Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times

Advertisements

I just registered. Of course I'm here with a newbie question.

We spent the last couple of days looking at property in Pike, Wayne, and Monore counties. We are entering retirement years but are under 60yo....active "boomers"

We saw some lovely properties in Tanglwood Lakes, and I feel strongly attracted the area. However, we looked at a home in Locust Lake Village that is fantastic!

We are currently in Delaware, and I'm somewhat used (sometimes irritated) to the rapid growth in the beach areas of Sussex County. Still, I want to be able to access shopping, groceries, a diversity of products, and services. I would like to be surrounded by nice, community-minded folks. Like most people I want to feel safe and secure.

Thoughts, personal experience, and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
The Tanglewood Lakes area is a great place. You will be near Lake Wallenpaupack which is a beautiful lake. There is also Tanglewood North, Tink-Wig, Wallenpaupack Lake Estates, to name a few. These communities are also nice. I would choose Pike or Wayne County over Monroe County.
Pike County isn't far from many stores and things to do. Wayne County is more rural. Then if you want even a more country feel, why not try Susquehanna County or Wyoming County? You would not be far from the Dickson City area and Scranton. There are tons of stores, restaurants and things to do in that area. People from the Wayne and Pike County areas come to the Scranton area to shop, dine, see doctors, etc.
The major interstates are also at your doorstep. You can hop on 81 South and head towards Philly, NJ and even towards Delaware. You can cross onto 83 South and it will take you near Maryland, Washington DC, and South to Interstate 95.
If you stay on 81 South you can get to West Virginia, Virginia, and cross over on Rt. 17 E. which will take you to a more southern portion of 95 South that takes you straight down to the Florida Keys.
The Scranton area is booming but with all good things. You can also take the Northeast extention of the PA Turnpike that will take you towards Allentown Pa, the Bordentown area of NJ, and other areas of interest.
Keep on looking because you will be amazed at what is out here in PA.
We are from NJ and moved here 2 1/2 weeks ago and we love it. We are still close enough to go to NYC, Long Island, the Jersey Shore, and the Delware and Maryland Beaches.
I give the Scranton area a thumbs up!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks so much for the fast reply and your insights, memoriesbre.

I grew up in York County, PA and spent summers at the Delaware Beaches. Eventually, we built a vacation home there. The growth with a lack of infrastructure there has been mind boggling. Plus, it's land locked. If there's ever a need for mass evacuation, it will be a tragic situation.

We are firm on wanting a property on the water. I'm wondering about Pine Lake, and the small lake at Tanglwood. Does anyone know about the water conditions (swimming, fishing, lack of pollution, etc.)?

Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 AM

Try Wallenpaupack Lake Estates. You can even get a boatslip.
Don't know about Pine Lake. Tanglewood Lake is much smaller than Lake Wallenpaupack.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks, memories. I think we may end up at Tanglwood.

The other home further south seems to be very high end for the area. I wish I was more savvy about this stuff.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Does anyone have an idea what the shopping is like nearby Locust Lake Village? Groceries? Medical care? Car maintenance?

Do most people travel to Scranton for everyday stuff?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I have talked to alot of people in the Tanglewood Lakes area. They do tend to travel towards Dickson City and Scranton for the big box stores.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
I live right down the hill from Tanglwood. Most people around here either shop in Dickson City (chain store and restaurant heaven!) or sometimes I go to Honesdale if I just need a trip to Walmart or K-Mart (less traffic, same amount of time traveling). There is a mall in downtown Scranton, but I don't care for the city and the hassle of parking there. There are a few stores in the area for everyday stuff if you don't feel like driving.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

We did put a bid in on the Locust Lake property. The house is fantastic!

If it doesn't go through, we will be coming to Tanglwood. The surrounding area there is perfect.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we just put a bid on a house today in tanglwood lakes. we fell in love with the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania