, and tennis.

We only feel rural for a second. Then you discover the huge, new library.
The gym, dance, and other classes that are local.
Also, this area is a hub for getting into Stroudsburg, Easton, Phillipsburg, and Scranton, Wilkes Barre within a decent timeframe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania