Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I have been in truly bad areas like Asbury Park, NJ or Cherry Hill, NJ or Girard Ave in Philly and these areas make Stroudsburg look tame.

Cherry Hill, NJ is bad? I've always heard that Cherry Hill is a nice, upper-middle-class town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Lowe's only leases the property from the company that owns the West Side Mall, so law enforcement is out of our hands.
Could you expand on this a bit, please? Do you mean that the managers cannot expect a response from Edwardsville cops if they call? That they couldn't press charges?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I used to go to that Walmarts all the time as it was the closest one around and a quick ride from Marshalls Creek flea market. Now w/ the price of gas as well as other fairly new Walmarts in my area, I don't have to go that far very often (unless I want to go to flea market or the candle factory). I almost only shop during the day but it's appalling that you have to watch your back in the middle of the nite, when you're just doing shopping. Scary.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I almost only shop during the day but it's appalling that you have to watch your back in the middle of the nite, when you're just doing shopping. Scary.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you pretty much have to watch your back during the day, also.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:58 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you pretty much have to watch your back during the day, also.

LOL, Phil you are right. There are more problems during the day. That is when people cases houses, etc. Most do not suspect something to go wrong during the day which makes people EZ targets.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I remember taking a trip for work to New York and we got lost in Newark and it looked bad. I think maybe Stroudsburg is starting to become in this way. I tried to pass a traffic jam on 80 once by going through Stroudsburg and was stunned by how bad the town looked. Forget about living in a shell and just live carefully anywhere you go. I have been in truly bad areas like Asbury Park, NJ or Cherry Hill, NJ or Girard Ave in Philly and these areas make Stroudsburg look tame.

Still, it is a shame to hear about Stroudsburg but I don't believe the Valley will be seeing this because of better infrastructure in the city government here. Either way, we all just need to suck it up and realize the problem of hoods is not going to go away.
Stroudsburg is starting to look like NEWARK? As someone who grew up traveling with my dad to work a lot as a kid (he owns a business in Newark) I would never imagine this! I've only been to Stroudbsburg a few times, last probably in 2005 when hubby and I were just beginning to explore leaving NJ and heading to NEPA. I remember stopping at a gas station out there to get a map of the area, and the guy behind the counter warned me against different areas/developments, etc. Then, we'd check them out anyway, and they didn't look on the outside to be what everyone claims them to be, crime-filled areas. I have to say, unless from the outside the area has changed drastically in 3 years, it's very deceiving to outsiders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania