Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 16,543 times

Advertisements

I do appreciate all the kind replies. We have met many wonderful people in England, and certainly haven't run into a lot of animosity for being Americans. To be honest, the only real resentment we have encountered has come from fellow immigrants who have no problem expressing their blatant distrust and anger towards Americans and the British.

We live in an area that is relatively culturally diverse. Many of the local British have expressed their dislike of other, non-white immigrants to us, but quick to mention that they love Americans.

I am careful to remind them that a multicultural society is not a shock nor a problem for me, as I was born in New Jersey, in an area that was certainly culturally diverse. I am the grandchild of proud immigrants who came into America via Ellis Island (respectively from Hungary and Sicily). I tell them that I could never feel such resentment towards people from other cultures, when America is such a beautifully diverse country.

Needless to say, I do understand the resentment I have encountered from fellow immigrants, but it does hurt.
We aren't all the same. Although from what I understand, life in the UK is often easier for them than it is for us.
My husband and I went through a lot of trouble to move to the UK. We had to go through an extensive background clearance, biometric scanning, and we paid a high sum to the British government for our entrance visas. Yet, others have arrived here only to throw their passports in the toilet and are able to stay, receive money from the government, and have themselves placed in council housing that is oftentimes nicer than non-government funded housing.

I don't hate anyone though. It's not people, but policies... The government creates the policies for a reason. Far be it for me to criticise or question, as I am not a citizen here. I don't feel I have a right to question or challenge their system.

I do wish some of the same assistance and help was in place for an American, such as myself, who is here as a labour of love to teach their children. I am not a saint, mind you, and I don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out for me, but we have not had it entirely easy here.

As a matter of fact, most every British person we have come across outside of my work place has expressed their anger towards the British government for not extending the same assistance for people like my husband and I.

Again, I don't feel like we need help, as we are making it here, even if things are more than a bit tight many times.

One of the things that is admittedly frustrating is that once my year contract is over, we will surely have to leave to enter the country again and go back to the States to reapply for another work permit and start over again. That is very costly. That is one of the reasons why I have joined city-data forum, as I want to research the possibilities of moving to other areas in the USA after my assignment here is finished. Granted, my husband and I both would love to stay in England for at least a few years, but we might not be able to save enough money to fund it again after this year is over.

Although the internet is a gateway to the world, I do find myself feeling a bit disconnected from life in the States, and most especially life in the Poconos. That's why I ended up on this particular forum.

I want to once again thank everyone for their kind comments.

The Poconos will always be in my heart. Although, ironically, I can't drive in the snow! I had two very close calls driving down Broadhead Road in Bushkill. It's laughable to everyone but myself! My husband had never driven in the snow before, apart from perhaps one time when he was a teenager in his old hometown of Big Stone Gap, VA, yet we left PA during a major snowstorm in December to relocate to Florida and he took to the snow like a true pro. My nails were dug into my hands and I was having near panic attacks! If only there was excellent public transport into Bushkill and Milford!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 PM

64 posts, read 234,859 times
Wow, what an adventure! Has it been as romantic as it sounds, high costs notwithstanding?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:50 AM

8 posts, read 16,543 times
Default the romance of England

Oh yes...When we first arrived, I will never forget the look on my husband's face as we left Heathrow and went via the tube into central London to catch a train to our destination. He was awestruck, although he would not admit it. He's from a mountain part of VA--where he grew up on a "holler"...He had lived in Florida, and we had lived in TN as well (where was he born), but apart from a very brief stint up north, and seeing Mt Olive, New Jersey, he hadn't seen anything remotely city-like, except perhaps Tampa... The day we left, he had never riden in an airport limo, never been to an airport...never been on a plane...and in one day he went on a plane, landed at JFK....flew to Heathrow, rode on a subway, rode in a taxi.... It was great...To be able to share that with him was something I will never forget.

Oh, let me add, he doesn't sound like he's from the sticks though So, when he tells people where he's from, they are shocked. People here are constantly asking if I am from NY....close, but no cigar They can never quite catch where he is from though, and to them I have a "stronger" accent.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 114,180 times
I live very well in lake wallenpaupack area in a 4 bedroom house on $3000 month

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM

212 posts, read 502,344 times
I wonder how natashasimone is these days... are you still in England?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania