Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Actually I'm not from New York.....But coming from you I'll take that as a compliment.....I am one of those supposed "redneck hunters" you speak of though....I just returned from a two day goose hunt in NJ of all places......

As much as you are sick of New Yorkers, we are sick of people like you and Sheena telling us about how much you have or how much you gave up to move here........You are moving into OUR SOCIETY, OUR WAY OF LIFE and you will find just as many "Redneck Hunters" in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area if not MORE then you will find in the poconos...IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE PEOPLE OR THE WAY OF LIFE IN NEPA THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE HERE........Just don't think that you are bringing some sort of cultured lifestyle to the backwoods to help da natives live like the white man....

We don't want your blankets, nor do we need your trinkets.

Can someone please explain to me if they tell you when your child that if your from NY that you are better then the rest of the world?

Its time to milk the cows and feed the chickens so I'm out for little while but after we're done tillin the back 40 I'll get back to ya'll.

Mathjak.....NO hammock...Plastic patio funiture.

http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0032.gif (broken link)

http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0198.gif (broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of NY View Post
Who do you think you are? I am sick of New York and the ridiculous taxes
we have to pay. I think NEPA, specifically the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area
is a good choice since the people are friendly and liberal (not narrow minded like you). I had checked out the Pocono region and found it to be a lot of red-necks and hunters and would NEVER let my kids go to the public schools-uniform or no uniform. With the nastiness and sarcasm that you show, you must not be a Pennsylvanian, you must be one of the New Yorkers that I am so trying to get away from.
"Liberal?" Have you been to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre lately? The people here are about as "liberal" as the people of rural Arkansas. Yes, they vote Democratically, but they're the "Reagan Democrats" (gots ta vote wit da union to get da benefits from da factree), not the "Progressive Democrats" (sociocultural tolerance, green living, and civil equality are a-okay!) Take it from someone in the much-maligned local LGBT community when I tell you that while the locals are most certainly not "rednecks," they are also a FAR CRY from the hospitable people I encountered in New York City during my Wednesday visit. There I saw same-sex couple after same-sex couple holding hands while strolling the streets without any sort of harassment from anyone. I can GUARANTEE that if my partner and I were to walk hand-in-hand down Main Street in Pittston or Carbondale we'd be lambasted by the peanut gallery! I saw Arabs walking around freely. I am NOT lying when I can say that at my workplace I've had customers tell me both "Uh oh. There goes a terrorist" and "Looks like bin Laden" when Arabic customers come into our store. Old ladies clutch their purses more tightly around here when an African-American male steps onto the bus. A lot of local Roman Catholics DEFENDED their bishop when he fool-heartedly treaded the fine line between preaching and political persuasion (i.e. losing your tax-exempt status) when he told his flock how they were supposed to vote in the recent presidential election in order to remain in good standing in the church. This is also the area where high school football players have everyone awestruck, and I've never quite understood how sad some people's lives must be in order for them to exalt these teen-aged athletes onto such high pedestals.

Oh, by the way, this is coming from a Scranton/Wilkes-Barre native, and a lot in my age group AGREE with me before you tell us all "if you don't like it, then move" or "you must be a transplant." Do you all REALLY want to alienate the entire generation that will be taking care of you all in your old age?
People in the older generations always say we in Generation Y "have a lot to learn," but in reality as science comes closer and closer to PROVING that one's sexual orientation is NOT a conscious choice I wonder how many of the local homophobic "oldsters" will be eating many healthy helpings of crow as we point at them and say "told you so!"

Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Quote was from...WeluvPa

I am wondering this about our neighbors from LI.......
Since my hubby has requested him to go golfing four or five times now, and that has been fluffed off....
Also since in NJ we had so many nice, friendly, neighbors.....and this group is so anti-social.
I keep trying to come up with why someone would be unfriendly, I was never taught that trait........
So maybe thats it, its taught when they are born there. ( I don't know, I'm just trying to figure this out)

GOLF? thats not a redneck sport, not enough blood or broken bones.. maybe if you swing the club from inside your car hanging out the window you can get some interest.... kind of like red neck polo

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM

45 posts, read 120,825 times
Are people really liberal in this area??? If so I might just be changing my moving plans

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatbarbie View Post
Are people really liberal in this area??? If so I might just be changing my moving plans
Read my above novella for your answer. Are people liberal in this area? No. LOL!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatbarbie View Post
No, people are not really liberal in this area. A majority are democrats, but not liberal democrats....old-school democrats from back before the party was hijacked by the far-left.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
I along with Sheena and other New Yorkers are tired of HIGH, High taxes and there is nothing wrong with moving to a cute city like Wilkes-Barre or Scranton. The cost of living in these cities are 60% less than Long Island.
Fine...But leave the new york attitude and crap in NY when you get here...We don't care and don't want to hear about it.

Your welcome..We are very happy to have the lower taxes so that you guys can move here and just drive them up over the 10 years just to make your life easier for you...

Quote:
Maybe some of you are afraid of the school not being 98% white, but I grew up in Brooklyn and my elementary school was only 50% white and I had many friends of different nationalities and colors. When my parents moved to L.I. I went to HS where it was only 75% white and again no problem, and we had gays and lesbians in the school and they were among the brightest. You have to get over the lilly white neighborhoods, because in a short few years we are not going to be the majority, but we'll be the new minority. Are you afraid? I'm not.
Right.....And who mentioned anything about race? Actually you were the one calling us "Redneck Hunters" with broad and reaching strokes to bunch all of us into one category......The funny thing is that you have acted EXACTLY like what the people in NEPA would expect from some who is moving here from NY.....

Good job at proving us wrong..

I like how you throw the race card out there, I hope that you have better cards in your hand because that won't play on this form.

The funny part is you proved my point by just being yourself....

Hey Paul check it out buddy......

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Ok well, headlines today in the Pocono Record. Dec. 19th......

Pleasant Valley adopted a dress code for next year, following the lead around this area of Stroudsburg.
It also states that East Stroudsburg is in discussions about a "new" dress code.

I probably, years ago, would have been first in line saying....." Oh No, our girls will dress as they like"
But........There is a change in what kids are allowed to leave home wearing, and the change is no good.
Droopy drawers, hoodies and micro minis are not needed in a learning environment.
I think the dress code will set the tone for better learning. No clothes contests, no image contests, and no pants at the ankles. This sounds great to me.

But, like I said above .......I can remember a time I would have joined all these students and parents that are against. This is a sign of the times.

There are plenty of choices, and I bet the kids will look just smashing in those colors and styles.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:41 AM

45 posts, read 120,825 times
hm mm...but not "rednecks" that type of area is where I like... ugh I'm sick of trying to find a place ill like... I really thought I had it this time.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I do like the people in NEPA and the way of life there. I also do not hate Long Island as some former Islanders do.
Some of you seem to think that I live in mid-town Manhattan. Or Greenwich Village. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!
I live an hour and a half East of NYC and alas, I rarely get into the city.
To me Scranton and Wilkes Barre ARE URBAN ! They are walkable which my area is not.
Nassau Suffolk NY ( the counties that comprise Long Island) are some of the most Republican areas around.
I want to move to NEPA for the slower, pace of life, friendly down-to- earth people, beautiful sceenery and beautiful older homes.
We have been thinking about this for two years so this is no spur of the moment thing.
We are good people and good neighbors. We are not judging YOU GUYS by the few nasty posts replies we recieved.
PLEASE TRY NOT TO JUDGE US!
Hey I am even reconcidering the school uniform issue after speaking to a very bright recent graduate from West Scranton who said " its ant all that bad" She loves the schools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania