Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Plan to Do on New Year's Eve? (Check All That Apply)
I'm Checking Out First Night: Scranton 2 4.44%
I'm Hosting an Intimate Gathering at My Home 6 13.33%
I'm Hosting a Party at My Home 3 6.67%
I'm Going Over a Relative's Home 3 6.67%
I'm Going Over a Friend's Home 10 22.22%
My Workplace is Having a New Year's Party 1 2.22%
I'm Getting Drunk as a Skunk! 5 11.11%
I'm Going to Watch Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve from NYC 7 15.56%
I'm Venturing Into Manhattan to See Times Square Up Close and Personal 1 2.22%
I'll Be Watching PSU Dominate in the Rose Bowl 4 8.89%
I'm Bar-Hopping 1 2.22%
I'm Going Clubbing 1 2.22%
I'm Going to the Scranton Radisson 1 2.22%
I'm Working (Sigh!) 6 13.33%
I'm Traveling Out Of The Area 1 2.22%
I Don't Live in NEPA (Yet), But I Lurk Here and Wanted to Vote to Say "Hello!" 3 6.67%
I'm Coming "Home" to NEPA From Another Area to Visit Family/Friends 2 4.44%
I'll Be at The Woodlands 1 2.22%
I'll Be at Mohegan Sun 2 4.44%
Other (Please Specify Below) 16 35.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM

87 posts, read 183,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was just wondering what everyone planned to do this year for New Year's Eve. I have been invited to three different house parties, but I'm considering going with yet more friends to check out First Night: Scranton for the first time. I'm fortunate enough that Lowe's "likes" me, so I received both New Year's Eve AND New Year's Day off from work! LOL!

In any event I hope everyone's 2009 is much better than 2008. It has been a STRESSFUL year for many people I know. With a new president in the Oval Office hopefully at least SOME things will get better on the national front, and perhaps in 2009 Dan will get his wish with a new mayor at the helm in Scranton.
Well hubbie and I might go to the Woodlands New Years bash and do the hotel room thing! Might just stay home and have a few and have that room thing at home (providing I have no headache) LOL I hope I can stay awake for what ever decision we make!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times
I saw this today and it made me laugh, hope it brings some joy to all of those who will be dieting starting tomorrow (or who have already started, as some of us have)

'Twas the week after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt

I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"
So away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie - not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore
But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 AM

99 posts, read 338,198 times
That says it all, and is really hysterical. Truer words were never spoken.

Happy New Year to all!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times
lialleycat, that is sooooo true....and funny!

All the family members have returned to their own nests. We had our usual zoo, and I love it! All the kids, grandkids, grandcritters.......ahhhhh, it's heaven for me. I just stepped over them all as I made a boneless prime rib (crusted with coarse salt, butcher's pepper, garlic, and olive oil), red potatoes with fresh rosemary, ginger/orange carrots, red cabbage, & green beans with mushroom and bacon. Dessert was apple/pear/raisin/cranberry cobbler with Kahlua drizzle.

Tonight it will be just the two of us. Without any idea or discussion, we ended up getting each other fondue sets for Christmas. Sorta one of those "Gift of the Magi" stories. We are gonna set those babies up and see what we can invent. Flashback to the 60s night!! Groovy!

For extra added excitement, I'm looking forward to watching some historical lecture DVDs that I got. "The Years from the Tudors to the Stuarts". Bet you'd all love to join me for that party!!

For all of you traveling tonight, take a look at the weather report. They are suggesting to be prepared for -10 degree wind chills with high gusts. As Scran said, stay over night if you can, but be aware that just getting somewhere in the first place could be a pilgrimage. Be safe!

Happy New Year, Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
Oh gosh what I really want to do is crawl into bed at 7pm and not get up til sunday. I am utterly exausted.

But what I will do is make a roast pork dinner, for my dh, our two boys, my sister in law, her dh and their two girls who are visiting from England. They have been here for 2 weeks and we have done the tourist thing, done so much.

Tomorrow we will go into Manhatten and stay overnight and do more touristy things. Then they leave on sat early. It is the fourth set of visitors from across the pond this year, none of whom drive, none of who can make up their mind what they want to do. So I am done.

Then we get to go home in Feb for 10 days and guess who taxi's us around ; nobody. We get of the plane, rent a car and do our own thing.

Can you tell I am wrecked.

Thanks for listening to me whine.
d

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
You're definitely not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times
Oh, Dorothy....whine away! It sounds draining.

I've been fortunate to visit the UK twice. The first time we made a big circle around Ireland. Last summer we did London......north to Scotland.......ferry to Ireland........back to England via the ferry......down through Wales......and flew back out of Heathrow. I love it so very much there! I try to tell myself it's all genetic memory stuff. My eccentric Nanny (paternal grandmother) told me that we are descended from Scot royalty. Sure. Us and several hundred thousand other folks! LOL! I'm a major mutt of English, Welsh, Scot, and Irish....toss in a some Swede. Yep. It's all genetic memory!!

btw, what's it like to visit there in the winter?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Oh, Dorothy....whine away! It sounds draining.

I've been fortunate to visit the UK twice. The first time we made a big circle around Ireland. Last summer we did London......north to Scotland.......ferry to Ireland........back to England via the ferry......down through Wales......and flew back out of Heathrow. I love it so very much there! I try to tell myself it's all genetic memory stuff. My eccentric Nanny (paternal grandmother) told me that we are descended from Scot royalty. Sure. Us and several hundred thousand other folks! LOL! I'm a major mutt of English, Welsh, Scot, and Irish....toss in a some Swede. Yep. It's all genetic memory!!

btw, what's it like to visit there in the winter?
Its miserable in the winter. The best time to go is really from May thru August. The nights are long(sun goes down at 11pm), the weather is good ; maybe 70 degrees. I love the scenery and food and drink there.

We go for spring break as we do the family thing ; all the family live either in Ireland or England, so we dont really do much touristy things. We would absolutely love to sneak into either country ; by sneaking I mean not tell the family, and just tour both countries, seeing things that we never saw in the 23 years we lived there. Its also cheaper to go at spring break time.
100% irish here ; our boys are 100% also ; no mutts here(yet).

d

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,772 times
I actually would like to stay home to get some sleep in...must be overworked. I don't like to be on the roads on this night. I don't feel all that safe out there.
What's with having pork for New Years? I'd never heard of it being a tradition. My son's girlfriend is going to make a pork loin with sauerkraut. She's originally from Lancaster, PA. Is it tradition around here? I don't recall anyone from Long Island or CA ever doing that. Hummm.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times

Happy New Year to all of you...May all your dreams come true....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania