Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:29 AM

193 posts, read 542,656 times

Advertisements

Scanbarre I truly hope you continue posting. I am also young compared to some on this forum and i don't post as much as most do but i truly believe the point of this forum is to see different sides of everything. There are many people here that i don't agree with there opinions but doesn't mean they should not have an opinion.

Like my grandma used to say God created many different colors, So we can aprediate the many differences in life.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
my feelings are that what religion, and sexual preference you have are your own personal beliefs and as such at least to me are things that should not be flaunted,proclaimed or generally made public to strangers ... theres no reason people need to know my religion and i refrain from wearing any religious jewelry . its my own personal belief my religion and not something needed to be displayed to others..

i have nothing against anyone whos gay , but i do believe what you are is personal and not for public bantering or flaunting. thats true of straight gay bi etc...... one of the guys at work has the rainbow colors on his checks. my question is why? i wouldnt think of displaying my sexuality on my checks being im heterosexual..... what good does it serve

the point is this ...people generally wont like you anymore than they already do just because you pronounce publicly your gay or anymore because of your religion, but ill tell you this, THERE ARE HOLE BUNCH OF INTOLERANT PEOPLE WHO WILL LIKE YOU A WHOLE LOT LESS.

so personal things are best kept personal. by the same token ive done many financial articles where my financial life is open to anyone reading the article because i dont consider that anything i dont want people interested in the article to know...
just food for thought

Old 11-27-2008, 04:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default Excellent info.......

I am with you on this. I do not "advertise" everything about myself. I have in the past and all I got was grief (for years) from a few angry people who always remained anonymous. Unfortunately the owner/moderator of the forum never reprimanded or banned the "ringleader!"

Paul, you are very open and outgoing and that is to be commended. But- you have to pay a price for that! Thicken your skin, or simply ease up on "the gas pedal!" Keep posting, but take it nice and eeeeeeeeasy!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I need to work on #6. As I said in another thread due to having to work so much on weekends I haven't been able to attend Sunday worship services in many, many months. I hope to re-connect with faith as soon as I get a "real" job where I don't have to work every Sunday morning. If it were up to me retail establishments wouldn't open until noon on Sundays so that retail employees could attend worship services, but I know that's treading the fine line of becoming a theocracy of sorts. Where do you go to church, if you don't mind my asking? I'm thinking about joining a Protestant or non-denominational congregation in the Scranton area.
Paul, I was born a Roman Catholic but recently joined a Methodist church in Sterling that I have attended for a few years now. I really do get more out of going there than I ever did going to Catholic church. I have more faith than ever and really have learned more about God and his teachings by going to this church.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Some people do not need the corporate worship but some people do -- that's a fact. I was not trying to tell ScranBarre he had to go to church, he was expressing his dissatisfaction with not being able to attend - which tells me that it's important to him.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Where was I when this all started???
I object!!!
Paul has helped countless people here on this forum with his information. Not EVERY thread ends up in a squabble...just a mere few. No more than my own squabbles!
Paul...please stick around....the place wouldn't be the same without you!!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
I am with you on this. I do not "advertise" everything about myself. I have in the past and all I got was grief (for years) from a few angry people who always remained anonymous. Unfortunately the owner/moderator of the forum never reprimanded or banned the "ringleader!"

Paul, you are very open and outgoing and that is to be commended. But- you have to pay a price for that! Thicken your skin, or simply ease up on "the gas pedal!" Keep posting, but take it nice and eeeeeeeeasy!

rember there is absolutely no good that can come from proclaiming certain things although it may make you feel better, truth is at best no one else cares ,which is the best possible outcome or just a whole lot of bad will come from it which is the more likely outcome depending where you live,work or are proclaiming. its loose loose all the way...

Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 AM

when we first moved to nepa we realized there is barely anyone of our faith and since i have never really been religous or even interested in religion i didnt see it as an issue... maybe we would celebrate a few holidays for the holidays sake but basically i figured it would be a non issue.

to some extent i was right but the funny thing was it turned out that it wasnt what we did that peaked peoples attention but rather what we didnt do.... we didnt wear religious jewelry, we didnt decorate our house for certain holidays, we didnt go to a very popular church in the area, etc....

sometimes its not so mutch what you do, but more what you dont do

Old 11-28-2008, 06:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default I experienced this just yesterday. (what I don't do)

My girlfirend and I visited my family yesterday. My Mother told me dinner would be at 1 P.M. I did my usual "fashionably-late" entrance. Of course I did it for good reasons. Personally I don't like tardiness (which came from being a supervisor). My sister-in-law seems to be in charge of the kitchen on Holidays at my Mother's house. When we arrived, dinner was over and seats were available at the table. Otherwise one must eat somewhere else in the house. My s-i-l started being very busy, while we sat with my Mother in the kitchen. She began re-heating items that she brought. I politely mentioned to her that we didn't use that or need this. Some dishes were "explained" to us. We learned of the various ingredients that were in certain things. All good stuff! Everyone enjoyed everything.

Now- my Mother remembers that we are vegeterian. My s-i-l forgets each and every holiday. She puts something meaty or gelatinous in everything, including desserts. Otherwise it is not really eating. (joke...waiting for laugh-response!) So- apron comes off. She disappears into the living room and we are now able to help ourselves to the things my Mother prepared!

I never planned to be this kind of eater. Mom knows best! When I was four years old, my new eating habits were revealed. I wasn't caught in the act. It was a hot summer day and my Mom noticed a horrible odor. She open the screen to the kitchen window and noticed a festering pile on the roof just below!. We lived in a second floor apartment at that time. I jokingly tell others how I was force-fed until I escaped to art school.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:12 AM

i actually survived being a vegan for 2 years but then i fell off the wagon...

i think i realized man didnt claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat brocolli lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania