Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Our Metropolitan Area is...
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 19 65.52%
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,245 times

Advertisements

I work for Turkey Hill Minit Markets, there are several stores in that area. they call that area Scranton / Wilkes-Barre all the time, and thats pretty much it. swb for short in emails. Scranton is the larger metro area and more people identify with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
The airport is called Avoca International..... the code is AVP.
If you want to be even more technical, the airport isn't even in Avoca; it's in my hometown of Pittston Township and barely even touches the Avoca border. A portion of one runway juts into Moosic, and the portion of another juts into Dupont. I agree with ConorsDad though---we need to start regionalizing ourselves to propel ourselves into future prosperity. The Chambers of Commerce in Scranton, Pittston, and Wilkes-Barre all need to start working cohesively to make a difference.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton is classified as an International airport because it has a US Customs facility on site.....having scheduled international flights has nothing to do with it.......odd as that might seem.....

A little known fact about Lackawanna County is that it was carved from the original (and large!) Luzerne County........

Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
Default Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport in Avoca

What we are missing here is the big picture! The real question that needs to be answered?

WHY IS SO EXPENSIVE TO FLY OUT OF THE (Whatever name you want to call it airport in Avoca) SO WE ALL DRIVE TO NEW YORK OR PHILLY?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by userid2009 View Post
What we are missing here is the big picture! The real question that needs to be answered?

WHY IS SO EXPENSIVE TO FLY OUT OF THE (Whatever name you want to call it airport in Avoca) SO WE ALL DRIVE TO NEW YORK OR PHILLY?
That's a good question. Nobody I know ever flies out of this airport, even though I live five minutes from it.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
I think it depends on the person. I like Wilkes-Barre/Scranton because I live in W-B. Who brought this topic back anyway. It's nearly two years old?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Woo, old thread re-birth. W-B/S just makes no sense...

I flew out of AVP once 2 years ago, to go to SF via Cleveland. That is one awful airport. The people working there were utter idiots-- it took an hour for them to check everyone in for my 12-seat puddle-jumper. The Continental employees were checking people in front of the Delta sign and vice versa, causing mass confusion and delayed departures. It's up there with JFK and Charles De Gaulle for bad airport experiences in my book.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I think it depends on the person. I like Wilkes-Barre/Scranton because I live in W-B. Who brought this topic back anyway. It's nearly two years old?
Yeah, I saw cobwebs and dust flying out of my screen because the thread is so old.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That's a good question. Nobody I know ever flies out of this airport, even though I live five minutes from it.
My husband flies out of it nearly every week, but has to take like 2 or 3 connecting flights to get wherever it is he's ulimately going

Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,878 times
I have always understood Scranton to be the principle city, and for good reason; however, I have always said Wilkes Barre/Scranton because it sounds better to me. Also, that is what it was refered to when I lived in the somewhat distant cousin area of Schuylkill County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania