Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,492 times

Advertisements

We have decided to wait until next year for the coal/pellet stove, and so will be primarily using propane to heat our home this year. This will be our first winter here, and first time using propane (we've always had electric or oil heat). My question is...is NOW the time to buy propane? Does it usually increase in price in the fall approaching winter, or does time of the year really have nothing to do with it? We were quoted two different prices by 2 places today...$2.39 a gallon, and $2.79...quite a difference. We don't know whether $2.39 is considered a good deal or not since we've never had to purchase it before. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,551,984 times
That is a pretty good deal. We were paying $2.84/gallon and then it was going up to $3.04 a gallon. Consider a budget plan, but you have to be a customer for a year with good credit. It can go up but ours was pretty steady, and now we do not use propane.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,068 times
My propane co. Ace-Robbins gave me a pre-buy of $2.85. Then I got a REAL early delivery priced at $3.00 !!!! I think that was just a ploy to take the pre-buy !!!
They have NEVER delivered before mid-September. I am going to shop around, I hear Hines is reasonable here in the Lake Winola area. It gets to the point, I don't care if I switch every year !!! That extra dollar is better in my pocket than theirs !!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
One thing to keep in mind is propane and oil are subject to volatile market values. If the price shoots up 50 cents overnight thats what you're going to pay unless you have a contract for pre buy. Those markets can be very volatile so you don't want to be stuck holding the bag. It's certainly possible that you might get a cheaper price later but with winter approaching the chances of that are slim especially this year. A higher cost is just about a given and a much higher cost is possible given the current energy situation.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One thing to keep in mind is propane and oil are subject to volatile market values. If the price shoots up 50 cents overnight thats what you're going to pay unless you have a contract for pre buy. Those markets can be very volatile so you don't want to be stuck holding the bag. It's certainly possible that you might get a cheaper price later but with winter approaching the chances of that are slim especially this year. A higher cost is just about a given and a much higher cost is possible given the current energy situation.

Coalman, Is it true that many companies are not offering the pre-buy now because of the market? I know that Pocono Oil is not offering the pre-buy....other companies following this?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
I really don't know, it was always my assumption that they took the money the consumer gave them and purchased in bulk contracts.

You have to be careful though,. there was few companies that went out of business because of the pre bought oil. There was one dealer up in Tunkhannock area, from my understanding the one year he didn't get the contracts and the oil never went up and he made a bundle. Tried it next year and oil shot through the sky and he went out of business in few short months. All his customers that had pre paid were left with nothing. If the company goes out of business you most likely will lose your money. I'd only do it with well established companies.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 18,038 times
Default $2.39 for propane

Wow - that is a GREAT price. Would you mind sharing the company that gave you that offer? Thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,289 times
I called Locklin gas and they told me that propane was $2.29 per gallon. That was 3 days ago.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I called Locklin gas and they told me that propane was $2.29 per gallon. That was 3 days ago.

How did you get the price of 2.29 a gallon off them??

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
How did you get the price of 2.29 a gallon off them??
We just filled up our tanks the other day at $2.29 a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania