Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremontpa View Post
Many people across the stae are rude and inconsiderate. I know many kids at my central penn suburban school act the same way as that local redneck you mentioned. It is sad that people can act that way.
This was in the heart of Downtown Wilkes-Barre, which is probably the most diverse city in NEPA, judging by what I've experienced. One would think that a city that has the region's largest African-American population, a large Jewish community, a large LGBT community (and PrideFest for that matter), a surging Hispanic population, etc. would be much more tolerant of diversity. I would expect to have someone shout that at me in Noxen, for example, where the town is 99.99% white, non-Hispanic and heterosexual, but why in a city like Wilkes-Barre, which is probably only about 85% white, non-Hispanic, and heterosexual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It's affordable, yes, so is going to McDonald's.
Haha, very true. I like to think of Scranton as more of a Falafel stand than a McDonald's.

It's got character: You can get a great, old house for very cheap. The area has some pretty good, non-chain restaurants that are reasonable. And of course, it's got it's own accent.

But, it's not glamorous: There's a lack of high-paying jobs and many modern urban amenities. You're not going to see any celebrities around for better or worse.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
Still though, there are the inconsiderate and judgemental people everywhere. Its hard to avoid it anymore. It is very sad.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
This was in the heart of Downtown Wilkes-Barre, which is probably the most diverse city in NEPA, judging by what I've experienced. One would think that a city that has the region's largest African-American population, a large Jewish community, a large LGBT community (and PrideFest for that matter), a surging Hispanic population, etc. would be much more tolerant of diversity. I would expect to have someone shout that at me in Noxen, for example, where the town is 99.99% white, non-Hispanic and heterosexual, but why in a city like Wilkes-Barre, which is probably only about 85% white, non-Hispanic, and heterosexual?
Don't let one idiot guy ruin your day Paul, He probably works as a dishwasher at the Woodlands making 8 bucks per hour and hasn't had a good sleepover in a decade.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
I would agree with chefkey. Along with the rude people there are still many more accepting people out there.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 AM

41 posts, read 239,508 times
Quote:
the statistics of an area mean nothing when one idiot makes a bigoted remark. I've traveled all over, liberal and conservative areas and you could get comments yelled at you in any area if one person takes offense to how someone looks or acts. There are gay bashing crimes in San Fran as well as in Birmingham, Alalbama. You are never safe from crime or hatred in any part of the world except on a deserted island. I think you should not dwell on it and don't give an idiot free rent in your head.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Yeah I agree, Wilkes-Barre is growing very diverse, and from what I see in this city, everyone seems to get along and tolerate each other just fine you can't judge an entire city or region, because one loser yelled something from his window.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 PM

134 posts, read 292,512 times
Quote:
You need to realize that all of this diversity(minus the Jewish pop) happened in the last 10 years. It is a BIG change. Im 25 and a when I was in elementary school I didn't even know where to find someone that wasn't white. My dad told me a story about the first time he saw someone black at the age of 8. He ran and hid. Its interesting since this was a stopping point for the underground railroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania