Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,205 times

Advertisements

I spent many summers at Bishop Colony as a kid. From 1965 to 1975. If someone was there at same time let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 25,106 times
I was there!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,205 times
I name is Mark Gustave and my older brother name is Jim. We were from New Jersey but move to Nashville, TN. at the end. Do you know me?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Default About Bishops Colony

Hi to anyone that knows Saylorsburg and Bishops Colony. I spent my summers in the 50s and 60s in Bishops Colony. I'd love to connect to anyone that was there at the same time.

Bishop's Colony was a safe haven for a NYC girl. Many many wonderful summers. My description to people through the years has always been of a wonderful summer home on a lake, where all neighbors were like family, when I scraped a knee I could knock on the door of the nearest cottage and the 'mom in residence' would be there with a smile and a band aid.

Feel free to write back.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby Kowal View Post
Hi to anyone that knows Saylorsburg and Bishops Colony. I spent my summers in the 50s and 60s in Bishops Colony. I'd love to connect to anyone that was there at the same time.

Bishop's Colony was a safe haven for a NYC girl. Many many wonderful summers. My description to people through the years has always been of a wonderful summer home on a lake, where all neighbors were like family, when I scraped a knee I could knock on the door of the nearest cottage and the 'mom in residence' would be there with a smile and a band aid.

Feel free to write back.
Hi, Debby. I was in Bishop Colony from about 1948-58, and remember the name Kowal. Friends of the Tiegers in particular, I seem to recollect.

I took a sort of pilgrimage out to Bishop Colony last year, with Steve Fish, who you might possibly remember, as he was a bit younger than me and perhaps closer to you in age. I had mixed feelings: It was good to see the cottages looking very much the same as I remembered (except for the one my family rented, which burned down in the mid-60s). On the other hand, it was sad to see that pretty much all the recreational stuff was gone: no camp (Town Hall has been repurposed as someone's workshop), no boats or docks, no waterfront swimming area, no tennis courts. George Kitchen, Jr., the current owner, came by to investigate a report of suspicious characters roaming the Colony, and welcomed us warmly.

I took lots of pictures, and they are here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Most of them have descriptive captions and/or comments, and exactly how to access those probably depends on what browser you are viewing the pictures with.

Art Flexser

Last edited by AFlexser; 08-25-2016 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 25,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby Kowal View Post

Feel free to write back.
Hi, Debby! I just found this post; hope you still check this site. This is Holly from Bishop's Colony! How are you, Lisa, and Robert? I'd love to catch up.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margalitt View Post
Hi, Debby! I just found this post; hope you still check this site. This is Holly from Bishop's Colony! How are you, Lisa, and Robert? I'd love to catch up.
Send them a private message; if you have not so far. The last time they posted was almost one year ago and I doubt that they will see your post unless you either 'rep' them or send off a PM. Hopefully they still post on CD.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 716 times
Default Drake House Nana Kitchhen

I lived in Saylorsburg in the cottages for 2 summers and 1 winter in the big house across from the cottages. They called it The Drake House at the time. Young George Kitchen was a playmate. Lucy lived across the lake with her parents who owned or at least ran the Lily Pond. She was also a playmate. I lived there I think from summer of 1959 to 1961. The best memories of my life! I always smile when I think about Saylors Lake. Hi to George or Lucy if you are out there.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaKaren49 View Post
Lucy lived across the lake with her parents who owned or at least ran the Lily Pond. She was also a playmate. I lived there I think from summer of 1959 to 1961.
Karen: I tried attaching an image of the area as it looks now but CD gave me trouble....if you'd like DM me and I'll try sending it to you that way or via email....either way let me know....I live in Saylorsburg but to the west close to Weir Lake Road & Rt. 209....

Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
What's it like now? It's hot!

When I was little, dad's friend owned a cottage at a small lake. We usually just visited for the day, but stayed for the weekend a couple of times. The place was small, so mom, my sister and I shared a bedroom. Dad and my two brothers slept in a couple of Army surplus pup tents in the yard. I wanted to sleep in a tent, but they wouldn't let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania