Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 27,682 times

Advertisements

fishing on the lake is strictly prohibited to Association members and their guests....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,733 times
Default Bishop Colony on Saylor's Lake

There was a little bungalow colony, with a dozen or so cottages, called Bishop Colony, at one end of Saylor's Lake. (The far end from the pavillion, which we called "Barthol's.") Is that still there? It was owned by George Kitchen.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 27,682 times
Bishop Colony was on one end of the Lake and it is still there called "Bishop Colony Cottages on Lake Pauponoming" (the original native American name for Saylor's Lake).The Barthold's Pavillion was on the opposite side which was closer to Varkony's Cottages which has long since changed hands and now exists as a restaurant called "The Hamilton" and a few modernized cabins which are for rent apparently either short or long-term. Hope this helps....Thanks, Tuna

Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,733 times
Default thanks, Tuna

I'm just thrilled to know that the cottages are still there! I had heard they were being winterized and sold, not for rental anymore. I currently live in Chicago, but have always thought that if I ever get to PA I'd love to see the place I spent 45 summers. Are there still those beautiful stone pillars at the entrance to the colony? They were made of big stones grouted together. Every year, when we drove through that gateway, it was such a thrill.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 21,357 times
Default Saylors Lake

I am so glad I found this site...I used to write a lot on a site thru the Pocono Record..I think it was Pocono Commuter...anyhow, for some unknown reason, I can't access that site anymore...I grew up in Saylorsburg and practically lived at Saylors Lake during my teen years (aprox. 1956-1961)....I remember a lot of good times and would give anything to relive those years...I'm sure most everyone knows that the pavillion collapsed a number of yeras ago from the weight of the snow on the roof...I remember the Tuesday and Thursday night dances...the Saturday night dances with such names as Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Daren, The McGuire Sisters, the list goes on and on....I can picture just the way it all was back then...pool tables, arcade, beach, the way we entered the beach by walking under the building....I remember the hundreds of initials and names (mine included) carved into the outside porch wall....I got to meet and make a lot of great friends there...I am planning to read all the posts made on this thread and write more soon...I am open to any questions...

Last edited by Skeeter115; 09-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: wrote the wrong day

Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM

I drove thru the Bishop Colony about a year ago after having not been there in at least 40 years and I was amazed at how much things had NOT changed which made me very happy.....

Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 AM

308 posts, read 445,712 times
I remember how disappointed I was when I heard the pavillion collapsed. I sent a lot of time (and money!) shooting pool and playing arcade games there. I was too young to attend any dances there. Just went for the games and the beach.

I was able to drive through the area back in June. Quite a bit has changed over the years, but some things were just as I remembered from 15 years ago. (geez I'm getting old!) It looked like part of the foundation for the old pavillion was still there.

I know that the Olde Saylor's Inne is still open. I was curious, is it mainly a bar now, or is it still a place to bring a family with young children for dinner?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,110,342 times
I'm pretty sure it's still a restaurant.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM

10 posts, read 25,102 times
Default bishop colony

Skeeter115, how exciting that you drove through the colony! Do the cottages look like they used to? Are those stone pillars still at the top of the colony entrance? Rowboats still at the dock? I hope one day to return, and I was worried that there might be some sort of barrier up so I couldn't drive through. So glad to hear otherwise!
Margalit

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM

Yes Margalit...The stone pillars are still there with the white globe lights on top of each one....I was also concerned about driving in there but it was fine and even though a few things are different I was amazed at how much "had not" changed....You can still look across the lake and see the wooden gazebo at the waters edge...The Lily Pond Lodge is now a restuarant by the name of The Glacier and in the upcoming weeks ( with the fall colors so beautiful ) is a perfect time to dine there at a table overlooking the lake...If you do this be prepared for a lot of old memories to surface that you have probably forgotten over the years...It happens to me evertime I am anywhere near the lake, especially the beach/pavillion area remembering all the great songs on that juke box in the pavillion....I still run into a lot of the people who hung at the lake and it is always great to talk about all the good times we had...I now live about 20 miles from there in the Easton area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania