Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times

Advertisements

And what makes you feel so highly of yourself? How are you any better? You're classist, racist and ageist

Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Ok well question was... Boycott the Catholic Church........

Well, we know no one is going to do that, so why worry about it.
They are Pro-Life and have always been, so nothing will change that ever in this lifetime.
( Pro life means McCains side ) But, most people vote how they wish.

I just go to the Church that is more to my liking, and I suppose others do too.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why was I wrong? Why do you Roman Catholics continue to rally behind your bishop when he did wrong by the IRS? You're all just lucky that I have yet to "blow the whistle" in order to bring the bishop's political shenanigans and partisanship to their attention. I'm sure you'll all be singing a different tune when your church's tax-exempt statuses are revoked, and even MORE of your ornate buildings become abandoned. B.S.? You're a fine one to talk about b.s. You disappeared from this forum for how many months, and then you conveniently pop up just to flame me? Nice.

ScranBarre, I love your fervor but you must realize how intensely people are fed the bible. I was raised Roman Catholic and saw first hand (sorry hard line Catholics) the brainwashing that goes on. Say two Hail Marys, four Our Fathers and repent sinner. God will strike you down if you do not obey!

Well, it got old for me and by my confirmation I had dropped out of CCD class and shortly after stopped going to church. I respect people views and still observe the Catholic holidays but I observe them more as a togetherness and spirit of giving moment rather than something religious.

People are set in their ways and beliefs.

Therefore, I completely understand your viewpoint here but I also understand why this thread has become so heated.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why was I wrong? Why do you Roman Catholics continue to rally behind your bishop when he did wrong by the IRS? You're all just lucky that I have yet to "blow the whistle" in order to bring the bishop's political shenanigans and partisanship to their attention. I'm sure you'll all be singing a different tune when your church's tax-exempt statuses are revoked, and even MORE of your ornate buildings become abandoned. B.S.? You're a fine one to talk about b.s. You disappeared from this forum for how many months, and then you conveniently pop up just to flame me? Nice.
You are wrong because you want people to boycott the Catholic Church, yet you won't do the same thing.
I'm not, nor have I ever been Catholic.
Yes, I have been waiting all these months just to flame you. However, I am not "flaming you" I am just calling you on the carpet about being a hypocrite.
I could flame you if you would prefer.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 AM

103 posts, read 361,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpres View Post
i have been reading this site for quite awhile. I rarely post but scranbarre really struck a cord with me.

If you are so firmly behind your beliefs you should leave king's immediately!

I am also wondering why you never mention anything about obama and rev wright or father phlager or william ayers or revco. How come you are not upset about obama's church and all the political hatred they spew out? Are you going to take action against them as well?

I still can't believe the dems voted him in over clinton.
great message!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpres View Post
I have been reading this site for quite awhile. I rarely post but Scranbarre really struck a cord with me.

If you are so firmly behind your beliefs you should leave King's immediately!

I am also wondering why you never mention anything about Obama and Rev Wright or Father Phlager or William Ayers or Revco. How come you are not upset about Obama's church and all the political hatred they spew out? Are you going to take action against them as well?

I still can't believe the Dems voted him in over Clinton.
I agree on the above...........and wondering:
Speaking of religion I'd like to know how others feel about our future President sitting in Rev Wrights "church" for 20 years, listening to all that hatred. Hate of America, of white people, and the "Damning of America"..
That is what bothers me a big bunch. Because I'd be in that church for no more then 20 minutes, before walking out. My total love of America, and its people, would lead me out the door. 20 years, amazes me.......
Ayers.....In the beginning it was the excuse of " I was 8" well, we know more now.....He sat with him, he had his coming out party at his house, and his wife worked with Ayers wife ( she is known as being worse then her husband) Ayers stood on the American Flag in Sept 2001 on a national magazine cover. I don't have a friend who would stand on our flag...do you? I don't have a friend who threatened to bomb anything, such as Ayers had planned.
More then not knowing much of Obamas past, nor things he has accomplished for America........Its that church attending, and his friend Ayers that keeps me from hitting the switch.
They can make fun of Palin. But she did stop the road before it became the expense of the huge, money costing bridge. She did stop excessive spending and gave those funds back to the taxpayers. She did a great job for Alaska. A bimbo, she is not....as some would like us to believe.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:14 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Uh, what does Rev. Wright's church have to do with NEPA? Boycott them too if anyone's in a local chapter!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I agree on the above...........and wondering:
Speaking of religion I'd like to know how others feel about our future President sitting in Rev Wrights "church" for 20 years, listening to all that hatred. Hate of America, of white people, and the "Damning of America"..
That is what bothers me a big bunch. Because I'd be in that church for no more then 20 minutes, before walking out. My total love of America, and its people, would lead me out the door. 20 years, amazes me.......
Ayers.....In the beginning it was the excuse of " I was 8" well, we know more now.....He sat with him, he had his coming out party at his house, and his wife worked with Ayers wife ( she is known as being worse then her husband) Ayers stood on the American Flag in Sept 2001 on a national magazine cover. I don't have a friend who would stand on our flag...do you? I don't have a friend who threatened to bomb anything, such as Ayers had planned.
More then not knowing much of Obamas past, nor things he has accomplished for America........Its that church attending, and his friend Ayers that keeps me from hitting the switch.
They can make fun of Palin. But she did stop the road before it became the expense of the huge, money costing bridge. She did stop excessive spending and gave those funds back to the taxpayers. She did a great job for Alaska. A bimbo, she is not....as some would like us to believe.

Summering, I give you credit for posting this segment. What I want to know is how Ayers got a position at a University? They say you are you you hang around with!!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
I think it is patriotic to criticize the government. That is why I think Wright is a very patriotic American. There is this overall sense that is spreading throughout the country that to be a patriotic American means to support the government and its military efforts. This is very dangerous and many of our forefathers warned us about this very thing. Thomas Jefferson said that our country will need a revolution every twenty years to protect us from that syndrome of politicians getting too much power and leading people in a bad direction.

A different perspective on Reverend Wright is important, since obviously there is a group (started by Hillary and continued by McCain) that is trying to build a narrative on this guy. Let us together use our powerful minds to remember that narrative is not reality. I repeat, narrative is not reality. The narrative says: "God damn America" and "United States of the KKK" and everyone starts getting upset. Okay, how about looking at the whole symphony instead of just a few select notes...

Imagine if you were purchased by a man of another race and brought against your will to another country to work for him. Your sisters and mother were raped by him. You were beaten and made to feel like an animal. Through the strength of the collective spirit of your people, and by the gestures of a number of clear-eyed folks, you eventually escaped this situation. Only your people did not become free in the sense that the one who bought you is free. Many of your people still in this day and age live in a world of complete and utter poverty. Your kids are made to feel like they are stupid, worthless, dangerous citizens. Their schools are substandard for the most part. People lock their car doors when you walk by at night. As a young man or woman, you feel so much that society is against you, that the only way to feel safe is by joining a gang for protection.

The pain body of slavery is still a big part of their culture because many of them are still slaves to this culture in a different way. They perform the tasks that society takes for granted and has very little respect for.

I knew many kids in this situation that I tried to mentor when I was living in NYC. I do not paint an unfair picture of their lives. This is their reality. It is probably not yours. You may have a hard time even imagining what a life like that would be to live. But at least try to understand where their anger comes from, even if you can not rationalize it, understand it. The society IS against them whether it looks like it on TV or not. Whether people still own slaves or not. Go and see what so many are born into and tell me they have every chance at the American dream that you do. Live for one month in a project and see how you feel about the system that set up that lifestyle for you. They are mad at the society, and I understand why. So a voice like Reverend Wright's sounds so right to some of them. United States of the KKK sounds pretty accurate to some of them. God damn America for how she lets these kids and families suffer in projects and God damn America for arranging their school systems to support their continual being held down. That sounds right to some of them. And I understand why. Why can't you?

It is nice to have to worry about your stock portfolio. They are not worrying about that. They have been living in a financial crisis since they were purchased and brought to this country. Of course there are many black people who have risen above that, but the reality of the population of inner cities is too black to deny that there is a major race problem in this country. And there are so many who hate to hear it. They say slavery is over and why can't black people forget about it. They can't forget because people are still not treating them like humans.

So maybe America has worked for you. The market has made you rich and you can sit in a nice house and wonder why someone would be so mad. But know that there are a lot of people out there, who are awake, paying attention, and they ARE mad, and they have very good reasons. And as moral, thinking, loving citizens, we have a responsibility to hear them when they cry and scream and do everything we can to create a world that does not view their pain as unpatriotic and somehow against US. It is racist to act otherwise.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
I would guess that Ayers got a job at the University the same way that Yassir Arafat and Gerry Adams got welcomed to the White House. The same way that Tom Hayden was elected to the California State assembly. The same way that Bobby Rush was elected to be a congressman representing Chicago. The same way Luis Guttierez was elected to congress. People do things out of passion, they make mistakes. They learn from those mistakes and become wonderful citizens working hard for the good of people. I would be interested to know if anyone here has accomplished more than Mr. Ayers on behalf of the educational system in America. Or have those accomplishment not been reported to you by the news? The more you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania