Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, let me tell you a few things-
The words New York in someones address does not automatically convey an "open and accepting" attitude.

Paul, do not think that all of NYState is OK with diversity. NYC and Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx are a real mixed bag. Parts of Brooklyn could be VERY VERY SCARY to any one who is gay, Emo, Goth,Punk, - or non white. Even non- Catholic - Ethnic.
These working class guys and gals vote Republican.

Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are small cities. They have down towns - or Center cities.

JUst a thought - or 3

Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 104,624 times
I am also from Long Island sheena12, and my parents are moving to NEPA, and my mom isn't too happy about the uniforms either and we've been trying to find a school that does not require a uniform. it can be stressful to always wash the clothes and no one forms any originallity. i went to school in ny and we did not have a uniform and sometimes people would say things about what you are wearing and so on and so forth and it really can be annoying and hurtful but you get over it.

sometimes navy or a certain colour does not flatter someone and they shouldn't have to wear it. my little sister is such a free spirit, i hate to see her confined. well actually she's only six and she's really upset about having to wear a uniform, she wants to know what's going to happen to all her clothes and why can't she wear what she wants.... she's very aware and intelligent. only six, and knows words beyond elementary school vocab. i am sort of afraid that since she's been schooled here in ny, that it will be a downgrade, but i know it will all work out. i think it will be good, a definite different lifestyle. i guess they dont mind the uniforms like people have said because they are used to them, and people aren't always openminded to change, which is fine as well.

not just that, obviously schools have dress codes which is respectful because even here they have that.

if you do find a school let me know. i know they are mostly looking for a good school district, like abington heights or somewhere else and that district does mandate a uniform.

do the high schools mandate uniforms?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofulovinvegan View Post
Yes. I highly suspect most strict dress codes and uniform policies in our area were initiated on account of the lack of "class" displayed by many high school students with boys wearing their jeans so low below their boxers that their...errrmm..."stuff" would practically hang out and with the girls wearing tops so low-cut that they left nothing to the imagination, if you catch my drift. Perhaps Pittston Area, my alma mater, was just a "horny" school, but before our uniform policy was instituted I'd see both genders wearing as little clothing as possible (and tight-fitting at that), even in WINTER! I would often wear a button-down shirt with a sweater or vest over it and either neat jeans or khakis and felt more confident because I looked good. I could NEVER imagine trying to project a positive image of myself with my smiley-face boxers greeting everyone!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:

In Scranton, only the elementary and intermediate schools require a uniform. The high schools have a fairly strict dress code, but they're not limited to only the SSD monogramed shirts. In the high schools, they have to wear khakis/polos/sweaters, but are not limited to certain colors.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Tofulovinvegan - the Scranton dress code is so strict that it might as well be a uniform.Polo shirts, and slacks i.e. NOT JEANS. No "all black" in other words the student can where black slacks and say khaki pants but a black top with black pants.
My children dress well and they have their own style. I agree with your parents.
Coughlin HS in Wilkes-Barre does not have a draconian dress code. The scores there are quite good! School uniforms do not BTW, improve academic performance. Only one study in the ninties "prooved" that and it was funded by the Land's End Corporation - one of the largest distributers of school uniforms.
You may privatly E-mail me for more information!
One of my children is a vegan and we are all vegetarians :-) !

Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Coughlin HS in Wilkes-Barre does not have a draconian dress code. The scores there are quite good!
I work near Coughlin High School, and I see the kids from there hanging around downtown after school. Those students are a great argument FOR school uniforms. Many of them look like trash....big baggy ghetto pants with their underwear showing....girls showing way too much skin, looking like junior prostitutes....freaky looking goth kids with all black and makeup. It probably looks more like a circus than school. Too many distractions.

I'm not saying only kids from Coughlin dress like this, but its evidence of what other schools would be like without uniforms or a dress code. That's great that your kids can dress tastefully, but not all parents can be trusted to make sure their kids dress like human beings and not side-show acts. And the kids who do dress appropriately should not be subjected to having their education disrupted because other kids see a need to draw attention to themselves with their clothing (or lack thereof).

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
it can be stressful to always wash the clothes and no one forms any originallity.
Stressful to wash clothes? If that's stressful to you, I feel bad for you.

Originality? Guess what, in the real world when you have a job, your boss will not care about your "originality." You wear the required clothes, or find your way to the door. Why should school be any different? Kids are there to learn, not for a fashion show.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I thought you knew that school was a place for our kids to be original and not study.....Fashion and make-up are far more important to their sense of individuality than an education. They will be happier with their image then their grades and thats all that matters. Why would we ever want our kids to be smart and get an education when they can be fashion plates at a young age.

I'm constantly on my 10yr old sons case about mixing and matching his colors and creating more laundry for me....The fact that he has good grades and is learning are absolutely meaningless as long as he looks good......

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Heh, let me see if I have this technique down:

I want my kids to wear drab, uniform jumpsuits all-day, emblazoned with the the school motto so they won't forget they're in school or think about their own identity. Their heads, of course, should be shaved. They should be chained to their desks all day to learn facts, nothing but facts. It's all about their education, not about creativity or socializing or some fruity-tooty notion of "learning about themselves". In fact, put them in solitary rooms all day so nothing can get in the way of their education.

I don't care if they're uncreative, depressed, or socially retarded, as long as their grades are good.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
uncreative, depressed, or socially retarded
You know me all too well!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania