Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 27,841 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Myself,my wife and 4 year old son are possibly looking to move to scranton.We currently live in east stroudsburg.We want to move for afew reasons.It seems that scranton housing and taxes seem very affordable.We are looking to spend no more than $140000.I understand that it would prabably be an older home.We would possible look to get a legal two family to rent out the other half.With that price we are looking to spend can we get something that is not a fixer upper in a family oriented neighborhood in scranton with good schools and close to descent shopping 10minute max driving.Our son has special needs(hearing loss so can anyone recommend a decent public school in scranton that is known for these types.He needs sppech therapy which he currently gets through our school system down here and he goes to a private therapist also.We want him to to be mainstreamed in a regular public school.So if anyone has children that go to scranto schools any help would be greatly appreciated.Can anyone recommend a decent real estate agent in the scranton area.I just want to stress that we want to stay within the scranto area.My wife and myself are formaly from new york so we would like to have the feeling of being close to small city like scranton is but with descent services.Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
How soon are you looking to move? I sent you a PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Hello there!

You're in luck, my friend. I just did some research on the web site for the Greater Scranton Board of Realtors, and it turned up 140 multi-family residential properties (including duplexes) within the city limits of Scranton alone for under $140,000. They range of course from a total fixer-upper in a seedier part of the city's South Side for $12,900 on up to some more well-kept duplexes for $139,900 in better areas.

Here is the link:

Greater Scranton Board of Realtors, Inc. - Search for Properties (http://northeastpamls.com/content/SearchForProperties.htm - broken link)

The Scranton State School For The Deaf is located in the Green Ridge neighborhood on the city's north side. I don't know much about the Scranton School District's reputation for accommodating students with special needs, but there are many others on here who reside in the city, and those with children could probably provide you with some better insight into that. Scranton's housing costs and property taxes are indeed very reasonable in relation to Stroudsburg, but you must also bear in mind that the city levies a 3.4% wage tax on its residents with 1.0% going to help support the Scranton School District and 2.4% going to the city's treasury. This is one of the few remaining reasons as to why people are moving all around the city but not into Scranton.

The "big" real estate firms in the immediate Scranton area include Semian & Gress, Classic Properties, Realtec/One Source Realty, Lewith & Freeman, and Century 21 with some smaller firms scattered around as well. Bill Goldsworthy, the mayor of West Pittston and a family friend of ours, is a real estate agent serving the Greater Pittston area, but he may be able to help you out in the Scranton area as well. We used Atlas Realty when we purchased our home here in 1996, and my parents were very pleased with their service. Their listings are almost exclusively in the Pittston area though.

If we can be of any further help, please let us know!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

17 posts, read 33,111 times
mention the taxes in SCRANTON are TWICE AS MUCH as in DUNMORE (like a block away and actually right by the school for the deaf).. also mention property values are up in dunmore and throop and down in scranton.. just a fact or two

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney3697 View Post
mention the taxes in SCRANTON are TWICE AS MUCH as in DUNMORE (like a block away and actually right by the school for the deaf).. also mention property values are up in dunmore and throop and down in scranton.. just a fact or two
Scranton's taxes are DIRT CHEAP compared to here in The Pittstons. My parents pay just under $4,000 per year for a 3-bedroom, 1-bath home with about 1,600 square feet. Most comparable homes in Scranton would be HALF THAT. Why is it that YOU are the ones always complaining about your "outrageous" property taxes though?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Default we're not talking pittstons were talking DUNMORE

are you two realtors for scranton or just enjoy misleading folks? true or flase STRAIGHT ANSWER... taxes are llower in DUNMOREthan in Scranton? yes or no? Property values are higher in DUNmore than in Scranton? cripes

Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney3697 View Post

Do your homework. While I have nothing against Dunmore, its a nice enough town, it has the highest borough property taxes in the area. The borough has had to petition the courts to allow them to raise the property taxes beyond the limit allowed by law. Scranton's property taxes are pretty reasonable. For the low price I paid for my house, Scranton's higher wage tax does not matter to me, its a wash with the money I saved on my house and from not having to drive to get everywhere as I would have to if I lived in the suburbs.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM

wage tax neagates any "lower tax" do that math... and driving from dunmore to scranton in most cases is less than 5 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania