Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,179,551 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell us about the area around Hanover St in WB? A real estate agent sent us some photos of a house there and we plan to see it this weekend. It is not far from someplace called "Geisenger" I may have mispelled that - I am guessing that its a hospital or a school. We really like the house and we would appreciate any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,315,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Can anyone tell us about the area around Hanover St in WB? A real estate agent sent us some photos of a house there and we plan to see it this weekend. It is not far from someplace called "Geisenger" I may have mispelled that - I am guessing that its a hospital or a school. We really like the house and we would appreciate any information!
Hello. Geisinger is indeed a hospital. The building there in South Wilkes-Barre is more or less just a major clinic now as most of the services provided by that hospital are being consolidated into the massive campus-like setting of the Geisinger/Wyoming Valley Medical Center near Bear Creek (with a major trauma center on the way).

I'm indifferent towards Hanover Street. There's a family-owned grocery store there (Schiel's Shur-Save Market), as well as a few other businesses like professional offices and conveniences. Traffic is a bit on the heavier side, but it's nothing extreme. I rarely hear of crime occurring on or near Hanover Street.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,252,101 times
Not a bad area (not the best either), Hanover st. is in South Wilkes-Barre, and runs between South Main and Carey ave. Mixed race (white, black, latino ect.) kinda densely populated neighborhood. Very close to Meyers High School, Geisinger Hospital, and Sans Souci Parkway (stores, shopping, restaurants ect.) Average blue collar neighborhood. Check out Abe's Hot Dogs on close by Barney st. It's a Wilkes-Barre landmark. Let us know what you think.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 PM

41 posts, read 238,550 times
Hanover Street in Wilkes-Barre has some nice older homes with some charm. Geisinger is a hospital on that street that will be quite different in the future. It will be closed eventually and probably be a smaller outpatient clinic and /or offices.The neighborhood around it is very mixed, some nice homes mixed with unkept homes. The area toward hanover township (the south) is safer but the area around Carey Ave (which is north-eastish) can be dicey. The Carey ave. area has improved since Mayor Leighton took over. The area of South Main Street by Hanover Street is safer than the area due north by the Academy/Hazle Street intersection. Take a look at the home and if it's decent go for it. Wilkes-Barre has vastly improved in 10 years and I think can only get better with The downtown improvements, riverfront project and current administration.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,252,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnurseguy View Post
Hanover Street in Wilkes-Barre has some nice older homes with some charm. Geisinger is a hospital on that street that will be quite different in the future. It will be closed eventually and probably be a smaller outpatient clinic and /or offices.The neighborhood around it is very mixed, some nice homes mixed with unkept homes. The area toward hanover township (the south) is safer but the area around Carey Ave (which is north-eastish) can be dicey. The Carey ave. area has improved since Mayor Leighton took over. The area of South Main Street by Hanover Street is safer than the area due north by the Academy/Hazle Street intersection. Take a look at the home and if it's decent go for it. Wilkes-Barre has vastly improved in 10 years and I think can only get better with The downtown improvements, riverfront project and current administration.
I want to second that, Wilkes-Barre has vastly improved under Mayor Leighton. At first I didn't care for Mayor Leighton, because he is a very reclusive mayor. He's hardly ever on the news, or at a podium boasting about the city, and I assumed that was because he wasn't doing anything, but he is silently turning this old, dirty, crime ridden town around, and he doesn't feel the need to brag about the amazing job that is being done, and I have grown to respect that. Crime is down to it's lowest point in many years (only one homicide this year so far!), he has beefed up the police dept., he is going to plant cameras in troubled nieghborhoods all over the city, and look at the tens of millions of dollars in major downtown projects, in all my 31 years as a W-B resident, I've never seen so much construction and improvements at one time, and there is a new vibrancy in the city. He is silently turning this city into a real gem. I've always felt that W-B had so much potental if things just starting happening, and people started to believe in this city again. And it's happening, people are starting to look at W-B in a new light. They have pride in thier city again, and that hasn't happen in a very long, long time. I just hope it continues.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 121,308 times
I second that! We have seen a remarkable change since we moved here just 5 years ago. Every lovely old home that gets bought (cheap) and remodeled and cared for is a real plus for the neighborhoods, and we are seeing more and more of these every day. (including our own) I think people in more expensive areas of the country would do well to grab up some of these lovely old homes while they still can. They just don't build them like this anymore. We have been quite happy here.
Kudos to Mayor Leighton! He's been doing a helluva job!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM

183 posts, read 609,333 times
after going up and living very many years in South Wilkes-Barre, I would recommend you would live there, you are close to many things there are though there is traffic depending on what block you are looking at.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 AM

23,885 posts, read 32,179,551 times
Thanks for all the responses and help. We will be seeing the house this weekend. How are the schools in the area. Do you know what middle, elementary and High school the kids would be going to? Again thanks for all your help.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 AM

134 posts, read 291,090 times
Hanover street is lukewarm. Its defined by the High school the Hospital and now the Supermarket. they would be going to Kistler(k-6) and Meyers(7-12) Meyers is about 900 students(or at least was 6 years ago) and is average for the most part. 2 more blocks over and your in Hanover. Income tax there is 1 percent instead of 2.85.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM

183 posts, read 609,333 times
Meyers is a preety good school and so is Kistler, by means of teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania