Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

It was announced earlier today that former Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Penguins star Dennis Bonvie will be opening a new location of the Blue Chip Cookies & Ice Cream chain in the new University Square mixed-use complex at South Main & Northampton in Downtown Wilkes-Barre. My college peers and I have LONG lamented the noticeable absence of an ice cream parlor in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, as it is a pain to carpool everyone over to Dairy Queen in Kingston or up to Curly Creme in Plains Township with our lack of mass transit options, and now it feels as if Mr. Bonvie heard our whining and is going to cash in! With 14,000 workers, 6,500 college students, and a few thousand residents within a one-mile radius of Public Square, there should be PLENTY of foot traffic available to sustain this venture, especially on warmer days. My friend and I were just at Cold Stone Creamery in Moosic earlier this evening, and the place was PACKED on a very cold evening. Never underestimate the power of NEPA folks and their sweet tooths!

What better way to enjoy a date than in Downtown Wilkes-Barre with Barnes & Noble, Starbuck's, Cinema 14, F.M. Kirby Center, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Bart & Urby's, Hardware Bar, Club Luna, Rodano's, Dunkin' Donuts, Katana, Bourbon Street Saloon, Jannuzzi's, and now a new ice cream parlor chain as well? It's difficult to miss the vast improvements that have occurred under Mayor Leighton's brief tenure, and I hope Wilkes-Barre residents do the wise thing and re-elect him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Yeah, good post! I couldn't agree with you more. A good ice cream shop will fit in perfect. I also have longed for an ice cream shop to open after seeing movies at the theater and wanting to stop and get an ice cream, and what a better person then Dennis Bonvie to do it. I have also heard talk of an Irish themed restaraunt/pub opening in the theater complex in the near future. Good news for downtown Wilkes-Barre, and also good news for downtown Scranton with the opening of Kildare's.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

I can't wait until they get started on some of these "condo/loft" projects. If the price is affordable, I'll seriously consider moving downtown.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I can't wait until they get started on some of these "condo/loft" projects. If the price is affordable, I'll seriously consider moving downtown.
See my post in the Kildare's/Scranton thread about downtown living. I fear that MOST of these units in BOTH cities will be higher-end ones. Developers need to bring housing units of ALL INCOME RANGES to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre for both cities to fully realize their potential. We can't keep squeezing the poor out in order to cater to the affluent. Truth be told I've been to Downtown Newport, RI before on several occasions, and despite the magnificent architecture and lively nightlife, the people are so pretentious in how they dress, what they drive, how they look at you as you pass them, etc. that I'd NEVER want to live in such a "yuppified" area. If I can get a 1-bedroom flat in the downtown of either city for no more than $600/month rent, I'd be happy.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
See my post in the Kildare's/Scranton thread about downtown living. I fear that MOST of these units in BOTH cities will be higher-end ones. Developers need to bring housing units of ALL INCOME RANGES to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre for both cities to fully realize their potential. We can't keep squeezing the poor out in order to cater to the affluent. Truth be told I've been to Downtown Newport, RI before on several occasions, and despite the magnificent architecture and lively nightlife, the people are so pretentious in how they dress, what they drive, how they look at you as you pass them, etc. that I'd NEVER want to live in such a "yuppified" area. If I can get a 1-bedroom flat in the downtown of either city for no more than $600/month rent, I'd be happy.
I don't think your gonna find anything close to $600 a month for brand spankin' new condos in either downtown. Try double that!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 AM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Wow, I've never heard of that chain before but it sounds YUMMY! I love that there's so many ice cream spots around here, but in our area the downside is that they are all closed for the colder month. I love ice cream, who cares how cold it is!?!?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Wow, I've never heard of that chain before but it sounds YUMMY! I love that there's so many ice cream spots around here, but in our area the downside is that they are all closed for the colder month. I love ice cream, who cares how cold it is!?!?
They are a Midwestern chain mostly out in MO, IL, OH, etc. This is their first East Coast location, so we'll see how it stacks up.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
This is from TheFranchiseMall.com

How much does it cost to open a Blue Chip Cookies Franchises?

Total Investment: $175,000-$225,000
Initial Franchise Fee: $25,000
Royalty Fee: 6%
Advertising Fee: 2%
Term of Agreement: 10 years
Renewal Fee: $2500

Are there no shoestring/mom-pop start ups anymore? sigh It does seem that having that established name behind you will help, but it does cost.

Hope it works out well for everyone.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM

I think it will be very successful. There are hundreds of young people that go to the movie's right there, plus hundreds of college students, plus just about everyone loves ice cream. It'll be a great place to stop before or after a movie, or a date ect. I think it's a homerun, and I'm looking forward to that and many other buisnessess opening up in The University Corners Complex. There has been a ton of good news, and good things happening in Wilkes-Barre lately, I hope the momentum continues into 2009, andI think things are just getting started.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM

I just thought everyone might like to see just where exactly this new franchise is opening.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania