Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,967 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a bordering suburb of scranton for about 4 months now. I know a lot of people check here before relocating, so I thought I'd share my experiences to possibly help others.

Of course we all have different values. I have some friends who value things like vibrant night lifes, progressive attitudes, trendy lifestyles, which for me (the father of a young family) I could care less about.

So here were my values when shopping around for where I was going to raise my family:

1) Northeastern United States (born and raised in the northeast and I am not willing to go any further away from my extended family).

2) Affordable housing - Scranton was recently ranked as one of America's most affordable cities. Personally I could say given my non-lucrative profession, I couldn’t afford half the house that I have anywhere else in the northeast.

3) Good schools – many towns surrounding Scranton have schools ranked very highly in the websites I checked.

4) Low Crime – Even the *city* of Scranton has a crime index of 3 out of 10 on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. How many cities can claim that? Yeah yeah yeah they probably “fudge the numbers” is what some would say. But you know what? I am yet to live somewhere where that same claim isn’t made.

5) Convenient to stuff - hospitals, an airport, malls, minor league baseball (a great activity if you have boys), golf, and if there’s a chain restaurant or store that nearby Dickson City does not have, then I haven’t found it. (Oh wait – we couldn’t find a Babie’s- r – us yesterday so I guess we’ll have to drive a half hour to wilkes-barre for that one.)

Of course again I’m speaking of the suburbs of Scranton. Personally I wouldn’t live *in* any city. But I do like to live close enough to leach off their conveniences ;-) So I care about some of the things people here complain about happening in Scranton about as much as someone living in Scarsdale cares what happens in the south Bronx. (Except I live much closer to my respective city than residents of scarsdale live to NYC.)

So if there’s a city that meets my above criteria better than Scranton, please do *not* tell me what it is because I’ve already moved here! Just kidding, you can tell me. But obviously I’m very satisfied with the region I have decided to raise my family. I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmaz54 View Post

3) Good schools – many towns surrounding Scranton have schools ranked very highly in the websites I checked.
Scranton schools are just as good as the surrounding school districts. I went to a "highly regarded" school district outside of Scranton, and my kids go to Scranton schools, so I can make an accurate comparison.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM

excellent point! I forgot that. In fact, scranton city schools have surpassed some of their traditionally highly ranked suburban counterparts in some rankings.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
It's so refreshing to find someone else who doesn't think the Scranton Area is a total dump! I tip my hat to you, sir!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM

203 posts, read 577,099 times
I never thought that I would live in a city. I grew up in a rural setting & wasn't interested in having very close neighbors. I must say that I really like most of my current neighbors & I live in Scranton myself. We (my 3 girls & husband & I) live in a quiet area of West Scranton.

There are definitely some things that I don't like about the Scranton school district, but overall it's good. I am currently having a tough time with my oldest, who is a senior, and have nothing but help from her principal to get her through to graduation. Not a lot of principals would be willing to bend over backwards to get a student out of trouble & back on track.

Overall I'm very happy with our decision to move to our current location & plan on staying in my home until I change my mind (or my kids grow up.)

Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM

after all the looking around (and living in some supposedly great areas) I find it easy to say positive things about the scranton area.

I also want to apologize if my original post implied that the city itself was so crappy in comparison to our suburban paradise ;-)
I actually don't know squat about the city of scranton (hopefully I will get to know it over the years). The point I was really trying to get across is that the negative stuff that we expect in any city doesn't really have anything to do with the suburbs (I was NOT saying that clarks summit is scarsdale and scranton is the south bronx ~ not that all of the south bronx is even bad, just doesn't look so nice from what i can see off the cross bronx).

From what I do know, I think scranton city seems like a fine place to raise a family. Seriously how many *cities* in the northeastern united states can you have "overall good schools"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania