Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times

Advertisements

Jungle George........I thought we might celebrate your upcoming trip to NEPA. After all, your a Florida guy who just loves to spend your hours making us laugh here in the NEPA threads.
WE love to laugh........Mostly I think everyone would like to know what your plans are in NEPA? Can we help in any way with any other ideas for ya ?
I think you know of most of the restaurants in the area that are good.
Do we need to make a list? Will you be doing any local shopping...?
Do you know where the Petco is for the little pup ( Chia?)
We just want you to have a great time....Its a MUST
Remember to put a blanket in the car, some snacks, water...just in case of an ice storm that blocks you in. Don't worry in PA they rescue you and take you off ( sometimes ) to a church....( Oh the Mom in me is showin' up)
Do you need our cell numbers in case of an emergency?
Whatever your needs are to make for an enjoyable trip.....We're here for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,507 times
I concur! Whatever you need George, please let us know! When will you be arriving in the area?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Jungle George........I thought we might celebrate your upcoming trip to NEPA. After all, your a Florida guy who just loves to spend your hours making us laugh here in the NEPA threads.
WE love to laugh........Mostly I think everyone would like to know what your plans are in NEPA? Can we help in any way with any other ideas for ya ?
I think you know of most of the restaurants in the area that are good.
Do we need to make a list? Will you be doing any local shopping...?
Do you know where the Petco is for the little pup ( Chia?)
We just want you to have a great time....Its a MUST
Remember to put a blanket in the car, some snacks, water...just in case of an ice storm that blocks you in. Don't worry in PA they rescue you and take you off ( sometimes ) to a church....( Oh the Mom in me is showin' up)
Do you need our cell numbers in case of an emergency?
Whatever your needs are to make for an enjoyable trip.....We're here for you!
OMG!!! Mrs. Summering, you're TOO MUCH!!! Thank you!!!

Well, we're leaving Florida next Thursday around 2AM & driving to Richmond & then staying overnight.

Friday AM we're driving to the New Hope area to stay 3/2 in a 1600's stone cottage on a pig sanctuary. The rest of Friday we'll be stretching from our drive & sitting CLOSE to the fire in the fireplace!!

Saturday we're slumming around New Hope & see what else is in the area, & then Saturday night our friend Annie's having her Xmas concert (we're on the hoity-toity guest list). Sellersville Theater 1894 (http://www.st94.com/Calendar/index.html - broken link)

Sunday AM we're spending with Annie & then in the afternoon heading up to Wilkes-Barre for 3/2. Sunday evening is looking for a cemetary wreath & maybe checking out downtown WB.

Monday is going to see my grandparent's old house & graves, seeing my aunt (the last one, who I haven't seen in 40 years) & searching out pierogi to take home plus poppy & nut rolls to have for Xmas & to bring home...

Tuesday we leave NEPA & head cross 84 to Poughkeepsie to spend a week with friends. We've got plans to see a whole slew of people, go to the Brotherhood Winery, maybe me go hiking for a day (if I'm not frozen yet) & maybe go down to Manhattan (Bill can't walk far with his back, so it's a maybe).

The following Tuesday head down to Long Island to spend New Year's with friends there & then the long trek home!! (DAMM!! I'm tired just typing all that let alone doing it!!)

That's it in a nutshell...

I'm not that worried about snow...I've driven for 30 years in it & I'm sure I haven't forgotten how... The only "unsure" things about our time in NEPA is where to eat...there's been so many threads & good & bad recommendations I have to look through them again. Being a vegetarian, I know I want to eat at the Vegan place in Scranton, but with all the hoopla over Scranton being so dangerous, we may just end up at a Burger King for a veggieburger...

If I think of any questions, I'll be sure to ask before we leave!!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM

I just know it............your coming up here to help Santa deliver. Yep, you'll be just in time!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I just know it............your coming up here to help Santa deliver. Yep, you'll be just in time!
Yeah, the car's gonna be full 'o' Xmas gifts (AND by the time we leave NEPA, FOOD!!)

I need to pack on a few pounds if I'm gonna be a Santa's helper!!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Whew, all the way to Richmond. I'd have the pet friendly hotel book beside ya' thats quite a trip.
Thinking I stop half way to Myrtle Beach.....( Oh, thats looser material....I am )
Red Roof, Howard Johnsons, and Quality Inn are great stops with pets......

Good Gosh, what is a pig sanctuary? .....

You will LOVE and ADORE New Hope.......take that one road about 1/2 mile up to the Peddlers Village.
It is so wonderful at Christmas time.....Sally jessy Raphael had a B&B there in the town of New Hope.
I think her daughter owned. Right on the main street.

Oh such fun with Annie........I am going to click on that site again. That will be great.
The winery's in NY State are awesome.........that would be real fun.

All's Bill needs is my hubby dragging him along, like he was with me in the pouring rain. I had no time to complain about the bummer knee I fell on last year ( yes, just after the two month pneumonia...good golly) Just keep on a movin' and believe me in the city one follows.......( as you must know)

Scranton dangerous? Oh yikes, I have never felt in danger in Scranton. Nope........then again I wasn't in the city all that late, late. We did use that bus stop quite often to get up to Binghamton without the whole lot of us going. We'd eat at Whistles.........which in the dinner time hours is fine. Maybe it hops at night.......I'd have a great chicken salad there. Veggies..........ah........they most likely have a bunch of them too. Cute, TV's cozy.......

Oh your reminding me I have to go to visit the NJ cemetaries to......I'm late for that.......unlike me!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I concur! Whatever you need George, please let us know! When will you be arriving in the area?
Enya, how is the strep doin' ..........you should be back in bed.
Bundle up, the cold is going to settle in this Eve....

Old 12-10-2008, 06:52 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,448 times
Default Scranton dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

Sunday AM we're spending with Annie & then in the afternoon heading up to Wilkes-Barre for 3/2. Sunday evening is looking for a cemetary wreath & maybe checking out downtown WB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

Scranton being so dangerous, we may just end up at a Burger King for a veggieburger...
George, Scranton, is by far less dangerous then W-B. All most every other day I see on the news, WNEP 16, yet another shooting in W-B. Infact there was just one there last week... I would keep your doors locked when in that town!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Whew, all the way to Richmond. I'd have the pet friendly hotel book beside ya' thats quite a trip.
Thinking I stop half way to Myrtle Beach.....( Oh, thats looser material....I am )
Red Roof, Howard Johnsons, and Quality Inn are great stops with pets......
We're booked at a Red Roof (as well as The Woodlands) already!! (thanks to your recommendations...)

Quote:
Good Gosh, what is a pig sanctuary? .....
Historical Bed and Breakfast - RossMillFarm.com (http://www.rossmillfarm.com/bandb.htm - broken link)

Quote:
All's Bill needs is my hubby dragging him along, like he was with me in the pouring rain. I had no time to complain about the bummer knee I fell on last year ( yes, just after the two month pneumonia...good golly) Just keep on a movin' and believe me in the city one follows.......( as you must know)
Bill's got a degenerative bone disease where his body "eats" it's own calcium, so basically, his bones are slowly crumbling....

He's had 8 back surgeries so far & I'm sure as time goes on, more to come...

Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
George, Scranton, is by far less dangerous then W-B. All most every other day I see on the news, WNEP 16, yet another shooting in W-B. Infact there was just one there last week... I would keep your doors locked when in that town!
Well, I guess either Scranton OR Wilkes-Barre could be dangerous to someone who's never been there & doesn't know where they're going if they end up in the wrong neighborhood!!

I figure, I'm a friendly guy (whereas Bill's 6'2", heavily tattooed & a "stereotypical" brash New Yawkuh who isn't afraid to use a weapon if necessary...) & I don't expect any trouble. It's just that from reading posts on here, I'm just a bit more wary....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania