Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Only poor people are overweight?? LMAO. Come on! How silly is that!

And ITA with MOON. Healthy foods are vastly more expensive than the cheap stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 PM

67 posts, read 231,398 times
I agree with the drug testing. For almost all jobs now you have to do mandatory drug testing. Anyone is on public assistance should be made to do random drug testing monthly or they cant have public assistance. There is nothing wrong with it. If your not doing anything wrong and your looking for a new job whats the big deal. When you find a new job they are going to test you anyway. And if you come up positive for any form of drugs then you immediately lose your assistance ( anything at all, housing, money, food stamps, etc) and you are put on a hold for future assistance and you are to pay back what you have collected in assistance in the previous 6 months through income tax returns, rebates, wage garnishing. i work for a prison and the bills they accumulate in prison, thats how we get paid back for their debt of wasted medical, etc. Their debt will follow them forever.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Who is going to do the drug testing?

Who is going to pay for it?

What will the penalties be for this if you fail?

What about the kids who will not have any food, medical assistance or housing becasue of the choices of their parents?

About said children - who will pay for upswing sure to follow in an already failing foster care system?

Mandatory drug testing violates people's constitutional rights to search and seizure. I disagree with it for jobs and I disagree with it for assistance.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
What human rights? If you are on welfare you should not have rights! The taxpayers own your ***** as far as I am concerned! What don't you like about my proposals? Do you not like the drug testing? When an average person applies for a job, they have to submit to a drug test, so how is it a violation of human rights to demand that welfare reciepients do the same? What else don't you like? The birth control for woman that pop out child after child so that THEY can keep riding the welfare gravy train? How is this simple procedure that hundreds of millions of responsible woman volentarally opt for every year a violation of human rights? How about the raids on government housing? If you were a...hum? say...a night time security guard and you were told NOT to have your girlfriend or boyfriend come and keep you company at your overnight post, and you did anyway, and your boss decided to check up on you and busted you with him/her and fired you, would that be a violation of your human rights? Why would it be a violation of your rights if you are living in a house that WE are providing FOR FREE, and we demand that your boyfriend not be hitching a free ride when you claimed you are single to get all the freebie's? And don't get me started with these "Access Cards" They are the biggest rackett of all time! i still cannot believe that taxpayers just sit by and allow thier money to be given to these dead beat losers who get to eat ten times better then the average working man. These welfare recipients literally buy a half ton of food ON WELFARE. Doesn't anyone see something wrong with this picture? A U.S. senator said a while ago that "America is the only country in the world where all the poorest people are overweight", and it's true! Normal working class people do not eat as well as welfare recepients, but we have to pay for them! A reward for being lazy, or for making bad decisions. The whole problem with the system is that it is too comfortable being on welfare, people get used to the easy life, no job, no rent to pay (or very little) free food, free medical, free dental. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! And then there is very little oversight to make sure that the welfare recepient is playing by the rules! Like I said earlier being on welfare NEEDS to be made to be a very miserable life, that no one except the most desperate, needy people need to be on it. I don't think even one of my suggestions violates anyones human rights, and I forgot one, welfare should be run like unemployment, where you only have so much time "to collect" before you have to find a job. You get maybe one year at the most, and the unemployment department can help find you a job, and call you when they find you a job, and if you are not working by then, or refuse a job that they find you... then oh well...here's a blanket go find a spot under the bridge!
I would have to agree with you too. You make some excellent points. I think those that are on welfare should be submitted to drug testing just like if someone were applying for a job. We don't want our hard earned tax dollars going to some junkie wanting to shoot up heroin. And getting welfare shouldn't be a lifetime benefit.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

936 posts, read 2,396,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
What human rights? If you are on welfare you should not have rights! The taxpayers own your ***** as far as I am concerned! What don't you like about my proposals? Do you not like the drug testing? When an average person applies for a job, they have to submit to a drug test, so how is it a violation of human rights to demand that welfare reciepients do the same? What else don't you like? The birth control for woman that pop out child after child so that THEY can keep riding the welfare gravy train? How is this simple procedure that hundreds of millions of responsible woman volentarally opt for every year a violation of human rights? How about the raids on government housing? If you were a...hum? say...a night time security guard and you were told NOT to have your girlfriend or boyfriend come and keep you company at your overnight post, and you did anyway, and your boss decided to check up on you and busted you with him/her and fired you, would that be a violation of your human rights? Why would it be a violation of your rights if you are living in a house that WE are providing FOR FREE, and we demand that your boyfriend not be hitching a free ride when you claimed you are single to get all the freebie's? And don't get me started with these "Access Cards" They are the biggest rackett of all time! i still cannot believe that taxpayers just sit by and allow thier money to be given to these dead beat losers who get to eat ten times better then the average working man. These welfare recipients literally buy a half ton of food ON WELFARE. Doesn't anyone see something wrong with this picture? A U.S. senator said a while ago that "America is the only country in the world where all the poorest people are overweight", and it's true! Normal working class people do not eat as well as welfare recepients, but we have to pay for them! A reward for being lazy, or for making bad decisions. The whole problem with the system is that it is too comfortable being on welfare, people get used to the easy life, no job, no rent to pay (or very little) free food, free medical, free dental. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! And then there is very little oversight to make sure that the welfare recepient is playing by the rules! Like I said earlier being on welfare NEEDS to be made to be a very miserable life, that no one except the most desperate, needy people need to be on it. I don't think even one of my suggestions violates anyones human rights, and I forgot one, welfare should be run like unemployment, where you only have so much time "to collect" before you have to find a job. You get maybe one year at the most, and the unemployment department can help find you a job, and call you when they find you a job, and if you are not working by then, or refuse a job that they find you... then oh well...here's a blanket go find a spot under the bridge!

I agree with most of your post except for the part of the "poorest people are overweight". The reasoning for this is because when your poor you cannot afford to eat properly and this is the reason for obesity. A person that can only afford to eat pasta, potatoes, bread and other essentially fattening foods are the ones that become overweight. The people that are on welfare and go out and buy filet mignon and lobster are not the people that are obese. I use to work in retail and seen many people on welfare and using (at the time) food stamps. They would come in with a ton of gold and diamonds on yet have food stamps. I even seen a woman one day in a full length mink coat use food stamps and then get into a brand new car outside the store. That really bothered me. Especially when I was working over 60 hours just to pay my bills. So yes there are plenty of cheats, unfortunately!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM

instead we should continue to pay for people who will continue to not work, lie, use drugs, deal drugs, and spend our money. people who will not give their own children an opportunity at life. people who we will pay for the food and housing for their children for them to teach their children how to deal drugs, use the system and live the same cycle so that we dont invade their rights. And no I dont think it is an invasion to their rights for us to do drug testing, if your arent doing anything illegal whats the big deal.
Is it better to put children in foster care that is as you say failing, take the money we are giving to these people and put into group homes and truly screened foster care homes. or to continue to give the money to these kinds of people who will just continue to teach these kids nothing and continue the life cycle.
Drug testing is not an invasion of rights, cops monitor laws not as an invasion but to keep us safe. its the same thing. you wouldnt, i would think, want your nurse doing drugs and then taking care of you, you wouldnt want your kids teacher doing drugs and then watching them.
I deal with people that live the cycle all day long. It is sad to hear their stories of how they were raised and taught to deal drugs and stand on the corner by the time they were 12. or to hear stories from young girls that were taught to turn tricks by 12 or 13. Is it really a better option to not drug test, give their parents the money to keep this life style or to take the money from these kinds of people and give to the kids in group homes( we will save a ton of money in paying out in free medical, housing, food stamps, and living expense money) put it in foster care and paying for drug testing and hopefully save a few children along the way, and teach people that it is a last resort and motivate them to provide for themselves.
I came from a very low income background. My parents both worked for many years around the clock to provide for us, not get from the state for free and teach us that you can live the life you want with hard work. And they now enjoy a middle class life style as do I.

Last edited by donnaofnj; 05-19-2009 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I could not disagree more with your post WBProud. There are so many violations of constitutional and human rights in your ideas that I could write a book on it.

I agree that the assistance system needs a severe overhaul, but violating constitutional rights is not the answer.

Its a violation of my rights and theft, in my opinion, that so many slugs are taking the money that I work for, and have no intention of even looking for work, and/or are using/dealing drugs.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

i couldnt agree more with go phillies. it is theft and violation on our rights what these people take from us and abuse on a daily basis.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM

I hope and pray that NONE of you ever find yourselves on public assistance. Then maybe you would know how it felt to have people call you a scumbag. Maybe you would know how it would feel to know that you are considered less than a person.

How utterly disgusting and elitist.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,788,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yes, but there are out-of-towners who come here to work and for a better quality of life, like yourself....and there are the out-of-towners in places like Sherman Hills that come here to live in public housing, get on welfare, and sell drugs.
Why are there so many worthless pieces of ---- in this country?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania