Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
JG - that is so horrible what he is going through! I will say a prayer for him tonight. It is so bad when you have health problems. You are right about it though. The ones who need it can not get it. When I was young, my dad lost his job (making $2.47 an hour) and mom didn't work because I had a baby sister, and they could not get any kind of assistance. Luckily he found a job fairly quick. That was 5 people living off diddley squat and no help. These people think that they are "owed" this money. My mom actually had a 14 year old preg. girl yelling at her saying "I pay your salary". I would've flipped! I have a relative who owns his own business and got a younger girl (she is not young but 18 years younger then he is) preg. and because they are not married, the kid is receiving medical assistance. Figure that one out. Yes, they just built on brand new house and they do live together. One other problem is that when a child receives medical assistance, they are on it until they are 18 no matter what. They can win a million dollars and that doesn't matter. I best stop now before my blood pressure goes up too much.
Thank you for the prayers!!

He's not the type to "sit back". I'd ask him why he was working so many hours when it was obvious it was hurting him to do so...he said "what am I gonna do?? Sit back & feel sorry for myself?? I enjoy helping people & sooner or later I won't be able to physically, so I'll do what I can now".

His favorite phrase is "when life hands you lemons, make some kick-ass lemonade!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Like I said there is a place for welfare in our society, but there is a complete lack of regulation, and criminals and opportunist have sacked the system, and use it as a free ride. It was never intended to be that. When I used to drive cab, I used to pick these people up at grocery stores on the third of the month (when the checks come out) They would have three hundred dollors worth of name brand foods! Two, Three overflowing carts worth! Ribs, steaks, seafood you name it. After I would have to laod and unload thier groceries. I'd notice they would be wearing $200 sneakers, $300 hip hop clothing, fancy cell phones, the ladies would have thier nails manicured! When I did take them to Sherman Hills or wherever the'd have satelite dishes on the sides of thier houses! Can you afford $300 worth of name brand hip hop clothes?, or $200 sneakers? It's an outrage! They obviously do not need the access card if they have all this money to blow on expensive crap! But they play the system! and get away scott free, because there is no regulation. If you saw the blatant abuse of the system that I did while driving cab, you'd have a totally different perspective of the broken welfare system. The commercials show a needy, innocent mother in the bathroom running a hot shower so the steam will help her kids asthma, because she cannot afford the medicine for her child! That is not the real face of the welfare system my friends! If you want the real face of the welfare sysytem, put on The Jerry Springer reruns, or the Maury Povitch show...those are the people you are being forced to support with your tax dollars!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I went to college and have a decent job for this area, and I'm still having to cut corners to make ends meet and support my family....buy store brands whenever possible, don't buy expensive clothes, etc. It boils my blood when I go for a walk on my break, and I see the people coming out of the welfare office yapping on their cell phones in their expensive sneakers and designer clothes, and of course, SMOKING! They need MY MONEY to buy their food, yet they always have money for smokes, booze, fancy clothes, cell phones, and whatever else....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

201 posts, read 538,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Thank you for the prayers!!

He's not the type to "sit back". I'd ask him why he was working so many hours when it was obvious it was hurting him to do so...he said "what am I gonna do?? Sit back & feel sorry for myself?? I enjoy helping people & sooner or later I won't be able to physically, so I'll do what I can now".

His favorite phrase is "when life hands you lemons, make some kick-ass lemonade!!"
No problem. What is adding one more to my list . I like that saying. Mind if I steel it from him? My hubby is the same way. I keep telling him to take it easy but he pushes himself to the point of exhaustion. I think he feels worthless if he does not accomplish something. Men, they are so stubborn!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM

My first thought is "there goes the neighborhood" whenever I see a taxi or a Rent-a-Center/Aaron's truck......

These people can barely provide for the children they keep popping out, yet they have to rent that 52" flat screen TV....

Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
I'm gonna write Mayor Leighton and demand an increase in the Police force. It's time to get to work or get out Tom. Stop telling people to go F themselves when you just might need the same comment thrown your way.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 AM

99 posts, read 338,307 times
Think about this: most companies and retail stores have a mandatory urine test to screen for drugs. Why is it that the welfare system does not do the same thing? Random drug testing of recipients should be done on a regular basis. If you can't work at WalMart if you come up positive, you certainly shouldn't be able to get cash from the government!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 AM

37 posts, read 99,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Alot of these people are section 8. Their girlfriends get all the welfare freebie's, because they claim they are single mothers with children, and when no one is looking they move thier deadbeat, thug boyfriends in with them. They are not supposed to do that, but there is zero check ups, zero raids on the properties to make sure no one is there that shouldn't be ect. In my opinion, if you are on welfare, your a$$ belongs to us and we will do whatever we please (random house raids, random drug and alcohol testing, vouchers for only simple foods like bread, milk, rice, beans and eggs. No Seafood and ribs. No going to the liquor store with your welfare check ect. It's unbelievable how unregulated and how easy it is to get a free ride and abuse it. Being on welfare should be a very miserable existance, it should be one step above living in a shelter or under a bridge. It should be so bad that it propels a person to get off of it as soon as possible. I think they should do away with the welfare check altogether, and in it's place thousands of government daycare centers. Instead of women getting welfare because "they can't work because they have kids" I say put the kids in these daycare centers, and force the mother to go work and pay her own way with limited assistance. Ban all people that test positive for drugs and alcohol, make the mothers have an implanted birth control while on welfare, and it should be like unemployment compensation where you cannot open a welfare claim, until you have already worked, and have payed into the system to earn welfare credits. If you have never worked, and have no choice but to go on welfare, then you will be pushed into the first avaliable job via goverment agencies that find you a jod immediately. If you refuse the job, you get bannished from the welfare gravy train. To many free loaders, to many criminals, to many people abusing the system that was put in place to help them. It's time to clamp down on the deadbeats, and make them pay thier own way!

Wow you are so arrogant and apparently don't know what its like to be barely getting by. My mother raised my 2 siblings and I on welfare and we lived in HUD (section 8) apartments. My mom DID work, just didn't make enough to raise 3 kids as a single parent. Shut your mouth if you don't know what you are talking about. Don't generalize. You don't like it when I do that about WB so don't do that about welfare people.

Oh and yes, section 8 DOES do check ups on houses they approve. They have to be inspected (I think every 6 months.. been years since I lived in a HUD home) in order to be approved for HUD.

Again, unless you know your facts and aren't just speaking what you THINK you know but don't really have a clue about then.. ST*U! My mother is a damn good woman and NEVER once was a low life who abused the system. She was married when all 3 of us were conceived and born and then got a divorce when my sister (the youngest) was 2. If you've never been in that situation you have NO right to make any assumptions! NONE!

Oh yeah, and proof reading is a great thing, Budro.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM

37 posts, read 99,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Like I said there is a place for welfare in our society, but there is a complete lack of regulation, and criminals and opportunist have sacked the system, and use it as a free ride. It was never intended to be that. When I used to drive cab, I used to pick these people up at grocery stores on the third of the month (when the checks come out) They would have three hundred dollors worth of name brand foods! Two, Three overflowing carts worth! Ribs, steaks, seafood you name it. After I would have to laod and unload thier groceries. I'd notice they would be wearing $200 sneakers, $300 hip hop clothing, fancy cell phones, the ladies would have thier nails manicured! When I did take them to Sherman Hills or wherever the'd have satelite dishes on the sides of thier houses! Can you afford $300 worth of name brand hip hop clothes?, or $200 sneakers? It's an outrage! They obviously do not need the access card if they have all this money to blow on expensive crap! But they play the system! and get away scott free, because there is no regulation. If you saw the blatant abuse of the system that I did while driving cab, you'd have a totally different perspective of the broken welfare system. The commercials show a needy, innocent mother in the bathroom running a hot shower so the steam will help her kids asthma, because she cannot afford the medicine for her child! That is not the real face of the welfare system my friends! If you want the real face of the welfare sysytem, put on The Jerry Springer reruns, or the Maury Povitch show...those are the people you are being forced to support with your tax dollars!!!
Again, that's BS. I tried to apply for measly food stamps because we have a house and a car and other stuff to pay for and with the economy the way its heading, yeah money is tight and food is a PRIORITY. We go a lot hungrier than we should. My sister pays the electric bill, her bf pays the phone/internet/cable bill. Bf pays the rest including his truck payment, and I have my own car/insurance to pay and don't make all that much money.

Stop effing generalizing!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsgirl827 View Post
Again, that's BS. I tried to apply for measly food stamps because we have a house and a car and other stuff to pay for and with the economy the way its heading, yeah money is tight and food is a PRIORITY. We go a lot hungrier than we should. My sister pays the electric bill, her bf pays the phone/internet/cable bill. Bf pays the rest including his truck payment, and I have my own car/insurance to pay and don't make all that much money.

Stop effing generalizing!
Do you really need cable and internet if you can't afford food? Not exactly necessities.

Plus, if you don't have any kids, there's nothing stopping you from getting a second job.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 11-18-2008 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania