Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
As an artist that works in this field, what are your favorite american big city skylines? I like Chicago alot. I also like Pittsburgh because of the three rivers and the mountainous background. I know NYC is the obvious choice, but I've seen it so many times and it's so famous that I picked something else "for a change of scenery"
I'll take Pittsburgh over Philly because of the Bridges. That view over the Pittsburgh Pirates outfield wall is enough to make a grown man cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
My favorite Skyline is Newark, NJ (so underrated). shocker right? lol.. Wilkes Barre is Nice Skyline as well. looking into Wilkes Barre from the Market St Bridge is actually serving as my wallpaper at work.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 AM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default hmmmmmmm.

As I said earlier. There are 360 angles to any photograph, especially urban landscapes. Can you post your W-B wallpaper here? I'm curious to see what you discovered.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
One of my favorite views of downtown W-B is from the top of Grove st in the city. It is not a traditional view of W-B that you normally see. It is a more industrial view, with some old factories and thier smokestacks in the forefront, the downtown skyline in the background, and the tall sphiers of St. Nicholas smack dab in the middle. I've always wanted to snap a shot from up there, but I have not gotten around to it. Check it out if you're ever passing through.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
My favorite Skyline is Newark, NJ (so underrated). shocker right? lol.. Wilkes Barre is Nice Skyline as well. looking into Wilkes Barre from the Market St Bridge is actually serving as my wallpaper at work.
Hey, I noticed that you live in East End! I grew up in that neighborhood. East End used to be the Irish section of the city. Over the years the demographics have changed though. I'm curious, what street do you live on?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Hey, I noticed that you live in East End! I grew up in that neighborhood. East End used to be the Irish section of the city. Over the years the demographics have changed though. I'm curious, what street do you live on?
He said in another thread that he lives on Maxwell Street.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I was visiting a friend the other evening who lives along Park Avenue, and I enjoyed the view from Park Avenue @ East South Street looking towards the downtown area.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM

862 posts, read 678,037 times
Glad to see that you guys liked the photos.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasiliymeshko View Post
Glad to see that you guys liked the photos.
Very well done! I am trying to start up a grassroots effort to light up our skyline for next Christmas. I've been talking to members of The Luzerne Foundation and Diamond City Partnership about it. They told me to get back to them with more details, like How much will it cost?, Who pays the electric bill?, Who installs them?, Who maintains them? ect. They said they like the idea alot, and may be able to get grant money for it!! So I'm trying to do some research on it. I found out Norfolk has lit up thier skyline, and the pictures look awesome! I have contacted Norfolk city officials to see how exactly they did thier skyline, and I have been given the e-mail address and phone number of a city counsel member who was the brains, and driving force behind lighting up Norfolk's skyline! I intend on continuing my research with this person tomorrow. I used the picture's you have posted, when I had my meeting with The Luzerne Foundation. I intend on following through with this project, and if anyone wants to join me in making this project a reality, I welcome anyone to jump onboard! I can use the help, because I'm going to have to do alot of work. I must gain permission from all the building owners, I must obtain building blueprints so I can get exact measurements, and building dimensions, I have to find out how we can raise money, If we can get corperate sponsorship from Blue Cross, Frontier, King's, Wilkes, PNC, Citizens Bank ect. (all the buildings that will be lit up), I must find a lighting provider, and prices from electricians that can install it. It's a very tall order!! I really would like to see this happen by next year in conjunction with Mayor Leighton's promise to bring back the New Years celebration next year, and his promise to install alot more street level decorations next year. Like I said, I need alot of help with this, and don't even know if it will materialize. But it's worth a shot!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 19,289 times
Quote:
I guess you're right. You need at least one modern skyscraper to have a skyline. All of NEPA's largest buildings were built over 100 years ago. I don't think there is any modern buildings with any real height to them that have been built in the last century in NEPA.
From what I can recall, most of this is due to the fact that the weight for these buildings needs to be spread out more, otherwise you get too much pressure in one spot, and if there's any mines underneath, it's more prone to cave-in's.

Whether or not this is true I can't say, but it seems to be what I recall being taught in school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania