Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 PM

96 posts, read 583,199 times

Advertisements

I originally moved into the area because of the excellent real estate opportunities. Now it's more than that. I really feel that I can call this place "home." I moved here from Philadelphia about a year and 1/2 ago, originally to Nanticoke, now to Plymouth.

I'm not sure when the change from "great cheap real estate" to "home" happened, but it did. I can't put my finger on any one thing that did it for me, probably many things that I won't get into. Anyway, I was wondering if we have any other Plymouth residents here, and what their opinions of the borough were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 09:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
I originally moved into the area because of the excellent real estate opportunities. Now it's more than that. I really feel that I can call this place "home." I moved here from Philadelphia about a year and 1/2 ago, originally to Nanticoke, now to Plymouth.

I'm not sure when the change from "great cheap real estate" to "home" happened, but it did. I can't put my finger on any one thing that did it for me, probably many things that I won't get into. Anyway, I was wondering if we have any other Plymouth residents here, and what their opinions of the borough were?
I don't live in Plymouth, but I always though it had much "potential" to shine brightly once again. Check into becoming involved with "Plymouth Alive", a grass-roots organization aimed at improving the quality-of-life in town. They've been involved in the annual kielbasa festival, Christmas tree displays, and other downtown-related civic events. Plymouth Alive could use someone like you in its ranks! It's basically a smaller version of the wildly-successful Scranton Tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,943 times
Thumbs up New to Plymouth

I recently bought a house in Plymouth, I also think it has a lot of potential.I have been going to the Luzerne county area for about 40 years, my in laws and nieces and nephews still live there. I loved it then and I still love going there now. My son who is now 40 wants to live there year round. It has such a different home town feel, everyone is friendly and willing to help you. I know it is an old town that can use a lot of repair but I am willing to do my share to help improve it. I would love to find out about the Plymouth Aline group ( my husband loves kielbasi) I am sure he will be there for the kielbasi festival. When is it?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 103,007 times
When I moved back to NEPA in January, I worked in Plymouth. I was not happy there at all - perhaps it was more for my own reasons that because of the town.

I am now working in my own home town - Pittston - which to many people would be North Hell, but, to me - it's home.

My heart wasn't in Plymouth, but belonged in Pittston.

Home is where the heart is. I am happy you found yours and I mine.

Best,

Linda

Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 AM

201 posts, read 538,849 times
Default Plymouth

I also lived in Nanticoke and moved to Plymouth. Not so sure it was a smart move. LOL. I resided there for 9 years (rent was cheap) and have been out for almost 2 now. There is potential but the area needs a lot of improving. As far as residence wise, I have nothing good to say about it. Sorry. I guess it was because I lived on the worst street there... Vine St. There was a major drug bust right across the street from me, constantly kids destroying your automobile, some really strange characters. The parents did not care what the kids did and where they were. I do think it is better as you get up by Shawnee Ave. Although a woman I work with lives there and complains about the ATV's all the time. My dad did grow up by the high school but of course things were much different back then. If you like this area but not that town, you may want to look into right across the bridge in Lynnwood, Buttonwood, or Hanover Green. A little calmer there and friendlier in my opinion. I still have to get back over to Plymouth for chicken wing pizza from Happy's. I miss that. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,274 times
I also recently bought a home in Plymouth - not a bad location. I sure wish the neighbors were a little friendlier though. For months I've been saying hello whenever I see them outside and they look at me like I have a third eye - from what I understand the previous owners of this house were not the nicest people in the world (which I don't understand what that has got to do with me). I'll keep on trying though. I do have a couple of concerns though. One is the park that is across the street from my residence (the park off of Beade Street) - That needs some serious attention and I would be willing to help with any volunteer organization that is willing to undergo this project. Second is the ambulance service. I am an EMT and wanted to volunteer my time to the ambulance but I've been nothing but discouraged from the start. This is a shame.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro321 View Post
I also recently bought a home in Plymouth - not a bad location. I sure wish the neighbors were a little friendlier though. For months I've been saying hello whenever I see them outside and they look at me like I have a third eye - from what I understand the previous owners of this house were not the nicest people in the world (which I don't understand what that has got to do with me). I'll keep on trying though. I do have a couple of concerns though. One is the park that is across the street from my residence (the park off of Beade Street) - That needs some serious attention and I would be willing to help with any volunteer organization that is willing to undergo this project. Second is the ambulance service. I am an EMT and wanted to volunteer my time to the ambulance but I've been nothing but discouraged from the start. This is a shame.
Please don't give up hope. Towns like Plymouth, Edwardsville, Nanticoke, Pittston, Carbondale, etc. have fallen on much harder times than Scranton or Wilkes-Barre have and are experiencing much greater difficulty in revitalizing themselves as a result. These communities need all of the civic-oriented, ambitious individuals they can get their hands on! As I said in my earlier reply, check out "Plymouth Alive" at this link: : Home

This is an organization of people with a vested interest in restoring civic pride in Plymouth, a town that has probably hit the ground much harder than just about any other community in our region besides Edwardsville. The 2007 Membership Drive is currently underway with meetings held on the First and Third Tuesday of every month at 6:30 PM on the second floor of the borough building. It doesn't appear as if they've accomplished too much besides the annual kielbasa festival, but a town that's fallen on such hard times has to start somewhere, right?

I briefly toyed around with an initiative known as "Pittston 2020" while I was in high school. I created a web site, established a vision statement, and was working on developing a blog, message board, and photographic section when I decided to instead pledge my allegiance to Scranton. I realized that in order to help revitalize Pittston, we must first revitalize our core cities and then let the reinvestment trickle down to these smaller towns. This is why I also firmly believe that as a newer resident of Plymouth you should not only become active in Plymouth Alive but also keep abreast of the revitalization of nearby Wilkes-Barre. If and when Wilkes-Barre starts to rise up from the ashes and real estate values soar, towns like Plymouth will become instant magnets for new residents seeking inexpensive housing near to this hub city.

Welcome to NEPA! If it's any consolation I know of several friendly people who hail from Plymouth, so there must be some lurking in your neighborhood somewhere!

Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM

96 posts, read 583,199 times
figaro321, what street do you live on? I am on Elm St. here. There are plenty of nice people in Plymouth, and plenty of ass holes... like anywhere really! Both my neighbors left and right are pretty nice (lucked out) but some ore not. I like to work on cars a lot, and someone reported me to code enforcement for "working on school buses" ooookay.... anyway, Plymouth has it's good and bad points, look for the high points and overlook the lows and the place can be pretty nice!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times
Default lovely town

we also moved to plymouth from philly, love the town, very nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania