Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Also bear in mind that the weather will be a big shock to your system. I say this as I stare out our office window and gleam proudly at the 9-foot snow bank that now lines our driveway after I just shoveled it from our recent 16" snow fall. I obviously had a snow day from school today, but, believe it or not, I don't have one for tomorrow---I suppose we Pennsylvanians are supposed to be "used" to driving front-wheel drive vehicles around on unsalted roads during a "state-of-emergency" to get to school! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,605 times
Default As always be careful of free advice

Welcome to NE Penna! Our area can be a wonderful place to live and is especially great to raise a family.
I hear your concerns. Years ago the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area ranked 2nd in the country for lowest crime rate by Rand McNally. I would love to tell you that is still the case but it is not. Scranton is currently safer than WB but I would avoid the bigger cities. I believe you have received some sound advice here. I would prioritize what you want to be nearest to.
Not far from the Depot is Pocono Mountain School District. It is my understanding that there are more than the average problems within that district. It is one that has grown rapidly with imports from states to our East. Some of their problems have spilled into this district (gangs, drugs).
The Moscow area is nice. Harmony Hills is an excellent development (if you are looking to live in a development). This would put you about 10 minutes to work and about 15 minutes to Scranton and Dickson City(which is where every store you will ever need is located). Property taxes are not cheap in Moscow. In addition, there is some on-going battle about building a new school soon. That will further increase the tax assesment but offer your child an up-to-date school.
A few miles down the road (away from Tobyhanna) are the boroughs of Dunmore, Dickson City, Blakley and Archbald. These boroughs are less expensive in tax and actually offer more amenities and services. There are private and public schools in these towns for you to choose from. The crime rate is also one of the lowest in the county there. Dunmore is "tight". Buildings almost touch one another and the streets are narrow as well. Dickson City is the commercail mecca of the area. The mall and adjourning corridor of shops offer everything you need. There are two on-going housing developments and prices are affordable. Taxes are low and public safety is very good, the public school there (Mid Valley) is not the best. Blakely and Archbald are in the same school district(Valley View). Like Moscow, your taxes will be higher. There are a few developments to pitch a tent in as well as some apartment/townhouses along Route 6 from Dickson to Blakely. You are now 25 to 30 minutes from work though. Many people do commute from here by bus or car pool. You won't have a problem finding a ride. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania