Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

As if Scranton's fortunes these past few months couldn't have been any worse, I now see via the Scranton Times-Tribune that a popular blogger from the UK has slammed the Electric City into the ground using a term I can't even mention due to this forum's anti-profane policies.

Steven Wells: Why the American Office is a shadow of the original | Culture | guardian.co.uk

Ouch! Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As if Scranton's fortunes these past few months couldn't have been any worse, I now see via the Scranton Times-Tribune that a popular blogger from the UK has slammed the Electric City into the ground using a term I can't even mention due to this forum's anti-profane policies.

Steven Wells: Why the American Office is a shadow of the original | Culture | guardian.co.uk

Ouch! Discuss.
Ahh, more excellent Scranton name recognition, that we redneck Wilkes-Barrian's are so jealous of. My "inferiority complex is spinning out of control" Actually, I've never seen the original British version of "The Office". Now I'm curious to see if it's any good. Or if it's anything at all like the American version. I've only seen The Office two or three times, because I work second shift (when it is on). It's kinda funny in a wierd sorta way.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
I'm more offended by his dis of the American Office than of Scranton. I was a fan of the British one, but yes I do actually like the American one better, if you can imagine such a moronic view.

His only valid point is that Michael Scott has become rather 2-dimensional-- I found him more complex and sympathetic very early on. But, there's nothing sympathetic about David Brent to me-- he became painful (not in a good or interesting way) to watch by the end. And the whole cast of American characters I find even more interesting than the British ones. Maybe it's cultural; maybe I worked with more people like them.

What he says about Scranton is pretty much true, though. On the plus side, I have a friend who's originally from Slough who came to visit Scranton this summer. In his words "this place is much better than Slough." I guess that's not saying much though...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
What he says about Scranton is pretty much true, though. On the plus side, I have a friend who's originally from Slough who came to visit Scranton this summer. In his words "this place is much better than Slough." I guess that's not saying much though...
That's like saying Edwardsville is prettier than Camden.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Spot on commentary of the Electric City and The Office.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
So some British guy, unknown to probably all of us before Monday and who has likely never been here himself, has opined on a blog that the American version of The Office is inferior to the British version, and therefore Scranton is a sh*thole. This is suprising to anybody? What does this guy know about Scranton other than what he's seen about it on TV? Honestly...

I was unaware of a second Office convention this year. When was it?

I also fail to see how this blog entry impacts "Scranton's fortunes" or made them worse in any way at all. "Slammed to the ground" is a real stretch there, Paul.

It's one simple guy spewing underinformed and opinionated vitriol on the internet. Dan does that all the time. O bla di, o bla da, life goes on....

Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Funny, your a funny guy......

Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
So some British guy, unknown to probably all of us before Monday and who has likely never been here himself, has opined on a blog that the American version of The Office is inferior to the British version, and therefore Scranton is a sh*thole. This is suprising to anybody? What does this guy know about Scranton other than what he's seen about it on TV? Honestly....
You're clearly missing the gravity of this international incident. I think we should try to get the presidential campaigns to weigh in.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I didn't like what the blogger said, so I turned the other cheek........
You can't let one blogger decide whats right and wrong in this World.
I don't watch "The Office" .........but.........I love the area of Scranton and Wilkes Barre.
Forgetting the wallydraigie talk about both towns.......they are old, but newly improved towns,
and in a marvelous location.
I'm impervious to the facts involving the politics of that area, and just as happy to stay that way.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I can't believe the uproar over some blogger's comments....nevermind some guy who's never even been to Scranton. Any shmoe can start a blog, its not like this was some major news outlet or the British prime minister that made these comments.

Stupid Brits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania