Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,033 times

Advertisements

Hey...that was funny..now back to the OP topic....

Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
Some in Scranton tend to think Scranton is much more appealing then it really is. Scranton is your average rust belt small city, like Binghamton, Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Williamsport and countless others, each having it's own history and idenity. Scranton will never be a huge tourist destination, never! It isn't Las Vegas, or even Branson. The few tourist related things it does offer appeal only to certain people like railroad buffs or field trips for elementary school kids from the region. It's a small dying city. I don't want to be a downer, but some Scranton people act as if it is Manhatten or something. They hype it so much, but there is really not much to see. Honestly, what does Scranton have that all the other similar sized cities don't? I've spent alot of time in Scranton in the past when I drove taxi, and I just don't understand what all the hype is? Scranton braggs way to much for what it has. Hell even Luzerne County rakes in more tourism related dollars, and we don't even try!!! We have hardly any advertising in Luzerne County as opposed to Chris Doherty bragging about how wonderful Scranton is on every other commercial on WNEP, and we are still beating Lackawanna County! Scranton's all like "we have stores and restaraunts and bars and entertainment ect!" Yeah, so does every other metro area! Why would I go to Scranton when I can get all of these things in my own backyard? If I want to see a city, I'll go to Philly, or NYC, or Atlantic City or Baltimore. Scranton just doesn't offer enough to persuade me to go there. Our best attributes in our region are our outdoors, and natural areas, state parks, hiking, fishing ect. When day trippers from NYC, Philly ect. plan a day trip to NEPA I can garrentee you they are not coming here to visit a small, dying, post industrial city like Scranton or Wilkes-Barre (especially when they live in world class major cities) they are coming for the outdoorsy type stuff. I like Scranton, but the braggy, "look at us we are better then everyone else" attitude that many in Scranton have is very off putting, you know...the martini sipping, hipster, metro sexual image that Scranton tries so desperately to pull off like it's Seatle or Boston or something? and my personal reaction is... PLEASE!!!. It's a poverty stricken, dying rust belt town at best. Mayor Doherty even when as far as to claim that "Scranton is Pa's best city." Has he ever even ventured out of Lackawanna County? Because you don't need to travel very far before you run into much better, more prosperous parts of Pa. We in NEPA have the highest unemployment levels, the lowest job growth, are cities have been bleeding people for what 100 years now? Both Scranton and W-B have lost have thier population. HALF!! That speaks for itself. If Scranton is so "Scrantastic" and "Lackawanna Wonderful" then why is everyone leaving it? I mean really, who does Scranton appeal too? People living in Carbondale? I wouldn't sell my house in Wilkes-Barre and move to Scranton. I'm sorry, I do love our region and what it has to offer, but Scranton tends to get all high and mighty sometimes and needs to be reeled in before it's head explodes!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:38 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Lackawanna Ave in 2020.......

Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,949 times
Somewhere between that and what some would like for Scranton to be is probably much closer to accurate.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM

109 posts, read 366,862 times
There are so many things that need to be done....

All I can say, is that when you read The Times, and they have the "Then & Now" segment with a pic of current Scranton vs a much older photo...I always think the "Then" picture is so much more appealing. There are usually more cars on the roads and people on the streets in the older pics too...speaks volumes!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
I think Scranton holds on to it's past too much. It's not to say forget Scranton's history but work on becoming a modern city.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Why is it that people in many other forums, including the Buffalo one, can start a thread like this and have a half-dozen or more people pitching out good ideas, and here on this thread there has just been more Scranton-bashing? Is Buffalo really that much nicer than Scranton?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why is it that people in many other forums, including the Buffalo one, can start a thread like this and have a half-dozen or more people pitching out good ideas, and here on this thread there has just been more Scranton-bashing? Is Buffalo really that much nicer than Scranton?
Yes!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is Buffalo really that much nicer than Scranton?

I'm not sure...Buffalo has Niagara Falls......Scranton has the Step Falls......Buffalo has the Great Lakes.......Scranton has Lake Scranton...

Jury is still out on this one..

Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM

I honestly think that the endless cheerleading, the snobby artsy farty metro sexual wannabe attitude, the mayor that acts as though Scranton is a combination of Paris, Beverly Hills, and Manhattan but only better, and the general " we are Scranton and the rest of NEPA should bow down and kiss our feet" type attitude really makes the rest of the region want to throw up. It's like the annoying cheerleaders at the pep rally that keep chanting "we're number one!!!" when everybody knows that the team is really in last place. Scranton would be much more appealing, and wouldn't get picked on so bad, if it would stop trying to convince to world that it is so special, and such a wonderful, modern metro wonderland when clearly it is not. The cheerleaders for Scranton that totally overhype what Scranton is ruin it, and make others roll thier eyes. Having pride is one thing, but constantly boasting and bragging and acting like Scranton is the center of the universe just begs for ridicule from outsiders. Scranton needs a big heaping spoonful of humble pie...IMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania