Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,750,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

I don't care if they're uncreative, depressed, or socially retarded, as long as their grades are good.
Anyone who needs a certain kind of clothing to be creative, mentally well-adjusted, or socially healthy...already has major problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I don't care if they're uncreative, depressed, or socially retarded, as long as their grades are good.
Anyone who needs a certain kind of clothing to be creative, mentally well-adjusted, or socially healthy...already has major problems. Read: shallow.

So I guess kids should be able to show up to school in their underwear, according to you?

Somehow, my child is very creative (very artistically advanced for his age), is a well-adjusted and generally happy kid, and gets along great with others....and he wears a uniform to school. Imagine that????!!! Shoots your theory out of the water....

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM

I also don't understand why someone can only be their own person by wearing certain styles of clothing? Clothing is a material thing....if that's what you use to establish your identity, I pity you.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,045,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Anyone who needs a certain kind of clothing to be creative, mentally well-adjusted, or socially healthy...already has major problems.
And anyone who needs a uniform to learn already has major problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
And anyone who needs a uniform to learn already has major problems.
Once again, maybe I should say this slowly.....the ridiculous styles of clothing worn by young people these days are a DISTRACTION to learning. Girls with lots of skin showing, and boys with their hindquarters hanging out of their pants, of course are going to be a disruption to a classroom (or any) environment. By establishing rules for modest dress, it also helps teach self-respect and professionalism.

Its school, not a carnival side-show.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I also don't understand why someone can only be their own person by wearing certain styles of clothing? Clothing is a material thing....if that's what you use to establish your identity, I pity you.
No, I'm saying they shouldn't have any identity. It's all about the grades.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No, I'm saying they shouldn't have any identity. It's all about the grades.
In school, yes you're right....it is about the grades. Its just like in the real world at work....employers don't pay people to show their identity, they pay them to work.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,055,533 times
Kids DO NOT get into college because they know how to put a outfit together. The uniforms are not that bad...What the hell is wrong with khakis?

The funny part here is that people actually are arguing that clothes are what make the person.......If your children need to be dressed a certain way in order to feel like they are someone then the examples being set at home are unhealthy.

Uniforms in school don't supress anything that a healthy mind, good attitude and stable home environment cannot bring out of any child. My son is creative and has good grades, likes music and art and he wears a uniform.

He doesn't wear it 24/7, he wears it to school and then changes at the end of the day into HIS play/personal clothes that he picks. He doesn't care that he has to wear a uniform, because he knows what is and what is not important in school, hence the good grades.

Shallow people like this are the ones that have to have the wheels on their ride when they roll up on the school in the morning so that everyone can see their pimped out ride (when they drop off the kiddies) that they cannot really afford but hey it looks cool right?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Kids DO NOT get into college because they know how to put a outfit together. The uniforms are not that bad...What the hell is wrong with khakis?

The funny part here is that people actually are arguing that clothes are what make the person.......If your children need to be dressed a certain way in order to feel like they are someone then the examples being set at home are unhealthy.

Uniforms in school don't supress anything that a healthy mind, good attitude and stable home environment cannot bring out of any child. My son is creative and has good grades, likes music and art and he wears a uniform.

He doesn't wear it 24/7, he wears it to school and then changes at the end of the day into HIS play/personal clothes that he picks. He doesn't care that he has to wear a uniform, because he knows what is and what is not important in school, hence the good grades.

Shallow people like this are the ones that have to have the wheels on their ride when they roll up on the school in the morning so that everyone can see their pimped out ride (when they drop off the kiddies) that they cannot really afford but hey it looks cool right?
I would give this post postive rep, but I have to spread it around before I give you any more.

Well said.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Somehow, my child is very creative (very artistically advanced for his age), is a well-adjusted and generally happy kid, and gets along great with others....and he wears a uniform to school. Imagine that????!!! Shoots your theory out of the water....
That's great, but I don't think that shoots my theory out of the water. I'm saying someone like him would probably get even better grades and test scores without all that creativity in an even more rigid and restrictive school environment. Why stop at uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania