Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hunting season: wildlife sanctuary, animal lover, property trespass, natural habitat

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 AM

202 posts, read 568,479 times

Advertisements

the deer at the back of my house. My mom died a few months ago and I was unable to get to the funeral, I got some comfort in watching the deer and wildlife when I was sad over her death.Mom was an avid animal lover and always showed me the joy of wildlife. The man behind me has cleared the trees that they seemed to live by. Since it is hunting season and I hear shooting all round me do you think the hunters will take them down or will they just go after the bucks. I am afraid at this point to even walk my dogs since I hear fire all around me. How long does this go on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,458,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
the deer at the back of my house. My mom died a few months ago and I was unable to get to the funeral, I got some comfort in watching the deer and wildlife when I was sad over her death.Mom was an avid animal lover and always showed me the joy of wildlife. The man behind me has cleared the trees that they seemed to live by. Since it is hunting season and I hear shooting all round me do you think the hunters will take them down or will they just go after the bucks. I am afraid at this point to even walk my dogs since I hear fire all around me. How long does this go on ?
First, I'm very sorry to hear about your mom!! It's good that you "connect" with her through the wildlife!!

When I lived in upstate NY, we owned 14 acres on a mountain of which 9 acres were wooded. Every Fall we'd get the yahoos up from NYC trying to be Joe Hunter & trespassing on our property (which I continually posted since they'd rip my signs down). We actually lived in fear during deer season!!

The driveway was 1/4 mile long & when I'd walk down to get the mail, there's many times bullets would whizz by me!! There were bullet holes in the sides of the barn!! Talk about scary!! It was like being in a war zone!!

If you go out, make sure to wear bright colored clothing & make noise!! Most hunters are very careful & respectful of people's property, but there's always the jacka$$ among them!! Better safe than sorry!!

I feel your pain!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,586,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
First, I'm very sorry to hear about your mom!! It's good that you "connect" with her through the wildlife!!

When I lived in upstate NY, we owned 14 acres on a mountain of which 9 acres were wooded. Every Fall we'd get the yahoos up from NYC trying to be Joe Hunter & trespassing on our property (which I continually posted since they'd rip my signs down). We actually lived in fear during deer season!!

The driveway was 1/4 mile long & when I'd walk down to get the mail, there's many times bullets would whizz by me!! There were bullet holes in the sides of the barn!! Talk about scary!! It was like being in a war zone!!

If you go out, make sure to wear bright colored clothing & make noise!! Most hunters are very careful & respectful of people's property, but there's always the jacka$$ among them!! Better safe than sorry!!

I feel your pain!!
We have several wooded acres, and I almost had heart failure this morning as I went to walk to the end of my driveway and heard several shots ring out in my vicinity. My husband posted all of the posted signs along the perimeter of our property this weekend, but hunters are STILL spotlighting in our yard . The other night, we went out and fired off a couple rounds as a "warning" signal that there is NO hunting on our property (and to scare off any deer that might have been in the line of fire ). I am obviously anti-hunting, but I really don't have a problem with it as long as it's NOT on MY property....and we're prepared to defend our property should anyone make the bad decision to trespass on it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
We have several wooded acres, and I almost had heart failure this morning as I went to walk to the end of my driveway and heard several shots ring out in my vicinity. My husband posted all of the posted signs along the perimeter of our property this weekend, but hunters are STILL spotlighting in our yard . The other night, we went out and fired off a couple rounds as a "warning" signal that there is NO hunting on our property (and to scare off any deer that might have been in the line of fire ). I am obviously anti-hunting, but I really don't have a problem with it as long as it's NOT on MY property....and we're prepared to defend our property should anyone make the bad decision to trespass on it.
There's an author named Helen Hoover (whose books I treasure) that wrote about her & her husband's life when they moved to a cabin in the northwoods.

She wrote in 1 book that once, a hunter was lurking under a tree within plain sight of their cabin after a wet snowfall where the snow was clumped on the tree branches. Her husband walked out the back door with his pistol & fired a shot at the top of the big tree the hunter was lurking under.

Well, the bullet dislodged some of the snow, which then fell & dislodged more snow on a lower branch & so on. The hunter got pummelled with a ton of snow & ran away running!!

I always LOVE that part!!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,586,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
There's an author named Helen Hoover (whose books I treasure) that wrote about her & her husband's life when they moved to a cabin in the northwoods.

She wrote in 1 book that once, a hunter was lurking under a tree within plain sight of their cabin after a wet snowfall where the snow was clumped on the tree branches. Her husband walked out the back door with his pistol & fired a shot at the top of the big tree the hunter was lurking under.

Well, the bullet dislodged some of the snow, which then fell & dislodged more snow on a lower branch & so on. The hunter got pummelled with a ton of snow & ran away running!!

I always LOVE that part!!
Haha, that's great!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM

620 posts, read 2,057,514 times
That's a good story JG. It is really nuts to hear all these stories about hunters trespassing on other's property. In my experience hunters have always been very respectful of my property. My neighbor asked me if he could walk my woods...I don't know why since he has 600 acres and I have 7, but I told him he could...I've never had any problems with trespassers, although I do hear tons of shots. I heard one just as I am writing this.

In other wild life related news, my parents spotted a bear behind their home in the very suburban area of Jenkins Twp called Highland Hills. I grew up there and never saw anything of the sort, and have to imagine it's related to the large amount of sprawl in the area which has destroyed almost the entire wooded area of the township, which used to be a considerable size.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
That's a good story JG. It is really nuts to hear all these stories about hunters trespassing on other's property. In my experience hunters have always been very respectful of my property. My neighbor asked me if he could walk my woods...I don't know why since he has 600 acres and I have 7, but I told him he could...I've never had any problems with trespassers, although I do hear tons of shots. I heard one just as I am writing this.

In other wild life related news, my parents spotted a bear behind their home in the very suburban area of Jenkins Twp called Highland Hills. I grew up there and never saw anything of the sort, and have to imagine it's related to the large amount of sprawl in the area which has destroyed almost the entire wooded area of the township, which used to be a considerable size.
That's what was happening where I was in upstate NY!! The construction around us was getting closer & closer, so the natural habitat was being diminished & we became a wildlife sanctuary as the animals were forced inwards!!

I never saw a bear, but we had every other type of wildlife from lynx to coyotes!! We sold the parcel as one unit so that it would remain a sanctuary in the midst of the sprawl!!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,135,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post

i grew up in the area many,many years ago and there were always bears there--the poor animals continue to lose their only shelters----the bears never bothered us as kids even when we came upon them by accident

Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,010,782 times
I really hate the sprawl - the strip malls that end up with five stores, that eventually go out of business and now you have this ugly empty commercial building, spoiling the landscape.

I hate to see new house after new house built, because someone wants something "NEW" rather than just work with an existing home....sigh.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:58 PM

202 posts, read 568,479 times
Default thanks for the kind words

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania