Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,426,749 times

Advertisements

Well, here's a little background from our trip....

Our friends flew down on Monday, then Tuesday we headed up. We were staying in an old B&B & reserved a "haunted" room for us. When we got there they were having a plumbing issue in the section where our room was, so they moved us into another room. The issue was fixed the next day, so we were moved into our original room the 2nd night.

Something kinda weird...when we were in Savannah, we stayed in a "haunted" room there & our camera died. In St. Augustine, when we were moved into the "haunted" room the 2nd night, our camera died!!! (brand new camera!!) It's well known in paranormal circles that "ghosts" are known to drain electronics for their "energy"......hmmmmmm..... I have no pix of Flagler college 'cause of the dead camera. BUT!!! When we got home, the camera was fine!! (JG inserts Twilight Zone music...)

St. Augustine was founded in the 1500's & a lot of the buildings & streets are very old. As Mrs. Summering said, it's an old city but yet very current & vibrant!!

We took our friends to the lighthouse there, the Marian shrine & the old fort as well as just walking the streets (I haven't been street-walking in YEARS!!) taking in the sights....

In the pix of the old fort, the holes in the ouside walls are from cannon-fire hundreds of years ago, & the small vaulted room inside has a story...

The commander of the fort in the 1600's caught his wife cheating with another officer, so he had them walled up alive in that room. I had to crawl through the 2-foot opening to get inside....(at least when they discovered the room many years later, they removed the bones!!)

So here's the pix....enjoy!!

Picasa Web Albums - George - St. Augustine...

Last edited by Jungle George; 02-20-2009 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,379,845 times
Thanks for sharing the pics JG!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,566,786 times
I love St. Augustine. My grandparents live in Palm Coast, and whenever we visit, we go to St. Augustine. In fact, I am visiting them at the end of March and will prob. be stopping there!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,727,526 times
Love it!! Looks like a different country! Thanks for sahring JG...especially like the funky tree with the palm tree growing out of it!!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,571,024 times
I really loved the pictures. Somewhere, in some album of my parents, there are pictures of me at ten years old at that fort. My father was so in love with historic places......
Many years later I took pictures of the fountain. He really had me believing that story........jokester he was.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Love it!! Looks like a different country! Thanks for sahring JG...especially like the funky tree with the palm tree growing out of it!!
It's like walking around in Europe with everyone speaking English!! That's why I love it there...3 hours away, & I'm in another "world"!! That tree's called "The Kissing Tree". They have a legend that the 2 trees fell in love & grew around each other, so if you kiss in front of it, you'll have "marital bliss"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I really loved the pictures. Somewhere, in some album of my parents, there are pictures of me at ten years old at that fort. My father was so in love with historic places......
Many years later I took pictures of the fountain. He really had me believing that story........jokester he was.
Ten years old huh??? Did they have cameras back then, or was it chiseled into stone???

(oldster JG runs like hell as Mrs. Summering chases him with an iron frying pan....)

Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Here's a link to Flagler College...beautiful place & some photos...

Flagler College

Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM

A firefighter was working on the engine outside the Station, when he noticed a little girl nearby in a little red wagon with little ladders hung off the
sides, and a garden hose tightly coiled in the middle.

The girl was wearing a firefighters helmet. The wagon was being pulled by her dog and her cat.

The firefighter walked over to take a closer look.

'That sure is a nice fire truck,' the firefighter said with admiration.

'Thanks,' the girl replied.

The firefighter looked a little closer. The girl had tied the wagon to her dog's collar and to the cat's testicles.

'Little partner,' the firefighter said, 'I don't want to tell you how to run your truck, but if you were to tie that rope around the cat's collar, I think you could go faster.'

The little girl replied thoughtfully, 'You're probably right, but then I wouldn't have a siren.'

Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,072,663 times
good joke, jg...i needed a chuckle...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,571,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
It's like walking around in Europe with everyone speaking English!! That's why I love it there...3 hours away, & I'm in another "world"!! That tree's called "The Kissing Tree". They have a legend that the 2 trees fell in love & grew around each other, so if you kiss in front of it, you'll have "marital bliss"....

Ten years old huh??? Did they have cameras back then, or was it chiseled into stone???

(oldster JG runs like hell as Mrs. Summering chases him with an iron frying pan....)
Oh gosh, Thinking about it....I must have had my brownie camera.......
with black and white film.........I have no iron frying pan handy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania