Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Ok well back to the thread title........."Uniforms in Schools."
I am so glad that Sheena gave it a second thought and spoke to others who didn't mind the uniforms at all. It pays to do some research.........
I think they are a good thing for our areas now. At one time, I would have said no......
Most Moms should be happy also that it is going to be so very easy now to shop for school clothes.
A few choices and thats it. Yahoo......
To me, its getting the down to the ankle pants wearers, to yank em' up........
Proper clothing should never be a bad thing..........
I can't wait to see the PV school kids looking so smashing in their clothes too!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatbarbie View Post
he needs to move to Boson where everyone hugs and is politically correct
And Idaho sounds like a good place for you.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
they main issue that upset most people was my question about school uniforms. It really seemed to hit a nerve. I knew people might want to extol their virtues so I did include a caveat that went unheeded in my fist post. That was like posting a "Do not touch, wet paint" sign ! lol

Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
they main issue that upset most people was my question about school uniforms. It really seemed to hit a nerve. I knew people might want to extol their virtues so I did include a caveat that went unheeded in my fist post. That was like posting a "Do not touch, wet paint" sign ! lol
You DO realize how frequently we all argue here on this forum, right? We're a big happy family of about 100 or so active members, but when it comes to politics all bets are off and the gloves come out. Nobody here truly hates one another. I'm sure weluvpa doesn't "hate" CHS89, I don't "hate" weluvpa or John From Scranton, and I can only hope that none of those three "hate" me either. He have everyone on this board from far-right to far-left, and with the stress of the Holidays, losing loved ones in tragic circumstances, the weather, etc. many of us are just ticking time bombs. You could have asked a question about breast implants made out of lime green Jell-O, and there probably would have been some heated discussion. For me I've just been a wreck emotionally as of late with all of the adversities my family has been enduring, and hearing so many of the small minds around here regularly making insensitive comments about African-Americans (when I've befriended about a half-dozen on campus), gays/lesbians (when there is a LARGE closeted LGBT population locally), Arab-Americans (some of whom can be the nicest people), etc. it is just really IRKSOME to me. I just don't know how long I'll be able to just "grin and bear it" as a badge of working with the public.

Naturally the answer everyone gives is "Don't like it? Move to Boston." What good will this area be if most of our educated youths with skill sets relocate? Who will be caring for many of you in old age? Who will be pumping money into your social security fund? There has to be a better compromise than "Adjust or get out." I hate to say it, but YES, those people ARE "wrong" for the way they think. I know some African-Americans who are shining beacons of the middle-class, I know many LGBT folks (including myself) who are NOT limp-wristed, I know not all Muslims are terrorists or terrorist-sympathizers, etc. There's NO EXCUSE for cultural ignorance due to a lack of an education or a lack of exposure to these other cultures.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-21-2008 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Text Formatting Error

Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Given what Paul is saying, it actually does mean that. And yes, I look down on ignorant opinions such as the one you express. Your opinion is absolutely beneath mine (and Paul's even though he would never say so himself). And let it be known that I feel no so such desire to ingratiate myself with the locals as Paul does when it comes to finding common ground with just plain ugly feelings.
This coming from ANOTHER COLLEGE STUDENT...Pass the bar yet? Get that JD yet? Please I'm the most accepting individual that there is when it comes to the gay issue...I could care less what your sexual orientation is......I certainly would never hold that against anyone.....

The problem is that Paul seems to think that if someone doesn't agree with his being gay or gays for that matter that they should move or at least in his mind are socially ignorant.....

I don't care if someone is gay or not...BUT just because someone is gay doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to accept it.....People have the right to make their own judgements whether you feel that they are beneath you or not.....

Why does everyone have to accept what others do? When did we stop being allowed to have opinions in this country, state, region? Some people don't like certain things and that is their right....They have the right to not agree with Paul, They have the right to not be LIBERAL, They have the right to be conservative, They have the right to believe and feel anyway they dam well please.

Locals? Really? Come on now you should know by now that I was not born here and have spent the better part of my adult life living outside this area and this country for that matter so I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm probably a little more socially rounded then you would lead others to believe.

What makes you so profoundly smarter then the rest of us? Law School? Yep that exactly what the world needs another over priced ambulance chaser..

You and Paul seem to feel and project that your opinions are better then others based on what facts? What makes you think that you would know what is and what is not the right way for people to form their own opinions?

When did we allow the college students of this country to be the moral and social police of our thoughts and opinions? You guys are barely old enough to wipe your own noses and yet you are going to tell those of us folks that have and are living life in the real world how we should or should not think or feel...PLEASE......

Last edited by weluvpa; 12-21-2008 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
[quote=sheena12;6583782]How did I KNOW that this would happen? I asked specifically for schools that do NOT enforce a uniform policy and instead I am getting a lecture about the positives of school uniforms!
Amazing!
[b]

Your use of bold, and italics as well as your choice of words....that is what 'judgement' might be based on in your case.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Anyone whose differences are inherent to them and set them apart, even negatively, from other individuals, should NOT be scrutinized. I regularly donate to St. Joseph's Center in Scranton because I admire what they selflessly do to help those with mental- and/or physical-handicaps. Needless to say I scold my peers who say "That's so retarded!" in order to belittle a situation because I find such comments to be callous to those who truly are mentally- and/or physically-retarded. African-Americans can't help that they were born with darker skin than mainstream Caucasians. We in the LGBT can't help that we have some sort of not treatable chemical imbalance that persuades us to be attracted to members of the same gender, regardless of what these Christian conversion camps in the Bible Belt may say.

Imagine how boring this world of ours would be if we all looked exactly alike and shared a universal culture. Adolf Hitler sought to create a superior Aryan Race and sought to not only kill Jews, gays, the handicapped, and anyone else he viewed as being "weak," but he also ordered some pretty cruel medical experiments to be conducted under the direction of Dr. Mengele, including (but not limited to) having dyes injected into people's eyes in an attempt to create a largely blond-haired, fair-skinned, and blue-eyed community. Thankfully we've progressed beyond that point of cruelty, but the scars still remain. It is UNCONSCIONABLE to me that people still spout hatred and intolerance towards others who can't change the way they are.

Trust me, Dan, I'd swallow a "Gay-B-Gone" or "NOT Bengay" pill tomorrow if I could in order to make me "normal." I can't. One's sexual orientation is not a conscious choice, hence why ANY discrimination based upon one's sexual orientation is abhorrent. For those who still aren't convinced, let me ask you straight guys something. If you were being held at gunpoint in a hostage situation and told that the only way to survive would be to fornicate with a member of the same sex, could you? Most would adamantly refuse to engage in such "repulsive" acts. I feel the same way on the opposite end of the sexuality spectrum---perhaps in the situation of life or death or being offered a major financial windfall I'd swallow my pride and endure a half-hour of "weirdness" to gain from it in the end, but by and large you can't just "change" to whom you are attracted. Forcing us to jump through hoops to gain EQUAL legal statuses is cruel and unusual punishment, no? Forcing us to move to Massachusetts or Connecticut, as if they were "concentration camps", is likewise cruel.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:23 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Paul its not about you being gay or not...Its about people having the right to have their own opinions, period. Not everyone likes or dislikes the same thing and they have their own reasons for it. In no way shape or form should anyone be singled out or punished for being different but in the same respect people have the right to their own opinions and they shouldn't be singled out or punished if their opinion of you or anything for that matter is different then yours or mine.......Not everyone is as accpeting as the next and not everyone is going to see it your way or mine......

This is the way it is and its not going to change no matter who is the president....Its the human spirit and people will have varying opinions on everything....You know that I don't care if you or the next guy is gay...I could care less if two gay people want to get married...If your willing to put yourself thru the hell that they call mariage then fine go at it, more power to ya... It doesn't matter who or what your partner is....Good luck.

The commish and his high and mighty law school opinions are just that, a students opinions of a world he has yet to see.

I'm not sure where this thread went over to the topic of gay issues when it was about a stuffy NY'r that thinks she poops ice cream and was going to bring civilization to the backwoods of NEPA straight from Strong Guyland NY..

NEPA is what it is the people are what make this way...Conservative yes of course.......Liberal not by a long shot......I'm sorry but I'm a registered democrat and I think that the liberals are destroying this country with their overly sensitive litigious outlook on everything...

Last year a few parents said that their kids used the field day metals they recieved at school as weapons at home....Well instead of actually raising their children right and teaching them what was right or wrong, they threatened the school....Now the kids get a water bottle for competing....We have a metal for every year that my son has been in school but now we have a $.10 water bottle beacuse some parents would rather BLAME someone else rather then teach their kids.....

Back on topic...............Uniforms in our Utopian Liberal Urban Paradise

Old 12-21-2008, 04:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Well Uniforms because some parents don't care if their child walks out the door with black long coats
that are an ugly symbol of Columbine.( not that that happened in our area, but it did happen) Or pants down to the ankles. I'm glad the school then takes over with updated dress codes. Too bad its needed but it is.

I don't know how we get politics and gay issues in some of these regular threads. It is amazing to me sometimes. It wasn't part of the question at all in the least.

Too bad the school had to not give out metals. The parents should be ashamed......Plastic bottles!
See that, we give into bad behavior rather then nipping that and continuing on......

I dont' see anyone changing NEPA. It is what it is. It unfortunate that some "baddies" are entering the scene.........and I hope that those types are sent right back where they came from.
( by baddies......I mean criminals and thieves )

Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 PM

45 posts, read 120,831 times
I'm a college student so yall have me to pump money into your s.s account... and Ill totally take part in and gay bashing (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania