Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
these boards are starting to numb my senses.
I nominate that as the subtitle to this entire sub-forum.

Northeastern Pennsylvania Forum, Numbing the senses since 2002*

*or whatever year the forum began diverting away from it's original purpose.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The question I've always had is what do vegans/vegetarians feed their pets? I would have to think that most dogs and cats would be pretty ticked off if you put a bowl of vegetables or some Tofu Dog/Cat Chow in front of them......
I am vegetarian and have been for years. I currently feed my pets Science Diet, as they require (as EnyaGirl points out) a diet with meat in it. I have thought about switching to one of the raw foods diets as I feel it would be the best for my cats, but finances limit me from doing it now as those diets are not cheap.

I, however, do not require meat in my diet and I can and do subsist on a diet of plants, vegetables, beans and such (No tofu or man-made pretend meat products though). I don't know why that makes me and other veggies eligible for attack. I do not have problems with others eating meat. All the Veggies I personally know feel the same way. I do not post attacks or nag/lecture or otherwise bother those that choose an omnivorous lifestyle. I have made my choice and others are free to make theirs.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I don't really care if people feel like "rolling out the welcome mat". I don't have a problem if people don't take kindly to people who are different because I feel that everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, whether or not they agree with mine. Seeing a representative of every race, creed and color sitting around a campfire singing Kumbaya is not what I was after with my statement. I just don't see why a simple thread about a vegan restaurant has to turn into a contraversial discussion about vegetarianism. I just think a little maturity and respect for your fellow posters is in order, that's all.
People should be tolerant of superficial differences amongst others. As luck would have it two Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door not long ago, and I answered the door in my pajamas. They didn't judge me for looking like I just rolled out of bed, and I conversed with them for about three or four minutes, nodding affirmations, smiling pleasantly, etc., and when there was a break in the one woman speaking I politely said "We're already devout Christians, but I appreciate your faith and trying to spread the good word to others." Others in my own subdivision even probably would have slammed the door in their faces or said "Scram!" We don't get many "visitors" to our secluded subdivision, so in a way I felt "honored" that someone rang our doorbell to try to "save our souls."

I can't imagine making fun of someone for not eating meat, for being of a different religious background, being of a different inherent sexual orientation, etc., but sadly that's not the case for most in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I just don't understand how so many around here can have the audacity to be so uninviting and hostile towards others.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
sadly that's not the case for most in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I just don't understand how so many around here can have the audacity to be so uninviting and hostile towards others.

You visited what a 5 to 6 block radius in NY and mostly busy touristy areas and probably the same for Philly.....You didn't even come close to seeing the real cities or the people in them. Hatred/racism and generaly disliking people for personal reasons takes place all over this country and in EVERY CITY. Just because you didn't see it that little area you were in doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Take a trip thru west Philly on foot at night and see if you see women holding hands......The same goes for sections of NYC. I honestly think your delusional about the rest of the world and the rest of this nation if you think that NEPA is any diffferent than any other area in the nation as far as tolerance and acceptance.

The biggest problem is that you haven't been around long enough or traveled to enough places to see what this country and the world are really like.

Also why SHOULD people be tolerant? Because you think so? People have the right to like or dislike anyone they want. Don't have to be any way they don't want to, thats what makes us the individuals that we are.

Mybe you should practice what you preach and be more accepting of those that don't agree with YOUR OPINIONS.

CHS89 I'm sorry that this is not nearly as entertaining as lets say maybe a Thorton Wilder play like Our Town but hey it is what it is....

You could always be the "Voice of Reason" on another site I'm sure.

As far as this thread and vegetarians.....My only problem is that I don't like it when vegetarians preach their ways to you if you eat meat.....

I also don't get a vegetarian restaurant serving non-veggie food and preparing it in and on the same prep areas....A true vegan would lose it if they knew that there Tofurkey was made on the same counter that a 1/2 pound of bacon was just cut up on.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Coming from the original bait and switch man himself.
Says the man who blames the mayor for everything.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
I love how its considered rude to state my love of meat to vegetarians...if that's intolerant, what do you call the PETA nuts that go around terrorizing people and throwing red paint on people, destroying property, etc?

And the owner of the place is a PETA wackjob...standing outside the circus yelling at people with a loudspeaker....I wouldn't appreciate this clown yelling things at my kids.... http://thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2001/06/07/local_news/1916706.txt (broken link)

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 01-05-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM

205 posts, read 821,098 times
Wow, there's a lot of hate in this thread!

I'm going to have to go up to Scranton and check out some of these places!
In Bethlehem, we have Vegan Treats, which is where I get all my cakes made now.. I always get donuts there for my office, and the people don't even realize they're eating vegan food.

I love the food in Scranton though, and as weluvpa says, every city has its troubled areas, but I think Scranton has a lot going for it. Plus you're close enough to NYC and Philly if you need some more varied entertainment.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I also don't get a vegetarian restaurant serving non-veggie food and preparing it in and on the same prep areas....A true vegan would lose it if they knew that there Tofurkey was made on the same counter that a 1/2 pound of bacon was just cut up on.
Dan, Eden doesn't serve non-veggie food. I assumed when I saw Sheena's post about having a "turkey club" that everyone else naturally assumed that it was in fact a "non-meat" turkey club.....in fact Blip pointed out "tofurkey and facon". Anyway, here's their online menu. As you can see, this restaurant is 100% vegetarian.
http://www.menuism.com/links/show/d5Ok2u1***3z1faby-EetH (broken link)

Now that THAT's cleared up....

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I love how its considered rude to state my love of meat to vegetarians...if that's intolerant, what do you call the PETA nuts that go around terrorizing people and throwing red paint on people, destroying property, etc?
Um...I'd call them nuts! But I must have missed all the "PETA nuts" attacking YOU in various other threads for eating meat. Oh wait.....never happened! What does your hate of PETA members have to do someone simply discussing vegetarian foods in a thread who's title clearly indicated the topic of discussion? Not ALL vegetarians are "PETA nuts" you know. And for the record, I can't STAND PETA nuts, but you don't see me attacking other people here unprovoked and throwing it in their faces how much I enjoy steak tartare! Oy vey

Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Um...I'd call them nuts! But I must have missed all the "PETA nuts" attacking YOU in various other threads for eating meat. Oh wait.....never happened! What does your hate of PETA members have to do someone simply discussing vegetarian foods in a thread who's title clearly indicated the topic of discussion? Not ALL vegetarians are "PETA nuts" you know. And for the record, I can't STAND PETA nuts, but you don't see me attacking other people here unprovoked and throwing it in their faces how much I enjoy steak tartare! Oy vey
Um, I just pointed out that the owner of that vegan restaurant is a PETA nut, and linked an article where he was yelling at families on their way to the circus through a megaphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania