Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 PM

24,107 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I know that this is one of those issues where people have strong opinions and I am NOT writing this to debate the school uniform topic. So PLEASE do not argue the benefits of uniforms in public schools
I already know that Scranton City Schools have uniforms and a fairly strict one at that.
Now I have learned that Wyoming Vally West also requires uniforms.
Other than Wilkes Barre City Schools are there any other areas that DO NOT REQUIRE UNIFORMS? A dress code is fine - like jeans and neat tee shirts no nose rings etc. Anyone have any information?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Most of the schools are moving to the khaki pants and solid color golf shirts with the school logo on them from what I understand. The whole dress code issue was in place for years as far what your shirts could and couldn't say and the baggy jeans and what not, but most kids ignored or didn't follow the code. Too much freedom in the dress code and it was abused. Hence the uniforms.

I understand that your looking at moving and I mean no disrespect, but it seems that the only ones that have problems with the uniforms are people moving to the area. When Scranton required HS kids to wear the uniform the ones that were interviewed about being unhappy were the parents of new kids in the schools from outside our area.

It seems to be a regional slide towards the uniforms and I don't think that you are going to get away from it. A school might not have them this year or next but they will most likely be changing soon.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I agree with Dan (is hell freezing over???!!) Pittston Area now also has uniforms---only khakis and polo shirts or button-down shirts are permitted for boys with similar business casual attire for girls. I tend to dress this way everyday myself in college, so being a fresh product of this alma mater with its strict new uniform policy would not have hindered me one bit. I believe Wyoming Valley West, Greater Nanticoke, Scranton, and a few other local districts all have uniforms. I'm not sure about Wyoming Area though, actually, so if West Pittston is still on your radar I might check into it.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM

164 posts, read 384,965 times
Scranton City schools have uniforms for elementary and intermediate school studenst ... however the high school students have a dress code that is similar to the one you describe Paul ... although it has been my observation that many in their freshman year (at Scranton High) have been wearing the uniforms ... maybe due to the fact that they still fit in them from the intermediate school.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM

The SSD considers the dress code as uniforms....They are similiar to the elementary school except they need not be embroidered with any logos...

Scranton School District
High School Uniform Dress Code

The Scranton School District has adopted the attached school uniform policy for grades 9 through 12. The uniforms may be worn in any combination. School uniforms are mandatory and the UNIFORM POLICY will be strictly enforced pursuant to the attached discipline guidelines.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
As someone who has only been here for less than 2 years, I love the school uniform.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times
if nothing else, it keeps more dollars in the wallet!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM

24,107 posts, read 32,460,014 times
How did I KNOW that this would happen? I asked specifically for schools that do NOT enforce a uniform policy and instead I am getting a lecture about the positives of school uniforms!
Amazing!
Exactly how am I going to take the comment " I mean no disrespect, but it seems that the only ones that have problems with the uniforms are people moving to the area."
When ever a comment must be prefaced with "I mean no disrespect" or some other form of verbal back peddling there is always some form of
maleficence involved
The uniform split tends to run along socioeconomic and political lines.
In areas of high parental involvement, there tends to be no public outcry for children to wear cotton poly blend pseudo preppy "golf shirts" and unattractive navy blue chinos with plastic braided belts.
I am not going for the French Toast Academy look.
my children have good and unique taste - which I sometimes have to modify - and I do. A lot.
If you really want to "gentrify the area" (and I am aware that not all of you do) this is truly NOT the way to attract people who appreciate the beautiful scenery, great architecture and amazing potential inherent in your area.
Also this is NOT a regional issue. We have areas that have instituted uniforms and they tend to be in areas that are ...troubled.
Kids have a way of telegraphing their "interests" - positive or negative - to other kids. Uniforms or not.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM

127 posts, read 290,427 times
Not sure how many schools are left that haven't started a uniform policy.

Regardless of how children want to dress 'trendy' or have the 'in' look they are in a school to LEARN. It is not a fashion show, runway or contest.

I think the main objective in selecting a school/location would be will your children get enough 'out' of school to go on to college, get a better education, and be productive citizens. The focus should not be 'why do they have to give up individuality for uniforms'.

And before you start another post with the bold on and direct it my direction - save yourself the time. I am just posting an answer to your question and also after reading your follow up.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM

GOOD LUCK BECAUSE WHAT I SAID WAS THAT YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING ANY SCHOOLS THAT DO NOT HAVE A UNIFORM POLICY NOW OR IN THE WORKS. IF THERE IS NO UNIFORM POLICY THEN THERE WILL BE A DRESS CODE.

I didn't lecture or bring up the pros and cons of it..I don't care about your kids fashion sense nor do the schools. Its not a fashion statement its school and if kids want to stand out from the rest they can do it with their academics.

There is no maleficence involved anywhere....The reality is that the parents in the school districts do not complain about the dress codes or uniforms...Only the new parents that have moved here from outside of the area are the ones complaining.

Obviously you have a huge amount of hang-ups about moving here to NEPA, maybe you need to rethink the idea.

Last edited by weluvpa; 12-16-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania