Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM

173 posts, read 582,656 times

Advertisements

We've always had a wood fireplace in our house since we bought it but we have never once used it. We use electric baseboard for our primary heat. At worst the bills in the winter at $300-400 per month, that includes the $150 my electric bill is in the summer.

I'm sure alot can relate, but this year we have to watch what we are spending a bit more then in the past. This brought up the question on whether using the fireplace may save some money. My question is to those that have or have used a fireplace with wood (no blower or anything just your conventional fireplace) how well does it heat? How expensive is the wood? Does it stink up your whole house?

We also have never had the chimney cleaned.. Anyone have any idea on what the going rate of that is in the poconos?

Any input would be great! I have never used, or even been in a house that has used a fireplace before so i am really clueless on it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
I would suggest having a certified Chimney Sweep inspect your chimney, they'll be able to give you basic instruction on how to operate it as well but it's not exactly rocket science.

You can try this place but I don't know if they travel to your area, ask for Dan and tell him the the thecoalman sent you :

Fireplace Gallery

Phone: (570) 298-2150
Fax: (570) 298-0429

2540 S.R. 29 SouthTunkhannock, PA 18657

Quote:
My question is to those that have or have used a fireplace with wood (no blower or anything just your conventional fireplace) how well does it heat?
I'm not an expert on wood but from my understanding wood fireplaces are really ornamental, it will provide some heat but they are not very efficient. You might get 4 hours of fire so be prepared to be messing with it every 4 hours. Wood is not exactly cheap if you're paying market value so unless you have a big stack of seasoned logs sitting there that you cut and split yourself it may not be worth the effort. To make any significant impact on a bill you really need to keep it going 24/7 through the season. I'd suggest by the time its all said an don e if you don't utilize quite a bit you'll break even between the chimney sweep cost of wood etc.

If you want to burn wood you really need a wood burning stove which are designed to capture heat and much more efficient. A place that deals with wood will be able to give you better advice on the fireplace, there may even something avaiable to increase efficinecy etc.

Quote:
How expensive is the wood?
It's going to vary depending on the type, how long its been seasoned etc. There's a fuel comparison calculator here but without knowing the efficiency of a fireplace it really becomes useless.

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=5404

Quote:
Does it stink up your whole house?
A fireplace will certainly stink it up more than a regular wood stove especially when it's first lit because the chimneys need to heat up to get a good draft.

If you really want to use an alternative method for heating I'd suggest looking into coal.

Anthracite & Bituminous Coal Forum

Old 09-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the great information thecoalman!

We dont have the funds to purchase any kind of insert or anything so we figured we would look into the fireplace as a supplement. We may be looking for an insert within the next 2 years before the PPL rates go up. At that time we may go with pellets.... or do they make a coal insert? I'd assume not, i've never heard of one.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Like I said talk to someone that knows about them or wait for someone else to post about fireplaces but truthfully I'm not so sure its worth it.

They make coal inserts but personally I'd be getting a standard stove: Hitzer, Inc. - Wood & Coal Heaters, Gas Logs & Fire Places, Fireplace Inserts (http://www.hitzer.com/model503.html - broken link)

I believe Harman makes one and there might be some others. Note that you can burn wood in a coal stove or insert but not as efficiently as you will in a regular wood stove. You CAN'T burn coal in a wood stove as they are configured differently. The coal stoves can't be labeled dual fuel because of EPA regulations. Harman makes one that apparently does:

Harman Stove Company - Add Beauty and Warmth to Your Home. Pellet Stoves, Wood Stoves, Coal Stoves, Gas Stoves and Fireplaces, Fireplace Inserts

I like a wood fire myself occasionally but unfortunately don't have fireplace which is why I'd personally get the stove instead of an insert. .

Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 AM

103 posts, read 361,516 times
When we built our house we put in a wood burning fireplace. Its beautiful and did heat pretty good but didn't realize it would affect my allergies! Drove me crazy! We ended up going to Woody's Fireplace and had them change it to a gas fireplace. Now the problem with that for me is the pilot light! Turns out if we leave it on it drys out my eyes real bad! The eye dr. caught that right away. So we have to leave the pilot light out until we are going to use the fireplace.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 AM

202 posts, read 568,167 times
Default could someone tell me about

what you need to get to put coal in my fireplace and where to get it and how much it costs. My electricity bill last Jan. was almost $600

Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 AM

$600.. ouch.

Did you try investing in a digital thermostat for the electric baseboard heaters? I have one, while they are expensive ($50+ dollars) i think they really save. You can set them to turn your heat on/off at certain hours... Or have the house at say 60 at 10am and 75 at 2pm. I heat 1300 square feet for at most $400 in the coldest month.

As for the coal inserts refer to the link that thecoalman posted that one company has a coal insert that you can put into your fireplace to convert it to coal.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Its beautiful and did heat pretty good but didn't realize it would affect my allergies!
You would think coal would be an issue with asthma and allergies but from all reports I have read from my forum members it doesn't bother them or actually improves them.

Best Choice for Asthma Sufferer - Coal Stokers: Boilers, Furnaces and Stoves

Our home grown theory is that because the coal is a dry heat and will for example dry a basement out it keeps the mold and other allergens from growing.

Can't speak form experience myself.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
what you need to get to put coal in my fireplace and where to get it and how much it costs. My electricity bill last Jan. was almost $600
Prices vary but it will pay for itself in a few months with bills like that. all gravy next year.

The business I posted above carries Hitzers: www.fireplacegallery.net

Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 AM

103 posts, read 361,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You would think coal would be an issue with asthma and allergies but from all reports I have read from my forum members it doesn't bother them or actually improves them.

Best Choice for Asthma Sufferer - Coal Stokers: Boilers, Furnaces and Stoves

Our home grown theory is that because the coal is a dry heat and will for example dry a basement out it keeps the mold and other allergens from growing.

Can't speak form experience myself.
Might be true because I've had coal heat from the time I was born until the middle or late 70's. And my allergies weren't that bad. What I liked was when we had those standing radiators. Even after we changed to oil. I was able to put a pot of water on them at night and my allergies would be fine. Don't have the radiators now so I bought a humidifier and it doesn't work for me. Seems only the pot did!
My friend lives in Ohio and she still has coal heat. But I think her allergies still bother her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania