Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM

37 posts, read 99,541 times

Advertisements

"Well said! I was thinking exactly what you wrote. There is a sense of entitlement among many in the welfare class. Many feel that the world somehow owes them a living, because they cannot make it on thier own. When someone who has enjoyed the welfare gravy train as bjsgirl has, and instead of thanking all the working people that have supported her and her mother, instead flips out because people are getting sick and tired of having to support deadbeats when they are barely getting by themselves, it makes me want to restrict welfare all the more. Bjsgirl should be thanking us for keeping her family from being homeless or living in shelters, not flipping out because a few of us have spoken out against the many, many problems with the current welfare system and how it is run!"

^I should be thanking you? Excuse me?!?! My mother DID work. She worked her butt off to raise us. She just needed help. Again, just goes to show you probably have never been a single parent. And if you have, good for you. Not everybody is made of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Can we PLEASE stop harassing bj girl (interesting choice of a user name, by the way), and get back on topic?!! Yac just reamed out me and weluvpa AGAIN for our brawl about Scranton in another thread, and I'm sure he'll be in here soon too chastising you all for berating our new friend here.

Why be so judgmental? We haven't walked in this woman's shoes. For all we know she could be accessing this forum from the public library, or perhaps she has a very, very affordable home internet connection. Perhaps she pays for this internet connection in lieu of cable television?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM

Buddy look! I pay for the damn system too!!! I WORK!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 AM

All I was trying to say is that not everybody abuses the system the way you made it out to seem. We get by here at home without welfare. I was going to apply, but didn't. You don't know my mother, you don't know what she went through and you need to back off. Stop labeling welfare people as druggies and abusers.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 AM

Oh and btw, my user name is my bf's nickname. His first 2 initials are BJ, and he was born BEFORE bj stood for what it does today.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsgirl827 View Post
Stop labeling welfare people as druggies and abusers.
Once again, nobody here labeled ALL people on welfare as druggies or abusers, just that there are many people who are druggies and/or milking the system and making a lifestyle out of welfare rather than using it as its intent: a temporary safety net.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Technically, he did by saying the city should get rid of section 8 to get rid of the druggies and abusers.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I don't think they should get rid of Section 8, but it sure needs an enema at this point. What I think they should do is restrict section 8 to area natives only. A lot of Wilkes-Barre's crime problems comes from all of the trash that moves there from Philly and NYC specifically for Section 8 and public housing. If those people who move here just to get on the public assistance gravy train want handouts, they should stay in Philly, NY, and NJ to get assistance. Look at the demographics of places like Sherman Hills in Wilkes-Barre, and its apparent that many of the people there are not NE PA natives. And while the welfare queens from the inner cities get a free ride here, many working people in this area can't make ends meet. Its not right.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 AM

I agree with you there. That is a valid point. But the way W-B proud came across was not right. I still maintain that he was in the wrong for saying it the way he did.

I agree, the system DOES need to be more strict and cut out more loop holes. I was just EXTREMELY irritated at how arrogant he came across. I grew up on the system, I know there are abusers/druggies.. etc.

When I was like 8 or 9 my mom actually had PAPER food stamps. When you had an order of 17.00 but handed the cashier a $20 food stamp, they had to give you $3 CASH in change. There were TONS of people who would use that for cigarettes and whatever else NON-FOOD items they wanted. That's why anybody who is on food stamps now has an EBT card that is good for food only. No more using change for non-food. They are trying to crack down on abusers, its just not going to happen overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day. Our country is FULL of bad systems and faults. All any of us can do is just sit it out. Trust me, I hate when I see people abusing the system too. I work, I pay taxes. Don't think I don't just because I complained about money being tight. I am not on welfare and haven't been since my mom got off of the system 8 years ago when I was 14. I agree that it is absolutely frustrating.

But being that my family was raised on food stamps for about 7-8 years, I take offense to the druggies/abusers comment. Disagree with me all you want. He worded it wrong. The way he said it he DID label all welfare people the same.. when indeed they are not.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Wow, this thread is a train wreck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania