Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of Christmas tree do you prefer?
A real tree 23 53.49%
An artificial tree 16 37.21%
It doesn't matter to me 3 6.98%
No trees 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:52 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times

Advertisements

we get a real tree every year...

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas1/10.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:49 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Nothing beats a real tree!! I don't how easy it is to maintain, how cheap it is compared to a real, or the lack of having to lug it home!! Nothing brings back the good memories of Christmas past like a real tree does and that's what Christmas is all about. Remembering family and friends over the years, those still here and those departed, giving thanks and being happy for what we have or have accomplished over the years, and for one time out of the year...being a kid again!! Nothing can replace that and only a real tree can bring that good feeling inside back again.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Ok, this is one of the bulbs on Our tree..........
Someone gave me this.......
Wonder Why?
Looks like Summering and hubby, draggin' home the tree...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Default What your type of tree says about you....

1) Real tree: A grown-in-the-ground tree not only has roots but is deeply rooted in ancient Christmas tradition. If your family takes the time each year to find their own fresh fir, that probably means that you have tremendous personality ties to old-fashioned traditions as well. Often, people with real trees like to go 'by the book' and are authentic. It also suggests that you are a diligent and reliable individual and you find joy in the simple things in life.

2) Artificial tree: An artificial tree is frequently favored by the frugal, because after a year or two of use- the artificial tree would have paid for itself. If you're one of the millions of Americans who decorate fake branches year after year, you might be someone who values convenience too-- once an artificial tree is completely set up there's no extra maintenance required to keep it pretty.

3) Permanent Light tree: Even more frugal & efficient than an artificial tree is one covered with permanently placed lights. If you have a pre-lit tree then you probably are a perfectionist and know how to prioritize well, valuing your time & knowing when to cut corners in order to enjoy yourself and the holidays as much as possible; inarguably the worst task when it comes to tree trimming has to be hanging the lights, and eliminating this chore is sure to make spirits bright!

4) Heavily Decorated tree: Sentimental people love to cover their tree with all kinds of ornaments and goodies, with every glance comes a new ornament discovery and often unexpectant insight into the family life. If your tree is covered in trinkets and tschotschkes, you are probably an open individual who is comfortable with expressing and sharing yourself. Chances are your considered child-like and playful when it comes to Christmas.

5) Pseudo-Xmas tree: If you choose to display a decorated palm tree or topiary instead of the traditionally triangular Christmas tree, you're certain to be the jovial, humorous type who is perhaps a bit impish and prone to practical jokes. Because you know that everyone who visits will have comments (both critical and complimentary) you might be attention oriented year-round as well.

6) Upside-Down tree: If you put up an upside-down tree, you're always full of surprises and your unexpected ways often lend to mixed messages being sent out about your personality. Chances are you're actually pretty traditional at heart but you love turning the expectations of others onto their heads (no pun intended). You might be the gluttonous sort- many families choose upside down trees because they can fit more presents underneath.

7) Half-Size tree: You are determined to make your childhood Christmas memories come to life again, whether you actually have the space to do so or not. You are a creative problem-solver and also someone who satisfies their desires no matter what, your main tools being thoughtfulness and elbow grease. You are probably the innovative type if you're seeking out a half tree, as many families aren't even aware of this type of tree.

8) Fake Snow-Covered tree: Idealist love snow-covered Christmas trees because they are artificial representations of a traditionally ideal "White Christmas". Imaginative types enjoy this type of tree as well because although the blanket of plastic white flakes would never be mistaken for real snow, it allows one to stare and dream of the delightful real thing.

9) Aluminum or "Other-Type" tree: Artists and the creative types just love to express themselves, especially with color and the unexpected twists in ordinary things. What better way to make a huge statement than with an off-color Christmas tree? Other people that take pleasure in an unusually hued holiday tree include those visual perfectionists that are extremely obsessed with keeping their home color scheme unmarred, even if it's just for the holiday season.

10) Table-Top tree: Just because your main tree is a table-top tree doesn't mean your Christmas spirit is in miniature too. You may be taxed for space, but some table-top types might just feel less is more and may be most interested in the emotional joy of the season without having much of a need for a prominent physical representation.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post

Ok, this is one of the bulbs on Our tree..........
Someone gave me this.......
Wonder Why?
Looks like Summering and hubby, draggin' home the tree...

Love the pic, Summering!!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Only real trees for us....unfortunately, we're not getting one this year because with 6 cats, it would surely be a DISASTER. We will have one next year, when we have more time to plan out typing it to the ceiling/walls...lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Only real trees for us....unfortunately, we're not getting one this year because with 6 cats, it would surely be a DISASTER. We will have one next year, when we have more time to plan out typing it to the ceiling/walls...lol.

noooooo you have to get a tree!! Put lots of things on it too!! I remember when I first got my cat. I didnt think nothing about the tree. In till I seen things moving all over it! Cats love palying in the trees and wacking things off and watching them hit the floor and SMASH!!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
real tree for us.

my fiance never had a real tree. last year we lived in this absurdly large rental house and we set up our apartment sized artificial tree. This house had a vaulted family room, the ceiling was about 18 foot tall at the peak, and the room was about 25'x15'. our little tree looked silly in there. so we ran to the store and got a real tree. (not many tree farms in the desert, ours come from farms in the pac. north west). she was very pleased with the tree, and vowed to never put up an artificial again.

the "environmental" standpoint of not having a real tree is goofy to me. I'm not thrilled with people going into the forest and hacking down a wild tree. but if someone wants a live christmas tree, that was grown on a christmas tree farm for the purpose of one day being cut down and used as a holiday decoration thats fine. its like any other farmed produce, grown for consumption. to me a tree from a tree farm is no different than a steak, head of lettuce, pumpkin, corn or broccoli.

now if someone doesn't want to drag in a flammable piece of kindling, wrap it in electricity and put paper wrapped boxes under it i can understand that

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
noooooo you have to get a tree!! Put lots of things on it too!! I remember when I first got my cat. I didnt think nothing about the tree. In till I seen things moving all over it! Cats love palying in the trees and wacking things off and watching them hit the floor and SMASH!!

i think thats one of my favorite parts of the tree!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We get a real tree only once every few years. We've been using an artificial tree now for the past several years, and it suits us just fine. We don't usually entertain much for the Holidays, so it's not really like anyone comments on our tree anyways. Here is a photo of last year's artificial tree.

After having to deal with all of the haggling and hee-hawing at work from people who want practically 95% off of our display trees I honestly wish Christmas was over already!
Awesome tree!!!!! The cross towards the middle makes the tree for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania