U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,654,618 times

Advertisements

Definitely try out your commute for a week (or more) before leaping. First my SIL and then my brother tried it (we are all natives here but they got jobs in NYC for the big salaries) and both of them were completely burned out within the first two years. They were both young single people too. I don't know how you could do that commute and have any kind of decent family life.

The taxes in Monroe county especially are going to continue to skyrocket - they simply can't build schools fast enough and someone has to pay for all of that. Also, other services such as police, fire, and EMS are WAY behind the growth and severely taxed by the population increase.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM

12 posts, read 42,140 times
HI!

I relocated from NJ to Shohola, PA 5 years ago. I didn't know the area well enough at that time so if I had to do it over again I would move to Milford, PA or Hemlock Farms in Lords Valley, PA.
Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by Marka; 08-17-2007 at 07:55 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM

30 posts, read 81,842 times
I was born and raised in Monroe County. I have lived in many other places up and down the eastern seaboard during my twenties, but returned home 3 years ago because I had an opportunity to work for a family business. While it was nice to be close to family again, I found that the congestion, escalating housing prices, lack of a strong art and music community, the increasing crime, and many other factors have made this an unlivable place for me (a 35-year old, newly married, child-free artist-scholar).

With the Poconos these days you get the worst of both city living and country living: congestion and high cost of living in addition to a lack of cultural and urban amenities. Not a good combination. If one is going to live in Hickville, then one should at least have some peace and quiet. That's rapidly dwindling here. They also seem to be cutting down all the trees here and loading up the place with strip malls. What little that was good about the Poconos is disappearing.

If you try to live on Pocono wages, unless you're a doctor or other highly skilled professional, you'll find you cannot afford a modest home. In order to afford a nice home, most people are forced to commute a total of 4 hours per day to NYC. I see children in daycare from 6 am to after 6 pm. I see families stressed beyond belief because they have no time together.

4 hours per day X 5 days per week = 20 hours of your life wasted on commuting just so you can afford a home you don't have time to enjoy in an area that is only becoming another version of Long Island.

I know it's not always an easy thing to do, especially if there are family obligations, but perhaps relocating someplace completely out of the area where you can both afford a home and work without wasting much of your life commuting is the solution.

My husband and I are relocating at the end of September. We're going to try the Pacific Northwest. Portland has a more progressive culture, a better quality of life, and I won't have to commute more than 15 minutes, hopefully by foot or bike. I'm getting out of the Poconos before it sucks my creativity and finances dry.

Regardless, good luck with getting out of the NY area. I don't envy your position.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,482 times
Default Thanks Trina,

I am looking to move to the Stroudsburg area: me commuting to NYC weekdays and hubby working in Wilkes Barre.

I moved from North NJ to here and after a few months regretted it. Hubby love that it's not as congested as North Jersey, so we're not moving back to NJ anytime soon...+ property taxes and prices are outrageous.

Can you tell me if there is any area left that provides easy access to NYC buses + schools. Hubby has many ways to get to WB for his commute; plus, he'll eventually work at home - setting up a home office after we settle in.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:15 AM

366 posts, read 966,586 times
I second Hemlock Farms in Lords Valley. It is a beautiful place. I'm considering a move within the next year or two.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM

73 posts, read 256,820 times
I live in PV school district and my kids love it. They do very well. We are moving next year to Scranton area b/c of my husbands job but we both grew up here and loved it as kids. It has changed A LOT but it's still a nice area to live and raise a family.

I have to agree w/ Triana though about the Pocono area in general. Triana where did you go to school?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

37 posts, read 76,571 times
I have to second PV school district. If you want to live in Monroe County, I suggest this district. There are buses that leave from Effort to head to the city and its an easy trip to WilkesBarre/Scranton area. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM

169 posts, read 621,509 times
With a commute to NYC daily what about giving the Lehigh Valley consideration. I moved from the city to the poconos and then to Bethlehem 6 years ago. Bethlehem in a lot of ways reminds me of Long Island. You are close to everything, shopping, churches, schools. It is a great town.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,482 times
Thanks everyone. We've settled in Tannersville. The kids will be going ot mt pocono school in Swiftwater. They have a great swim team - which was a big + for my son.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 AM

193 posts, read 512,993 times
I moved here two years ago from Queens, ny. We moved to Greentown, PA (Pike County) Prices in my area range from 150- 250K. You can get a nice house for 200k and have neighbors real close. The School system is great Wallenpaupack. (one of the best in the area) The commute is 2hours. My hubby was able to get a transfer with here so he does not commute. The thing you need to consider is you need a good car living here. A car that can handle the bad winter months. I learned that in my first month when my car broke down and had to wait for hubby to have time to go grocery shopping. Its hard to not have a store nearby. but you get used to the distances.

I tell you, I have two little girls and they love it here. The nature ( they had never seen a worm or deer ) has been a great experience for them. and the peace of mind of being able to let them go out and play in the backyard without being scared for them. pm is you have any questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania