Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times

Advertisements

Thanks fisheye. As a Penn Stater, I am very hopeful that there are Nittany Lions still alive some where.

Just pretty crazy that within hours of the largest megalopolis in the US, we can't say with any confidence that there may or may not be a 200 lbs wild cat species still alive and hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
I have a place in the poconos about 5 miles from Big Boulder. I have seen Bobcat in Hickory Run state park. About 2 years ago we spent a couple weeks up there and actually saw the Bobcat twice at the same spot. It was around dusk the first time and two days later around 6 am we watched it return and crawl under a boulder. Later that day we checked the area out and saw a couple blue jay feathers next to the hole. The spot is still there but we haven't seen it again since.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,651 times
I don't think I want a mountain lion, coyote or bear in my back yard. Though the bears pass by on the side of my home they don't stay. Every winter with the first snowfall there are the paw prints, this year there were two sets of prints, as long as they keep walking pass and don't hangout I am okay with that.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:51 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKJD View Post
I have a place in the poconos about 5 miles from Big Boulder. I have seen Bobcat in Hickory Run state park. About 2 years ago we spent a couple weeks up there and actually saw the Bobcat twice at the same spot. It was around dusk the first time and two days later around 6 am we watched it return and crawl under a boulder. Later that day we checked the area out and saw a couple blue jay feathers next to the hole. The spot is still there but we haven't seen it again since.
My place is south of Big Boulder, and last summer I saw a bobcat cross Route 903 about 30 yards in front of my car. They are definitely there in northern Carbon County.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 AM

129 posts, read 425,167 times
There was a confirmed Cougar in Connecticut this year. It was confirmed wild and from a family of wild cougars in South Dakota. Yes they sometimes have that kind of range. The cougar was hit and killed by a car on the Merritt.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanva View Post
There was a confirmed Cougar in Connecticut this year. It was confirmed wild and from a family of wild cougars in South Dakota. Yes they sometimes have that kind of range. The cougar was hit and killed by a car on the Merritt.
I saw that news article. The cougar that my wife and I saw could have been wild or could have escaped from captivity? We don’t know. It was several years ago and it could have even made it’s way up to Connecticut?

By the way; when we first bought our property, in Swiftwater 35 years ago, we had a bobcat that hung around the house. The previous owners of the property had left a dog house on our new property. The bobcat would love to perch on the dog house and give a blood curdling scream in the middle of the night - it sounded like the next door neighbor’s wife was being strangled. It was probably a territorial call or a mating call? Anyway; we were very happy when it decided to move on - I think that was after we got rid of the dog house!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 AM

I am making another post on this old thread. I wanted to post this one old link that was never posted on the subject of mountain lions: Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

I also want to hear if anybody else has heard/saw of one in our area? Possibly it was just a large cat that escaped captivity that my wife and I saw a decade ago? The debate still rages on. I would love to see good solid evidence that they exist in PA.

Here is a link to a PA forum that is also running on big cats: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ur-county.html

Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am making another post on this old thread. I wanted to post this one old link that was never posted on the subject of mountain lions: Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

I also want to hear if anybody else has heard/saw of one in our area? Possibly it was just a large cat that escaped captivity that my wife and I saw a decade ago? The debate still rages on. I would love to see good solid evidence that they exist in PA.

Here is a link to a PA forum that is also running on big cats: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ur-county.html
I forget if I posted this on the other thread... my crazy stepmother's neighbor insists he has seen a mountain lion in La Plume near Keystone College. He's not playing with a full deck and neither is my stepmother, so I don't really believe them. I'm pretty sure he saw a bear.

A lot of people swear they have seen mountain lions but DCNR insists there aren't any.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I forget if I posted this on the other thread... my crazy stepmother's neighbor insists he has seen a mountain lion in La Plume near Keystone College. He's not playing with a full deck and neither is my stepmother, so I don't really believe them. I'm pretty sure he saw a bear.

A lot of people swear they have seen mountain lions but DCNR insists there aren't any.
The naysayers do have valid points. I would not believe us if we did not see one. Animals get killed in our roads everyday. You would think that one would end up dead, identified and have the DNA samples taken (like what happened in Connecticut).

It just gets me going when I could not get our Game Commission to come out and investigate. They were so sure that none existed that they would not look. We were twenty yards from the cat chasing it down a dirt road in a pickup at 35 MPH. It was around nine o'clock on a sunny day. My wife was wearing her glasses and I still do not need glasses for my class A CDL (I had a great surgeon for my little fishing mishap).

Maybe your crazy stepmother's neighbor is also crazy? But PA is a big state. We also have many people keeping exotic pets. I am not sure if somebody would report the escape of a dangerous animal? Actually; I would like to see better laws controlling exotic pets.

You never know!

PS Yesterday we had a 250 pound bear walk through our back yard.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The naysayers do have valid points. I would not believe us if we did not see one. Animals get killed in our roads everyday. You would think that one would end up dead, identified and have the DNA samples taken (like what happened in Connecticut).

It just gets me going when I could not get our Game Commission to come out and investigate. They were so sure that none existed that they would not look. We were twenty yards from the cat chasing it down a dirt road in a pickup at 35 MPH. It was around nine o'clock on a sunny day. My wife was wearing her glasses and I still do not need glasses for my class A CDL (I had a great surgeon for my little fishing mishap).

Maybe your crazy stepmother's neighbor is also crazy? But PA is a big state. We also have many people keeping exotic pets. I am not sure if somebody would report the escape of a dangerous animal? Actually; I would like to see better laws controlling exotic pets.

You never know!

PS Yesterday we had a 250 pound bear walk through our back yard.
I mentioned this in the other thread too. There are a lot of people, especially in the Poconos and in rural areas, keeping exotic animals. I wouldn't be surprised either if they didn't report it.

A few years ago my SO and I went to Claws and Paws. I'd never been there before and now I see why--those poor animals looked like they wanted to kill themselves. We went for a drive afterward and noticed how many exotic pet stores there were in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania