U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Scranton, Wilkes-Barre: historic downtown,

Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

131 posts, read 256,798 times

Advertisements

Ill admit it, Scranton is the better city. Architecture ,wages, recognition it wins in all categories. The old "Us vs Them" philosophy is pointless because it’s no different then "Apples Vs Oranges". At best I could hope that Wilkes-Barre becomes a suburb of Scranton but I don’t know that Scranton will ever have enough greatness to ship 15 minutes south. In all rational thought they should have gotten the arena. There just isn’t enough to go around and it’s only if Scranton could have become like Allentown and led the pack then we could have been like Bethlehem or Easton(there was actually a housing boom in the Lehigh Valley, where is my crippling housing boom? I feel left out not having an intrest only mortgage).

[SIZE=3]Sorry Hazelton but you are your own bag, there are mountains between here and there. Might as well be a suburb of Pottsville. I suppose you could have been Easton though.[/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,176,257 times
I think the argument of one versus the other is childish. The region is close enough to be all one area, and either would be missing something without the other. I don't understand why the locals think they are so far away from each other, but then again I recently read somewhere that the metro area i live in has more square mileage than new jersey....

Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
I think the argument of one versus the other is childish. The region is close enough to be all one area, and either would be missing something without the other. I don't understand why the locals think they are so far away from each other, but then again I recently read somewhere that the metro area i live in has more square mileage than new jersey....
Yes. I should have put more emphasis on 15 mins south. It seems like 2 days on a wagon train to many people. The point of the post though is that we really are in competition for everything good that could come to this area and if instead it was all focused on the only decent city in the area it would be a better thing for the area as a whole.

Last edited by bobconan; 09-08-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,176,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
Yes. I should have put more emphasis on 15 mins south. It seems like 2 days on a wagon train to many people.
When i lived in W-B and worked in Scranton the owner of the company I worked for asked me if I needed a passport to get home. My parents live about 15 minutes from Cinemark, and say its too far away since its in Scranton. But they love the new theater in W-B, it takes them about 20-25 minutes to get there. Its really a mind boggling thought process the locals have....

Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM

31,453 posts, read 70,735,062 times
The elitist attitude of most people in the Wyoming Valley/Wilkes-Barre area towards their counterparts in Lackawanna County is downright disgusting. Working at Lowe's I'll often volunteer to call our other regional stores for our customers in an attempt to locate hard-to-find items, and even though Scranton is only 20-25 minutes "up da line" from Edwardsville, people often grimace when I mention the city and ask me to check into FURTHER stores like Bloomsburg, Hazleton, etc. first. Why? If anything Scranton's residential architecture puts Wilkes-Barre's to shame (save for the Historic District of course). Drive through Parsons, Miners Mills, The Heights, etc. and see nothing but block after block of white aluminum-sided homes mangled on top of one another. Meanwhile Scranton's neighborhoods, even the more working-class ones, offer something for everyone in the way of architectural variety. It's as if in Wilkes-Barre's heyday the residents said "let's build our houses as cheaply as possible" and in Scranton's heyday the residents said "let's build our houses as attractive as possible. Say what you will about the crime issues in the Hill Section, but that neighborhood's architectural variety is amongst the best in Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Sorry to seem petty, but while I admire all that Wilkes-Barre's Mayor Leighton has been doing to pro-actively encourage redevelopment in the Diamond City, the "holier than thou" attitudes of many W-B residents towards those in the Electric City is very disgusting. If anything one would think Scrantonians would be the elitists, since their median household income is so much higher, but I digress.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM

80 percent of Wilkes-Barre was built between 1920 and 1940 so that the coal slaves could have somewhere to sleep at night. If you want a memorable experience then go pretend house hunting and see what people are actually selling in the 30 - 50,000 range. My house would probably have been torn down in New Jersey

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,815,346 times
I'll still take Wilkes-Barre over Scranton. Wilkes-Barre hasn't hit it's peek yet, but when it all comes together it'll be something to be proud of. Remember, Wilkes-Barre was dealt a serious blow when The Agnes flood came through, and it never really recovered after that. Finally after 30 years this city is making some serious strides, and in about five years I think W-B will really be able to give Scranton a run for thier money. As of Wilkes-Barrian's acting "eletist" towards Scranton! that cannot be further from the truth. It's the other way around. There is even a whole web site dedicated to comparing W-B to Scranton, that trys to paint Wilkes-Barre as a bunch of red neck hicks while painting Scranton as some high flutin' metrosexual city. You've probably seen this site, the one that says" in W-B Copenhagen is found under the chewing tobacco section, where as in Scranton it is found under the international cities section" ha, ha, ha. Well I work at a company that has both W-B and Scranton employee's and they talk the same, get paid the same ect. Both cities have similar demographics, unemployment rate, wages, housing stock they are really like twins in just about every statistic, So I don't understand why people try to act like they are worlds apart. This is silly anyway, we should be competing with The Lehigh Vally ect. instead of eachother in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania