Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,770 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently in the radio business and living out in central NJ. I want to relocate to NEPA. I have applied to many radio jobs in the area, but never got a call back. I found out the reason why was because I wasn't a local person, and the radio companies thought I would be asking for relocation fees or something. I'm not sure how well of an answer I will get here, but I am asking anyways... How good is the radio market in NEPA? Do they hire a lot, always looking for employees? I am thinking of relocating to NEPA without a job, and then applying to as many jobs as I can find. I'll get a temp. job until I get a permanent job doing something in radio. Also, what would be a good area to move to? I have found really cheap apartments in Wilkes-Barre, where $500 a month for rent with everything included. Much cheaper than here in NJ. I appreciate all the help I get! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
I'm not sure what type of job you're looking for in the radio business, but you might want to look up Kerry Kane (she has a MySpace) and shoot her an email on there. She was a DJ on a station that just recently went under here in NEPA, "The Q" and might be able to tell you about the market up here (and ask her why they replaced a perfectly good top 40 station with an oldies station while you're at it if you don't mind!) She's really nice and responds to emails usually. I also know one of the Froggy 101 DJ's who is a client of ours, and could ask her a couple of specific questions if you want to PM them to me.

I just moved here to Dallas (back mountain area) from NJ in March, so the area is still relatively new to me, but I *do* know that salaries out here are so drastically lower than in NJ that you might want to make sure you have something lined up before heading out here. I almost fell over when I started looking for jobs out here and saw what they were paying. As it turns out, I ended up taking a $20K a year paycut to live out here....and as for the "Cost of living being cheap", housing is cheaper, but not much else really is that I've noticed.

As for areas that would suit you...well, there are far more knowledgable people on here that will help you out with that, I'm sure

Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Check out Entercom, Wilkes-Barre of Northeast Pa. They own a few radio stations out here, and they have been running alot of commercials looking to hire. Also Rock 107 out of Scranton is hiring for drive time DJ's. As far as living in Wilkes-Barre, I think you'll like it. Downtown is a good bet. It is bookended by two colleges, so it has a young vibe to it. Downtown Barnes and Noble, brand new movie theater, various restaurants, bars, music stores, and a brand new Riverfront Complex with an amphitheater, boat launch, and fishing piers is nearing completion very shortly. If you are young, and don't have children that's where I would move. If you're looking more for a neighborhood, then some good neighborhoods are: East End, Northend, Brookside, Parsons, Miners Mills, parts of the Heights a.k.a (anything north of downtown), I'd avoid South Wilkes-Barre, and Iron Triangle (they are the most crime prone areas of the city). I used to drive taxi in the city, so I know Wilkes-Barre like the back of my hand. If you need any info. on certain streets or neighborhoods in the city, just let me know. I'll try to guide you in the right direction. Good Luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 AM

343 posts, read 603,864 times
For a true view of radio in NEPA, go to www.radio-info.com and go to the boards section and the Northeastern PA thread. You will find all the inside info on radio stations in the area. I would not recommend being in the business here for various reasons (you'll see why on that message board) What part of the radio business are you in or want to go into? On-air I would be more leery of than sales. Kerry Kane was mentioned in an earlier thread. She along with her morning show partner, Keith Edwards, got the shaft from Times-Shamrock (go to the Gary In The Morning Thread - Keith discusses what happened on Gary's internet show). There aren't any really good companies to work for out here and yes, you will definitely take a pay cut moving from NJ to PA. Lower cost of living here yes, but, it gets harder and harder to make a living here as well. I could go into more detail about the radio biz toward the end of the month, but I'm sure you don't want to wait until then.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,770 times
I appreciate all the help, you guys. I am mainly looking for a production job, nothing on the air or anything to that extent. Currently, I make $25,000 a year at my job here in NJ, so how much worse can it be in NEPA, right? I am just going to keep searching around. I have found some things and I am sending my resume out tomorrow to some locations. Thanks guys. Any more insight? I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Heck you can make that much or more here I think! I've seen some radio ads in the local Sunday classifieds over the last few weeks. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
I'm in a completely different field, but when i was trying to get a job lined up in phoenix no one would talk to me. I got here on a friday and had quite a few places lined up for the following monday, as soon as i had listed a local address on my resume they hit like crazy. Now understand the job market out here was in desperate need of my position, something that may not be the case in NEPA.

What I would do if in your position and location is drive into NEPA and get a PO box. List the NEPA PO box as your mailing address on your resume. This will convey that you are local, or will be local soon. Its not uncommon for people new to the area to keep their old cell phone number for a little while, but if your really serious pick up a prepaid 570 cell phone number while you are getting that PO box. A more local look to your resume can get you more attention, and you are close enough that you can drive in for the interview if you get a call. Keep in mind that there may not be any openings in the area though, and competition may be tight between locals who are qualified for the job.

I would guess that scranton and wilkes-barre would hold the most opportunity for you, so a mid ground PO box in pittston would be ideal. Pittston is pretty close to both cities so you won't get ruled out for being too far.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Yes I completely agree with scout, we had the same problem when sending our resumes with a NY address. Now my sister is looking to move out here and we use my address on her resume. Silly how people think, but it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania