Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 31,848 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell on the internet this looks like just the kind of place I am looking for- but of course the internet can be deceptive! I was hoping to hear from people what it's like to live there (and surrounding areas)? I am looking to relocate from Northern VA to Northeastern PA somewhere. I looking for good schools for my 2 kids, an area that is scenic with easy access to recreation such as biking and camping, low traffic and generally just a good place to raise a family. Oh and also somewhere that is less competitive than here with a slower pace of life. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 06:55 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,385 times
Hi Hspj,
The Stroudsburg area is very congested from what I have seen and heard.
Alot of crime in the area too. We were near there on Memorial Day weekend and oh, the crowds!
Poke around here and read other posts about that area.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 PM

thanks bamboosmom- have you moved already?

Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,385 times
Hi H,
We haven't moved yet. Our home is for sale down here in Florida. We are moving back up north because of our business and we miss our families.
If you are looking for N.E. Pa. check out the Milford areas..and Scranton areas.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 23,042 times
My daughter has been in the E,st Stroudsburg area for a few yrs now going to college. So I have been there quite often. It is very congested and yes crime is high. She says the Broadshead area is a nice area close to Stroudsburg. A quiet calmer place to live. There is a lot to do in this area, as she says it it close to many areas, such as New York & New Jersey. A lot of shops, ski resorts, and places to eat. My teenage son has gone up there a few times and they always find something to do. Maybe this infomation will do you some good.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the info- much appreciated.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 57,877 times
I live in Stroudsburg and have for 18 years. I put 2 kids through the schools and thought they were terrific. I have never had a crime problem. Yes, the area is more congested than when we moved here. Yes, there is more crime. But there are also more opportunities. There are many areas in the district that have nice homes with land attached. I love the area and have made many, many friends through the years.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
It all depends on one's perspective, I suppose. My advice to you, HSPJ, is to take a Friday off from work some week, and then spend a weekend up here in Pennsylvania. Scout around Stroudsburg/Monroe County on Friday, Milford/Pike County on Saturday, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (about a half-hour NW) on Sunday. Stroudsburg is VERY congested, and there IS unfortunately that aura of "keeping up with the Jones's" as many of the residents here are still commuting to NYC for work and putting their large paychecks to use in outdoing each other. On the other hand, I can recall from being in my own high school's Science Olympiad a few years ago that Stroudsburg DOMINATED every event, and its school district is probably the best in Monroe County academically. My synopsis of Stroudsburg---Your kids will love the schools, and your spouse will love being only 90 minutes from Manhattan. However, you're going to feel like you're trapped on Wisteria Lane from "Desperate Housewives" with no escape!

Then you have Milford/Pike County, which is just to the north of Stroudsburg. This county is still largely unspoiled and is rife with outdoor recreational activities. The town of Milford is quaint and Victorian, (but ugly sprawl such as Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. is creeping up just to the north of town in Matamoras). The Delaware Valley School District in Milford is also exceptional, so Pike County might be just what you're looking for. However, in the long-term scope of things, Pike County will be just as suburbanized and congested as Monroe County in about ten years as the ruthless NY/NJ crowd continues to spread themselves outward.

Finally, you'll have Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, my neck of the woods. My recommendation for housing here is in Pittston, where I live, due to its VERY convenient location---Just ten minutes from either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, which are only sixteen miles apart. The community of West Pittston features tree-lined streets, an excellent school district, grand Victorian homes, and no crime (although the trade-off is that it lies in the flood plain). Pittston, like Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, is an older industrial city that has lost most of its residents and businesses to the "posh" suburbs. Nevertheless, massive revitalization efforts are underway in all three cities. The schools here are great, the area is more "laid-back" than the commuter-crazy Poconos, there are many state parks, lakes, ski areas, etc., and housing prices are the BEST asset---You can still find a great home here in the metro for around $100,000. You can't beat that in even the Poconos anymore! I may be a bit biased here, but long-term I'd recommend the Scranton area because it's "up-and-coming" yet there are still tranquil areas just outside of the hustle and bustle.

Feel free to ask away with any more questions on any of the three areas! ;o)

Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
Lightbulb consider the Slate Belt Area

Have you considered the Slate Belt Area, with Mt Bethel, the Bangors, Pen Argyl (pen Ar-jill), Wind Gap and more ? These communities are a short drive to Route 80 should NJ & NY be in your travel plans or Rt 33 South which would take you into the Lehigh Valley area or even Rt 33 North to head towards Wilkes-Barre (berry) and Scranton.

The Slate Belt towns (not cities) are growing leaps and bounds with more local conveniences (fast food, stores) arriving as we speak. Offered is a more relaxed living atmosphere and smaller schools for the kids.

I live six miles from the Portland-Columbia bridge and find most everything within a short driving distance. (food, gas, pharmacies, post offices, hardware stores, Kmart, WalMarts, Malls, Movies).

Winter driving is not too bad with a few well known problem areas (such as Rt 33 NORTH between Wind Gap and Stroudsburg). Let the road crews do their work and the roads are more than passable with careful slower driving.

Our communities are old and the in-town housing reflects that by homes being close together. If you are building new, there are larger lots available throughout the area. Land pricing has been influenced by the desire for relocation to our area, but is still attainable.

I am a life time resident of the Slate Belt and am quite happy here. Good Luck in your future plans.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Thanks

Tatli- thank you for that info.- I was almost giving up on the area having just been up to the pocono (Milford) area. I was dissapointed by how congested the area was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania