Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 32,308 times

Advertisements

So now that we have a place rented and everything is finalized here in Kansas, we face one more dilemma; what kind of car to buy? I know that it snows a lot in Scranton (compared to Lawrence KS anyways) so I am wondering if anyone has any input on good vehicles for the winter. I grew up in northern MN - we needed four wheel drive trucks and a snowmobile - and don’t quite think I need to base my decision on those conditions (hopefully )

We need something that has decent gas mileage and will be able to make it south towards Montgomery county in the middle of winter.

Thanks ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
You don't need a four wheel drive in Scranton. The days where it is undriveable due to snow are few and far between. Any regular front wheel drive sedan is fine around here. This isn't Minnesota or even upstate NY.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,079 times
I would recommend a Subaru. AWD can come in quite handy in the NE.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 AM

203 posts, read 577,151 times
Anything front-wheel drive would do fine. AWD is wonderful, but their mileage is a little less, just a little.
My husband drives out Rt 84 to Port Jervis every night and has only taken the 4wd truck about 4 times in the last 6 years. If you know how to drive in the snow & not like an idiot (like the ones on 380) you'll do fine.
You will find that once you get into the actual city of Scranton, the road conditions can change completely from one road to another, depending where you have to go. Sometimes the side roads are next to impossible to traverse if we've had a lot of snow. It depends if someone "important" lives near you.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Also, you might want to look at Land Rover. Especially used ones with not too high mileage. Land Rover dealers also sell their "loaner vehicles" to the public by which you can get a good deal. Land Rovers are beasts when it comes to inclement weather. They can tackle any kind of extreme condition you can submit them to and keep on truckin'!! If you do look at LR's, ask them how much they want for a loaner you've looked at and don't let them try to reel you in with questions about a trade-in. Tell them you're only interested in how much they want for a particular loaner based on the mileage it has on from customer use. Good luck!!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,783 times
I live in Lake Ariel and drive to Dunmore every day and wouldnt do it without AWD.
There's a long post on this some pages back, you should search for it. You'll get an overwhelming response for a Subaru Forester

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Depends on where exactly you are moving too and where you will be driving too daily. If you're on the main roads 2WD 95% on the time it's more than adequate, if you need 4WD on the main roads you probably shouldn't be out to begin with.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
I live in Lake Ariel and and work in Dunmore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
I live in Lake Ariel and drive to Dunmore every day.
Methinks you two could carpool!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
You'll just feel more safe and at ease in an all wheel drive vehicle. I have a Chevy Equinox and its great in the snow. Our Montana Van, at the time, would not make it up our driveway in snow.
So........Its just a bit comforting to know you have all wheel when needed.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Also, you might want to look at Land Rover. Especially used ones with not too high mileage. Land Rover dealers also sell their "loaner vehicles" to the public by which you can get a good deal. Land Rovers are beasts when it comes to inclement weather. They can tackle any kind of extreme condition you can submit them to and keep on truckin'!! If you do look at LR's, ask them how much they want for a loaner you've looked at and don't let them try to reel you in with questions about a trade-in. Tell them you're only interested in how much they want for a particular loaner based on the mileage it has on from customer use. Good luck!!
Don't ever buy a british vehicle, especially one that you may have to depend on. I did not get the impression that you wanted an all-out 4WD, but Jeeps are on sale right now. You can get a brand new Liberty for like 15k, don't know if the wranglers came down at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania