U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 76,161 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NEPA my whole life (wilkes/scranton area). I went to Hofstra University and just got back to the area. I miss LI terribly. We all know how it can get with cost of living there and my best friend's family just moved to upstate NY (Newburgh area). If I had to choose between there and NEPA, I'd tell you NY. Some areas of PA are very small town and with that comes small minded-ness. The commute is ok, but there are not many 3+ lane highways in PA, and I've spent a lot of time in traffic because of accidents/road work that shut down the whole highway for and hour or 2.

My best friend commutes to the city from Newburgh every day via bus and has very few problems, not to mention it's the same distance. I don't mean to be so negative about PA, I love it here! Especially my area and northern poconos. I know people who have moved here and loved, but I also know people who moved here and regreted it everyday until they moved out. So, I'm just trying to give you my opinion from someone who been to both areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM

59 posts, read 257,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
They have promised the train ever since i have heard of the poconos, we are still waitng as of today.

You're still waiting for that train huh.... There was "speculation" of this train 10-12 years ago. Basically...don't hold your breath. Last I heard they had all the tracks they needed, but that was 3 years ago, and I still don't see a train. Actually, I haven't seen any trains other than cargo trains in this part of PA.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM

910 posts, read 2,798,499 times
I was just going to post almost identical to lady309! If I had to choose again, I would definitely choose Pike over Monroe. I am a teacher and schooling is my #1 priority for the kids. The ease of the commute to jersey and ny is both fine. We are from NYC and couldnt have moved to a better spot. Personally I'd rather do an hour and a half smooth commute than the hour and a half I used to spend in traffic every day just trying to get 25-30 miles to work!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM

422 posts, read 1,921,098 times
Hello all.

We live in Monroe County, Reeders, Pocono MOuntain S.D.. just on the border of Pleasant valley S.D. Our taxes on a 2 story 4 bedroom basement 2 car garage with 1 acre land is just under $5,000 a year. And when I moved here 7 years ago the taxes were about $3500. Sooo we're going up in taxes...just taking longer.

My hubby commutes everyday on the Martztrailways (.com) bus. He gets on the 5:20am bus from Effort (pleasant valley S.D) gets to work like around 8:00.THAT's nearly 3hours every day. And coming home he gets on the 5:45pm and gets in the house at around 8:00pm Some days due to the bus delays he would get into NYC closer to 10am (even though he is onthe 5:20am bus) Soooo if your BOSS doesn't like you coming in late unexpectedly...I'd rethink the move. And the cheapest tickets are $108 a week.

you can find very newly built homes under $300 easily here in Monroe County. Search the MLS

Last edited by MollyMe; 07-13-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

422 posts, read 1,921,098 times
Everybody is gonna tell you a different experience and different prices the best thing to do is to rent for at least a week to try the commute...or stay at hotel or something. Wanna see the types of people...go to the mall or food store. School information--Google the websites. Taxes are going up. The cost of living is the same on Long island..But you'll get a NICE home for not soo much money--compared to Long Island.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM

27,090 posts, read 27,171,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffit34 View Post
I've just put in an offer today in smithfield, monroe county PA. (hope it gets accepted) we are relocating from NJ and commuting for work. We are impressed with the amount of house you get for the money. We don't have kids and really the only drawback is the commute, its long and there is alot of traffic, one accident and your on rt 80 for 3-4 hrs. If you can handle the commute it'll be a great desicion for you. If you have specific questions i may be able to help though we haven't moved yet.(not till the offer is accepted, hoping, hoping) but i responded cause you are from Long island, if your serious i'll give you the # of our realitor, she relocated from long island herself she's nice and experienced with 12 yrs of being there.
Smithfield Twp. is a great town...I've been away from Monroe for approx. 10 years now, but loved it. Lived there for 20, my son went to Pleasant Valley High School...then it was really like living in the outback. Had to drive 20 minutes to Stroudsburg to grocery shop. It didn't last long, the housing boom came...believe it or not, I had a beautiful home, lakefront, and my taxes combined were $300.00 a year???? Those were the days.

I think you'll love it up there, but I'll be honest, I hear the comute sometimes drains New Yorkers...your talking some long hours.

I worked in Stroudsburg...maybe one of you could find a position there?

Good luck, and happy trials...
Creme

Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 59,413 times
Another area to consider in escaping from LI are some of the counties in lower upstate NY, such as Delaware, Sullivan, and Ulster. They tend to be a little slower-paced and more backwoods than the Poconos counties in PA, but they are still inexpensive and have some livable communities. I know for fact that there are people in Delaware county (the furthest one from NYC) that commuted to the city down NYS Rt. 17 each day. It's about 1 to 2 hours depending on where exactly you live.

I believe there were a few nice towns in Orange County, NY as well, such as Goshen and Washingtonville, but I can't speak for how they are nowadays or how their prices are. You could ask around in the New York forum though. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 41,012 times
My sister purchased a home in far-west NJ (3 exits east of PA) last year and commutes to east NJ for work. While she loves her home, the commute to work is difficult on her. The commute has drastically changed her social life and the benefits of purchasing in her area (more home for the money, etc.) are beginning to be outweighed by the financial and personal tolls of the commute. She is now selling her home and looking to move back east. My suggestion - try the commute during your normal travel time a few times before purchasing the home, then realistically weigh the costs and benefits.

Best of luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Vet

1 posts, read 3,244 times
Default Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by engsmom View Post
Hello...I am looking to relocate my familiy from Long Island, to either Monroe County or Pike County PA. Currently the real estate market on Long Island is out of control with the prices of homes - even fixer-uppers in the 400K range! Plus the takes are in the 8-10K range for certain area's. It is unreal. I do not feel my 2 children will have the best quality of life here and would like to relocate to an area where my husband can still commute to NYC. I am looking to hear from other's who have relocated or who already reside in these area's to shed some light on how things are in these locations? I don't mind a blend of rural and suburban area's but we are not looking to be out in the country either - as it would shell shock my husband. Any information you can also provide on communting to NYC would be great! Thanks so much!!!!

We are from Queens, NY and have a year round condo in Mt. Pocono (Monroe Cty). It takes us exactly 2hrs drive time (door to door). We love it here. Our Pocono neighbors and raltor say the school system is excellent. We have a 14 yr old daughter and are contemplating making a permament move. We pay in the low $1,00 in taxes. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,295 times
Hi, Ibought an older house in Plymouth a year and a half ago, it needs some work but it really is a great house, and for what I paid for it would be what a summer rental would go for here in the Hampton's on Long Island. My son & his wife love it in Pa. they still work here on LI but as soon as they can do it they will move to Pa. At least it is affordable. A lot of our young people are moving out of LI, it is just not an option anymore. What young couple can afford to buy a starter home for $550,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania