Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
Correction, none at Home Depot or at Lowes. My husband got them at orderpellets.com
The Lowe's in Edwardsville, where I am employed, does have them (for anyone reading this in the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM

366 posts, read 1,032,497 times
We live in NY, on Long Island. Lowes or Home Depot stock so little that they sell out upon delivery. There are a lot of pellet stoves on LI.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,244,218 times
Last year, Sam's Club had large bags of pellets.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM

248 posts, read 794,466 times
we ordered ours online and are having them delivered since the place we purchased our stove at is out.

orderpellets.com

i would try them. GL!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:09 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,115,421 times
Went to Edwardsville Lowes and was able to get 15 bags for $5.97 each. More than the $4.10 I usually pay but considering I no one else down here in Saylorsburg or the surrounding area had any, I didn't mind the drive and paying the price for them. Besides, it was a nice day for a drive and I got to meet ScanBarre!! Great guy and extremely helpful in providing me directions to the shops at Montage Mountain. Thanks, SB!! Hope to see you again sometime!!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:07 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Went to Edwardsville Lowes and was able to get 15 bags for $5.97 each. More than the $4.10 I usually pay but considering I no one else down here in Saylorsburg or the surrounding area had any, I didn't mind the drive and paying the price for them. Besides, it was a nice day for a drive and I got to meet ScanBarre!! Great guy and extremely helpful in providing me directions to the shops at Montage Mountain. Thanks, SB!! Hope to see you again sometime!!
Howdy, howdy! It was very nice to meet you and your lovely better half! Feel free to come up and visit the Wilkes-Barre area as often as you'd like. Yeah, $5.97 for 40 lbs. is a bit steep, but when you're one of the few games in town that actually has such a "hot" commodity (pun intended), then I guess people are willing to pay that premium. People are snatching up our supply left and right.

I'm going to try to assemble a short list here of people from our forum whom I've met in person thus far (that I can recall):
  • coartist88
  • DavidWebb
  • EnyaGirl
  • NYRangers2008
  • rockky
  • scrantonluna
  • weluvpa

I can't wait to meet many more of you, including memoriesbre, poconoproud, I LOVE PA, and Summering!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 67,708 times
Lol,

Seems kind of like you all got suckered into buying some junk pellet stove thats really not practical for living in Pennsylvania.

Don't be so lazy, get a REAL woodstove that will last you 20+ years, and buy some REAL firewood.

Its worth it, I have to keep one window open in my house all winter long, and I don't spend more than $1000 for the whole season.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyThirty View Post
Don't be so lazy, get a REAL woodstove that will last you 20+ years, and buy some REAL firewood.
You can have your cake and eat it too, get a coal stove. A hand fired coal stove needs to be looked after every 12 hours. A stoker which is like a pellet stove can go for days. I have yet to meet anyone that has ever burned wood that switched to coal that would ever go back and I've met hundreds of them. Wood is only nice if you're trying to score with a chick . ;P Assuming the cost of a cord of wood @180 is correct in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...cord-wood.html

Roughly speaking coal is $180 per ton delivered into your basement or where ever you want to store it. Might be a little less or more depending on your area and who you're getting it from.

Wood = $15 per million BTU's
Coal = $9

FUEL COST CALCULATOR!!! - Anthracite Coal Discussion and News

Note the efficiency rating on that document for coal should be changed to at least 80% and can go as high as 90%.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:33 AM

105,741 posts, read 107,736,740 times
the concept of the pellet stove was great.. each load excatley the same as the load before it in output. you could actually use a thermostat on it , something you could never do on a wood burning stove because the loads are inconsistant as to heat output based on the size and type of wood .

i knew when we looked at them that they were over priced and like everything else those pellets would suddenly be in short supply as this thing got more popular and expensive compared to what they were when the idea hit the market.

they quoted us 4500.00 for basically a free standing stove that should have been no more than 1/2 that.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:11 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they quoted us 4500.00 for basically a free standing stove that should have been no more than 1/2 that.
That is quite frankly outrageous. You can get a Keystoker boiler for that cost, as in hot water baseboard and it will last you 30 or 40 years. The cheapest free standing coal stoker starts around $1800 for 70K unit.

Scroll down a little: Stove, Fireplace, Heating, Drums PA, (http://www.valleystoveandfireplace.com/Products.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania