Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,717 times

Advertisements

I am SO bummed. Just found out that CuVenee, my favorite little restaurant here in the Dallas Shopping Center, has closed its doors. My husband and I have been "regulars" at this place since moving here. Their food was SO delicious (french cuisine..), their drink menu was to die for (coconut mojitos..yummm), an extensive wine list, and it had such a nice ambiance too. I was really shocked because they took part in the Fork in the Park event at Misericordia just a few weeks ago, and I thought they were doing well!

My boss informed me that the last 3 or 4 restaurants that opened in that shopping center have failed...he believes because it's a bad location.

Then Mark II closed it's doors also. I don't know the details (maybe someone else here knows what the story was?) but the owner was being thrown in jail for something? (I could google, but I'm too lazy right now). Anyway, I believe the one in WB closed as well. We loved going there for a quick, cheap bite to eat...they had a great breakfast buffet and awesome soup!

Starbucks will also be closing here in Dallas.....that's not news, but I was hoping they would somehow be salvaged...not sure exactly when, but one of the workers there confirmed that they do still plan to close, they're just waiting for word on when.

I wonder what will fill these locations, or if, due to the economic conditions, these buildings will just sit for years with "for rent" signs on them. Sighhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
I hear that many restaurants are hurting in this economy. I bet some have lost their credit lines to be able to work with for their expenses.
I bet the economy has something to do with one of our posters here not even being given the minimum wage. Right now we are in a big mess out there..........sad situation.
Can we believe that a billion was spent on this campaigning.........crazyness!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I am SO bummed. Just found out that CuVenee, my favorite little restaurant here in the Dallas Shopping Center, has closed its doors. My husband and I have been "regulars" at this place since moving here. Their food was SO delicious (french cuisine..), their drink menu was to die for (coconut mojitos..yummm), an extensive wine list, and it had such a nice ambiance too. I was really shocked because they took part in the Fork in the Park event at Misericordia just a few weeks ago, and I thought they were doing well!

My boss informed me that the last 3 or 4 restaurants that opened in that shopping center have failed...he believes because it's a bad location.

Then Mark II closed it's doors also. I don't know the details (maybe someone else here knows what the story was?) but the owner was being thrown in jail for something? (I could google, but I'm too lazy right now). Anyway, I believe the one in WB closed as well. We loved going there for a quick, cheap bite to eat...they had a great breakfast buffet and awesome soup!

Starbucks will also be closing here in Dallas.....that's not news, but I was hoping they would somehow be salvaged...not sure exactly when, but one of the workers there confirmed that they do still plan to close, they're just waiting for word on when.

I wonder what will fill these locations, or if, due to the economic conditions, these buildings will just sit for years with "for rent" signs on them. Sighhh.
That Mark II restaraunt owner is charged with murder! I believe he shot his step son to death if I'm not mistaken. I remember seeing that on the news last year. As for the restaraunts closing... I just think it's the economy right now. People aren't eating out as much as they used too. I know I have dramatically cut back on eating at restaraunts myself. My paycheck just doesn't stretch as far as it used to. I've even been contemplating taken on a second part time job until things get a little better. I don't know if you and your hubby like chili dogs, but The Ranch Wagon out there in Dallas has some of the best hot dogs I've ever had. My father used to take me there when I was a kid, they used to bring your food out to your car, and they even had a special kind of tray that you could hang from your partially rolled down window so you would'nt have to put your meal right on your lap, as a kid, I thought that was the coolest contraption ever invented! I don't know if they still serve meals that way. It was very 1950's style. Anyway, I stopped eating pork and beef about 7 years ago, and I haven't been there in a very long time, but if you like hot dogs then they are the best! It isn't fancy french cuisine (well, I don't know if french fries count) but it's pretty damn good food.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 PM

127 posts, read 290,427 times
W-B proud you are right. Here is a link to the story:

Community Reacts To Back Mountain Murder (http://pahomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=26361 - broken link)

As for the other restaurants closing in the area the majority of them are closing because of the economy.

Nobody can afford to eat out as much as they used to. Nobody can shop as freely as they have in the past. Wallets are being held tighter, pockets are more empty and utility bills have risen. The extra money just isn't there. That and that many people are taking on two jobs just to scrape by and they don't have time to sit and eat themselves.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrovintage View Post
W-B proud you are right. Here is a link to the story:

Community Reacts To Back Mountain Murder (http://pahomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=26361 - broken link)

As for the other restaurants closing in the area the majority of them are closing because of the economy.

Nobody can afford to eat out as much as they used to. Nobody can shop as freely as they have in the past. Wallets are being held tighter, pockets are more empty and utility bills have risen. The extra money just isn't there. That and that many people are taking on two jobs just to scrape by and they don't have time to sit and eat themselves.
Hey retrovintage, It's nice to have another W-B area poster on this site. I'm usually the only one. I hope you frequent this site alot.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Hey retrovintage, It's nice to have another W-B area poster on this site. I'm usually the only one. I hope you frequent this site alot.
Wrong! Chefkey posts here quite a bit, and once-in-a-blue-moon Karnak rolls on in. I'm in Downtown Wilkes-Barre much of the week, so I can qualify as a part-time Wilkes-Barre poster as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:32 PM

127 posts, read 290,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post

Thanks for having me! I have been reading the board for awhile but rarely have had the time to post.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wrong! Chefkey posts here quite a bit, and once-in-a-blue-moon Karnak rolls on in. I'm in Downtown Wilkes-Barre much of the week, so I can qualify as a part-time Wilkes-Barre poster as well.
Yah, but compared to the small army of Scranton folk. I tend to get a bit lonely in the W-B area from time to time. Let's face it, as much as I enjoy reading the endless love-hate Scranton/Chris Doherty topics and posts, I don't really have a horse in that race if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania