Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,432 times

Advertisements

My family and I could be moving to the scranton area very soon. My husband has applied for a higher position at work but it is in Scranton. If all goes well (hopefully they do) we could be moving within the next 4 or 5 weeks (YIKES). We will most likely have to rent a house or apartment until we can finally settle in our own house. My question is, does anyone know of a good area to live? or reccomend a reputable realtor? Obviously we don't want to live in a high crime area so if anyone can give some suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J10142000 View Post
My family and I could be moving to the scranton area very soon. My husband has applied for a higher position at work but it is in Scranton. If all goes well (hopefully they do) we could be moving within the next 4 or 5 weeks (YIKES). We will most likely have to rent a house or apartment until we can finally settle in our own house. My question is, does anyone know of a good area to live? or reccomend a reputable realtor? Obviously we don't want to live in a high crime area so if anyone can give some suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well I been living in Scranton, all my life. As anyone would tell you that lives here. There are some bad and good parts of Scranton. Your best bet would be to find a nice 2 bedroom apartment. Perhaps in the north section of scranton or Plot area. Both are quite for the most part and close to everything.

Buying a house in Scranton?? Two things. 1, houses are fairly cheep to buy at this point. But beware of were you buy one. Also look on your own to buy a house. Just driving around some parts of scranton, you will get a feel for things.

I would also keep in mind of the high taxes on houses, such as the dumb and very high school tax! wage taxes are also very high. If you could find a nice place on the out side of scranton, I would do so. Im still looking. Not that I dont love living in scranton, but to buy a house here?? Well ill past on that.

Also keep in mind realtors will try to sell you anything.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've read some posts reguarding Clarks-Summit mostly good things. What do you think?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J10142000 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've read some posts reguarding Clarks-Summit mostly good things. What do you think?
Nothing wrong with Clarks-Summit, its a very nice area. I dont know what kind of work you guys are into. But C-S, is alot different then Scranton. Not in a bad way. But lets just say in my terms "Thats were all the rich people live" If I see a brand new BMW, around scranton, I already have a good idea where that person lives.

So if you got the bucks!! Then by all means CS is a very good place to live! As far as rents go...

2 bedroom in Scranton = 450 to 550 a month.
2 bedroom in CS = 700 to 1100 a month.

Before my mom passed away a few years ago, she was renting in Applewood acres, 2 bedroom town house. Her rent was 950.00 a month!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I agree with John that Clarks Summit is the region's epicenter of affluence, but I'm skeptical that Scranton's property taxes are any higher than they are in the suburbs. Yes, the 3.4% wage tax is burdensome, but by and large through my research I've found that most surrounding communities have higher overall property taxes than your typical Scranton home. My parents pay $4,000 per year on a 3-bedroom, 1-bath home with about 1,600 square feet in the suburbs.
That same home would probably have a tax burden of $2,000-$2,500 per year in the city limits.

My personal favorite neighborhoods in Scranton include Green Ridge (north end of town), Minooka (south end of town), Petersburg (far eastern reaches of the Hill Section), and Hyde Park (central core of West Scranton).

Welcome in advance to NEPA!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I agree with John that Clarks Summit is the region's epicenter of affluence, but I'm skeptical that Scranton's property taxes are any higher than they are in the suburbs. Yes, the 3.4% wage tax is burdensome, but by and large through my research I've found that most surrounding communities have higher overall property taxes than your typical Scranton home. My parents pay $4,000 per year on a 3-bedroom, 1-bath home with about 1,600 square feet in the suburbs.
That same home would probably have a tax burden of $2,000-$2,500 per year in the city limits.

My personal favorite neighborhoods in Scranton include Green Ridge (north end of town), Minooka (south end of town), Petersburg (far eastern reaches of the Hill Section), and Hyde Park (central core of West Scranton).

Welcome in advance to NEPA!
I have to agree with ya there!! "Green Ridge (north end of town)" Very true same here!!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 AM

My husband will be working at the Sam's Club in Scranton. We'd prefer to live in suburban/rural area. We live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi now and have gotten very comfortable with the country life We moved here from Brooklyn, NY 7 years ago. We wouldn't mind a 30 minute commute to keep us in suburbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania