Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,375 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm originally from Scranton, PA and am presently living in Broward County Florida and can't stand living here anymore. I've been teaching in Broward County for 14 years and want to move back to PA. I have had enough! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SCRANTON AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS AND CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE BACK. MY HEART HAS NEVER LEFT. My question is this: Where is the best place to apply for a teaching job. I am a Nationally Board Certified Teacher and have a lot of education behind me. I have worked in inner city schools and am not apprehensive about teaching in any. I would love to teach in Scranton or close by but I just don't know if that is possible. I'm very anxious and will do all I can to achieve this goal, I just hope and pray it is realistic. I love teaching and want to be happy where I live. I'm in need of some input or direction. Any advice or hints on how I can make my dream possible is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Are you or any of your family members politically connected in Scranton? If not then count Scranton out, irregardless of your experience you probably wouldn't even get a look if your not coneected and have a "in" with the SSD. Look into the surrounding districts, they are growing and probably will be needing more teachers. Good Luck

Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Even the surrounding districts in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties are political jobs. Your only hope for getting a teaching job without being connected is the Poconos....Pocono Mountain, Wallenpaupack, Pleasant Valley, Delaware Valley, East Stroudsburg, etc.

You mentioned that you are willing to teach in inner city schools, NEPA really doesn't have any districts that would qualify as "inner city." Even Scranton and Wilkes-Barre schools are not the stereotypical "inner city" schools. The closest to an inner city school in NEPA is actually Pocono Mountain, as they are mostly NYC transplants and have had some documented "inner city" type problems like gangs, etc. but I still don't think even Pocono Mountain would be anything like a school in Philly or the Bronx.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times
There is no reason to think that you might not be able to get a teaching job in the city of Scranton because you are currently in FL. Due to the limited number of jobs available though, it may take some time. I would say it would be a very rare case indeed to have a position left vacant, and there are usually multiple applicants for openings. Do not let this discourage you. Get your resume out there, and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Thank you soo much for the encouragement. I will not give up! I know that some schools in the poconos do not really qualify as inner city but I thought that would be my greatest chance. I do know people in Scranton, however I don't know if they are politically "connected" enough. However, I will put myself out there. I just received my National board certification for this purpose. I worked sooo very hard for that certification and was hoping that it would atleast open a door for me somewhere in the northeast. Do they even consider that? Again, I keep hearing - "It's not what you know but who you know." I can only hope and pray. Any more advice or input is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Belisimo, start shopping your resume around and I think you will see a response. Some schools would love to have a person with experience that is highly qualified. Being from out of the area might be a good thing if they are looking for new ideas. You might also want to plan a short trip up north, and take the time to personally talk to some of the S.O.S.'s at schools you are interested in. I think North Pocono is building a new school, and new schools always need new (more) teachers. An administrative position might be another avenue, if you have the time in to apply for one.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Wow, that was encouraging. Thank You! I plan on making a trip up just after New years for this specific purpose. I can't go any sooner since I am a teacher. Presently, I am gathering all of my transcripts, etc. and will be making an appointment for my background check, etc. in Scranton after New Years. I am excited and looking forward to the challenge. I also have a special ed. degree as well as computer technology. I pray it helps. However, I do have to find out about how I go about putting my special ed. degree on my certificate. I may have to take a test for that. Thanks again! I need the encouragement.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM

248 posts, read 798,455 times
first off let me say good luck to you!! it is so nice to see not only someone who loves the area near and dear to my heart, but to see such enthusiasm and caring in a teacher - such an important profession!

would you conisder private schools in the area?

i sincerly hope this works out for you!! keep us updated, wont you?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM

I know that currently most schools are integrating all special needs students into the general classes, so I am sure that a special ed. background would be extremely helpful.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM

25 posts, read 86,760 times
belisimo7,
Tell us how things work out. I live it Atlanta and would love to move back, but my husband is a teacher and I feel like he would have an incredibly hard time getting a job. I am also afraid of them not giving him credit for all of his years of experience-North Pocono does not. He has 11 years of teaching and will have a master's degree. I am not sure what salaries are like in Florida, but believe it or not I think they are higher in the Atlanta area than Scranton area (I have talked to some teacher friends and my husband would take a pay cut to teach in Northeastern PA). Obviously you can't put a price on happiness-Scranton is a wonderful place to live. Best of luck on your job hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania