Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Blip referenced a recent article in the Wall Street Journal in which our very own Electric City was highly lauded.

The article focuses primarily on how natives who relocated to other parts of the BosWash Corridor to further their professional pursuits are now starting to fuel a resurgence in the city as they return to Scranton in pursuit of "small-town qualities." It touts our location two hours from NYC or Philadelphia and our median home value that is $200,000 less than the national average.

I also found it interesting to read about Michele Dempsey, an architect who returned to Scranton to open her own downtown firm. In her employment are an architect who is another native of the city and moved back home from New York City, as well as a designer who moved here with his same-sex partner, a Scranton native who opened a new wine bar downtown. One of Michele's siblings moved back home from NYC, as did her brother-in-law.

I myself hope to leave the region to branch out into the corporate world, but I too will return someday to raise my family in the heart of the city of Scranton just like the others mentioned in the article, which can be found here:

Behind a Blue-Collar Cliché - WSJ.com

It was nice to read something upbeat about the city for a change. Judging by this forum you'd swear that Scranton was going to hell in a hand basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
WOW that seems like it was scripted right from the city of scranton website...You know its a BS PR ad because of the faulty numbers.....Doherty probably got the whose who of crony hacks to put that together so it would help defend the city against the national media onslaught that we have seen.......Sheepish reading...How come the only ones that they are talking about are the Dempsey's???? What are they only ones that moved back to be in business or were they the choosen ones for the article by the king himself.. Don't even get me started on Michelle.....

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Michele Dempsey probably ended up back in Scranton because she wasn't all that good at her job. Want proof? Go look at the ridiculous looking new Fidelity Bank at the corner of Main Ave and Luzerne St.....it was designed by Dempsey and looks like it was taken from an episode of The Jetsons. Its hideous.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Michele Dempsey probably ended up back in Scranton because she wasn't all that good at her job. Want proof? Go look at the ridiculous looking new Fidelity Bank at the corner of Main Ave and Luzerne St.....it was designed by Dempsey and looks like it was taken from an episode of The Jetsons. Its hideous.
I'm partial to modern architecture, and I don't mind that building in itself. Better than some post-modern fake-old building with columns and crap. Or yikes banks that look like houses-- I actually want my bank to feel like an institution, not like my neighbor's house.

But what I don't like is how it's set back, suburban style, destroying the streetscape. And that they demolished what I hear was a beautiful old church for space for the parking lot.

Most architects just don't get urban planning.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Now that Marywood University is starting its own architecture program I may just go back at some point in my 30s for my second Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Architecture. I may be entering the workforce as an accountant, but my true passion is for architectural preservation and design. I'm one of the rare ones who thinks it's preferable to reinvent older buildings whenever possible instead of just tearing them down for suburban-style monstrosities.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-28-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
Michelle designed the house that her family built at Moosic Lakes a few years back while my folks still had their house and just about every contractor on the job walked at one point or another because of her design flaws and the constant changes she made in the design....It took 4 contractors till they found one that was willing to build the stupid redwood deck she designed on the house....The house took 4 times longer to build then was planned and it turned out to be one of the ugliest homes on the lake....

She probably needed to have her own firm so she could actually work in her field and her family financed her firm anyway....She is a success Its not hard to be good at something when you have the backing to financially not have to worry about doing bad work.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
That article is Doherty propaganda. Look around, Scranton is going to hell in a hand basket.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,506 times
I happen to like the ad with Kevin from the Office.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Doherty always has to have his face on any ad about Scranton. He's such a cocky self-absorbed clown. Why can't anything just be about the city...why does it always have to become a photo op for Doherty?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Doherty always has to have his face on any ad about Scranton. He's such a cocky self-absorbed clown. Why can't anything just be about the city...why does it always have to become a photo op for Doherty?
Perhaps because he knows that just like Rep. Kanjorski his popularity has flown the coop, and he's trying desperately to do anything to win back this approval?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania