Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM

164 posts, read 385,029 times

Advertisements

I think that your home made gifts sound wonderful ... I especially like the idea of a quillow ... very interesting idea.

I made afghans for everyone a couple of years ago and they loved them ... home made gifts are giving of yourself ... it takes so much time and thought ... what are someone's favorite colors ... do they need a small lap blanket or do they require a lager one ... what a thoughtful person you must be.

I also like the personalized calendar idea ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
I'm always looking for ideas for useful things I can give people that they will appreciate or use that don't cost a lot. I appreciate homemade gifts too, but much of my family, especially my younger half siblings and cousins are too technology orientated to appreciate this stuff.

I saw the quillows in a shop near Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse, PA. I start my quilt making class in January if all goes well, otherwise I'll start that in the spring. It's a course that teaches you all the basics by taking you step by step through the process and at the end of it, you have a finished quilt.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
in Intercourse
Tee-hee!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Tee-hee!
I know, I love telling people I went to places like Blue Ball, Paradise and Intercourse. My b/f bought a shirt with all the town names on it. I got a magnet for my fridge that says "I <3 Intercourse" in big letters and there's a little 'PA' under it. According to some friends we met there, they say that it's a form of local entertainment to watch people taking their picture in front of the Welcome to Intercourse sign. Some pictures aren't PG they said!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I managed to buy every single christmas present online this year....I didn't have to deal with any traffic or lines......All the gifts were dropped on my porch and then brought inside and wrapped.....Done with the click of a mouse and couldn't be any happier for it.
That's the best way to do it Dan. You don't have to deal with maniacs at the stores and malls.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
We'll be putting money into NEPA's registers for 2 days at least!!

from 1-8 to 1-13 for me!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM

90 posts, read 248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
...I headed downtown in the Diamond City to sell my textbooks back at Barnes & Noble for about $200 (a pity considering I originally spent $900 on them, but I digress) ...
I know you're trying to support local merchants, but B&N is hardly local... and here's a little trick I learned for buying/selling textbooks... half.com

You can buy them used or new, and if you sell them back as soon as your class is over, you can usually get 80-95% of the money you spent on them back.= from someone else who needs them for next semester. I've been doing this with my wife's adult education classes at Misericordia... just wish they had this around when I was going to Da U back in the 90's.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how much people love home made presents from me, but I think they've come to terms with it! One year I did framed paintings with sayings in caligraphy for everyone, another I did pans of eggplant parm using locally grown eggplant that was soooooooooooooooo good that year. Just froze them to give out at the holidays. This year I made calendars and scanned lots of old pictures into collages for each month. Next year I'm hoping everyone will get something knitted - probably a scarf and maybe a quilted pillow for the bed or, if I get good - maybe a quillow (a pillow whose 'stuffing' unfolds to a lap blanket) for the couch.

I think homemade gifts are great. I wish I got more of them every year. I tried to convince my immediate family that we should do only homemade gifts this year, but it didn't fly. I love to knit things for people. Last year I made my nieces an enormous blanket that I knew they would like to use to build a tent with in their bedrooms, or just use on the couch to curl up with.

My aunt made me a quillow one year. It is amazing. So amazing that my dog fell in love with it and slowly turned into his dog bed. I am looking at it right now thinking I should probably reclaim it with a good washing.

Although I love home made gifts, I don't find that they are a cheap way out at all. Knitting stuff is almost always just as expensive, if not more, than purchasing already knit items. Quilting I am not sure about, but I'd guess it is also not a cheap hobby.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Although I love home made gifts, I don't find that they are a cheap way out at all. Knitting stuff is almost always just as expensive, if not more, than purchasing already knit items. Quilting I am not sure about, but I'd guess it is also not a cheap hobby.
No, it's not the cheap way out, BUT since you have to plan ahead, most of the expense is throughout the year rather than in a month or so before the holiday. So it seems cheaper.

Instead of reclaiming the quillow, why not make one?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how much people love home made presents from me, but I think they've come to terms with it! One year I did framed paintings with sayings in caligraphy for everyone, another I did pans of eggplant parm using locally grown eggplant that was soooooooooooooooo good that year. Just froze them to give out at the holidays. This year I made calendars and scanned lots of old pictures into collages for each month. Next year I'm hoping everyone will get something knitted - probably a scarf and maybe a quilted pillow for the bed or, if I get good - maybe a quillow (a pillow whose 'stuffing' unfolds to a lap blanket) for the couch.

Alleycat....You can be a member of my family ANYDAY!!! Those are all GREAT presents! The quillows are great...and the added bonus with a little pocket for your feet when in the recliner! I have a real easy scarf pattern with bulky wook that I kinda made up myself but makes it go much faster...do you know how to knit yet? I'll explain when you do...and it makes it look lacey kind every few rows. I think I'm going to do waht you're doing next year. Maybe frame some great photos... Do you crochet? A great easy gift is to buy the fleece blankets with different patterns and crochet a matching decorative edge around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania