Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,981 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, in the Milford area (and/or surrounding areas), how is it for children on Halloween? Is there a lot of trick-or-treating? Events for children/families? Parties? School dances? I recently heard from a friend that your children cannot just simply go out trick-or-treating on the holiday regardless of what day it falls on; that it is a "planned" event. What kind of fun is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 AM

248 posts, read 798,099 times
that is what they do around here too. there is a day and time that each township declares when it's trick or treating will take place. ours is the 28th 4-6 pm.

i know it is weird.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Trick or treating a planned event? Not in Scranton.....and hopefully it never comes to that....that's pretty lame. Why should local government be telling you when to go trick or treating? What happens if you disobey the planned trick or treating time?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM

248 posts, read 798,099 times
there will be no one home to answer the doors and give out candy. they would look at your kid like they were nuts LOL!

i hate it too. T or T should be on halloween night, regardless of the day it falls on - PERIOD.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Trick or treating a planned event? Not in Scranton.....and hopefully it never comes to that....that's pretty lame. Why should local government be telling you when to go trick or treating? What happens if you disobey the planned trick or treating time?
Do you mean that, in Scranton, they go T n T on Halloween night for as long as the kids want? (This is my first Halloween up in this area, so I don't know this stuff yet!!)

While I do agree that T n T should be on Halloween night (and NOT two nights - I think that's ridiculous!!), I also believe that a time should be set, and people lit up their houses for that time period. I know the rule in Danville was, if the porch light was out, they were done giving out candy (or didn't give out any at all) and you didn't go to that house. Is that the same here?

Also, I know that many communities will change T n T if, like this year, Halloween falls on a Friday. They say it's because of the increase in vandalism and pranks.

Personally, I don't know if moving T n T because of that works. I have seen my share of soaped windows and smashed pumpkins no matter what night the town designates for T n T. ( Though I guess I should be grateful it's just that and nothing worse!)

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Do you mean that, in Scranton, they go T n T on Halloween night for as long as the kids want? (This is my first Halloween up in this area, so I don't know this stuff yet!!)

While I do agree that T n T should be on Halloween night (and NOT two nights - I think that's ridiculous!!), I also believe that a time should be set, and people lit up their houses for that time period. I know the rule in Danville was, if the porch light was out, they were done giving out candy (or didn't give out any at all) and you didn't go to that house. Is that the same here?

Also, I know that many communities will change T n T if, like this year, Halloween falls on a Friday. They say it's because of the increase in vandalism and pranks.

Personally, I don't know if moving T n T because of that works. I have seen my share of soaped windows and smashed pumpkins no matter what night the town designates for T n T. ( Though I guess I should be grateful it's just that and nothing worse!)

I think its just common sense....sure you can go trick or treating whenever you want, and you just go to the houses that have the porch lights on. There's no set time, but I'd say the trick or treating stops by 9:00 at the latest.....probably more like 8:00.

I have to say I've had no problems with Halloween vandalism.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,550,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Just out of curiosity, in the Milford area (and/or surrounding areas), how is it for children on Halloween? Is there a lot of trick-or-treating? Events for children/families? Parties? School dances? I recently heard from a friend that your children cannot just simply go out trick-or-treating on the holiday regardless of what day it falls on; that it is a "planned" event. What kind of fun is that?
Milford is pretty festive for Halloween. They have many events in town that are nice. The Milford residents get bombarded from trick-or-treaters that are from everywhere other than Milford. It is not a planned event and I hope it never comes to that. If you check out the What's Happening Magazine/Connections, etc. you can get further information on the surrounding areas and what is availabe including school dances.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,323 times
We're going to Milford right after school until 7 or 7:30 OR until the kids dont' want to walk anymore..lol...then off to Shohola Walker Lake Firehouse until around 9.

We went to Milford last year and the kids had a blast. It started getting really crowded around 6 when we were getting ready to leave. There's also a church on Broad St that gives out hot dogs and drinks and balloons and lots of other stuff for the kids.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,719 times
In Scranton at the 'farmers market' there is a halloween parade with the kids in costume and the concession stand gives them free hotdogs !!!! You should see some of the 'old folks' lined up for free hotdogs !!! God Bless them !!!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,981 times
Well, I'm glad Milford isn't like that because we're considering moving there eventually, and while that is not a "priority", coming from here it would be horrible to have to accustom to set schedules. Here, halloween is and has always been the 31st and that's when you trick or treat. I agree, usually you're done by 8, 9 absolute latest, but that's because you're out since after school. My mom always used to (as we do now) order pizza, you shove it down your throat and head back out, usually with pillowcases because bags are too small! When I heard that halloween is "on a schedule" I almost fainted. It's bad enough my one child can't dress up in school this year (that was devastating for her), as they stop it after elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania