Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times

Advertisements

Doherty can give raises to these do nothings, but still no raises for our public servants, the police and fire departments. Doherty is a disgrace and will go down as the worst mayor in history. No one can say otherwise. Name one good thing Doherty has done for this city, except pile up the debt.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Doherty is a disgrace and will go down as the worst mayor in history. No one can say otherwise. Name one good thing Doherty has done for this city, except pile up the debt.
While I'm not a fan of your city's incumbent mayor, have you done enough research to determine that he was the "worst mayor" in your city's history? What did Jimmy Connors do that Mayor Doherty didn't? What about Dave Wenzel? Jim McNulty? If I remember correctly the Scranton of the 1980s and 1990s looked much worse than it does today.

One good thing he's done for the city? He's improved its external image. Scranton used to be a place that suburbanites and tourists would thumb their noses at. Now there are reasons to visit the city, even if the city's own residents don't appreciate them.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,990,056 times
Scran is right, he is not the best mayor and his financial record is bad but he is not the worst mayor of all time. The reason some hate him is he does not pander to anyone who will not benefit him in the furure. Let's be clear here....no politicians pander to poor, or even low income individuals but many pols pander to unions for their support. He wants to dissesemble the unions because in reality Doherty is a Republican. Republicans and Unions do not mix.....SO, we have Police and Fire holding string and the admin holding the kite.....the Clerical union gets what they can. The vast majority of true ANTI Doherty folks are tied in someway to UNion or municipal jobs that he can cut or hold back on raises. Folks like Dan don't like him because they blatently ignore him because he offers nothign in return.....Look at Kanjorski and that clown Shimkus going to Barb M for a meeting on Levee protection for Lower GR instead of the Pres of that neighborhood assoc.

NYRangers, there has got to be some personal angst twords the man for you to hate hm so much. Did he fire you or somethign? Don't tell me you hate him just because some of your frineds do...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Don't tell me you hate him just because some of your frineds do...
With all due respect while I think Ed is a great guy, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Ed greatly admires Dan. Dan could say "Hey Ed, we're going to North Washington Avenue at 7 PM to let our dogs urinate on Doherty's front lawn while singing "Another One Bites the Dust," wanna come?" and Ed would probably say "Sure. I hate that guy." Mayor Doherty a closet Republican? I never really thought about that before, but now that you mention it it does make sense since he's trying his hardest to break down the union mentality in the city. He's a fiscal liberal though---I don't know many Republicans like that.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ed greatly admires Dan. Dan could say "Hey Ed, we're going to North Washington Avenue at 7 PM to let our dogs urinate on Doherty's front lawn
And you cant come up with a reason why these topic's get out of hand??
I don't think I seen 1 comment from Dan, on this topic. So why even start??

Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
I don't think I seen 1 comment from Dan, on this topic.
Patience, grasshopper. Or were you being facetious and not referring to this particular thread? In any event, I stand by my "give it a minute" advice.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
With all due respect while I think Ed is a great guy, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Ed greatly admires Dan. Dan could say "Hey Ed, we're going to North Washington Avenue at 7 PM to let our dogs urinate on Doherty's front lawn while singing "Another One Bites the Dust," wanna come?" and Ed would probably say "Sure. I hate that guy." Mayor Doherty a closet Republican? I never really thought about that before, but now that you mention it it does make sense since he's trying his hardest to break down the union mentality in the city. He's a fiscal liberal though---I don't know many Republicans like that.
Paul, I don't think that's entirely fair. I wouldn't follow Dan blindly into everything he does. I agree with a lot of his views and opinions on the city and other things, but I do have my own mind. Like John said, Dan didn't even comment in this thread and his name is brought up. I made that comment and others with no help from Dan.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Scran is right, he is not the best mayor and his financial record is bad but he is not the worst mayor of all time. The reason some hate him is he does not pander to anyone who will not benefit him in the furure. Let's be clear here....no politicians pander to poor, or even low income individuals but many pols pander to unions for their support. He wants to dissesemble the unions because in reality Doherty is a Republican. Republicans and Unions do not mix.....SO, we have Police and Fire holding string and the admin holding the kite.....the Clerical union gets what they can. The vast majority of true ANTI Doherty folks are tied in someway to UNion or municipal jobs that he can cut or hold back on raises. Folks like Dan don't like him because they blatently ignore him because he offers nothign in return.....Look at Kanjorski and that clown Shimkus going to Barb M for a meeting on Levee protection for Lower GR instead of the Pres of that neighborhood assoc.

NYRangers, there has got to be some personal angst twords the man for you to hate hm so much. Did he fire you or somethign? Don't tell me you hate him just because some of your frineds do...
A lot of my friends who have lived in Scranton their whole life, don't like him either. I never said I hate the man, I don't hate. I dislike the way he has run this city into the ground and it seems he doesn't give a damn about the average working person in Scranton. I have nothing personal against him, never met the man. Don't know his personal record, but his professional record is a disaster.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Patience, grasshopper. Or were you being facetious and not referring to this particular thread? In any event, I stand by my "give it a minute" advice.
Just making a point my friend!!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Sure the downtown looks better.........There are more empty store fronts in the downtown then I have seen in years....Drive around and look at the for lease or for rent signs on the second floors...There is at least 60,000sq ft alone in the Oppenheim building...

Its a facade and always has been...Where is Merrill Lynch? The SU building is STILL EMPTY....

Two things come to mind here....

This item looked grand all the way to the very end.....But sink it did.

And well lets call it like it is ok, for once....Doherty has done nothing to really improve the economic situation in the downtown all he has done is .........

http://www.collegerecruiter.com/mt-static/plugins/ImageUp/uploaded/335322720746289June6_2005MMM.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania